Jetboil Flash + 1.5L Pot - Something's missing!

1:50 p.m. on May 15, 2012 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
19 forum posts

Hey Team,

first, let me thank everyone for all of the great advice they've shared with me on Trailspace.  This forum has been a Godsend as I plan my trip to Yosemite (NEXT WEEK!) with my 13 year old son.  I'm stoked...can you tell?

We did a trial run camp with our Jetboil.  and while it was AMAZING at boiling water, I was 99.9% sure that I was screwing up when I cooked bacon and scrambled eggs in the 1.5L pot.

What would you add to my cook gear to do some simple bacon & Eggs, or maybe a burger?

See you on the trail!

Rango

2:13 p.m. on May 15, 2012 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
19 forum posts

Doh!  Maybe the Jetboil fry pan is what I'm missing.
Sorry for the knucklehead post!

3:36 p.m. on May 15, 2012 (EDT)
245 reviewer rep
1,469 forum posts

idea%20good%20interesting%20light%20bulb

3:42 p.m. on May 15, 2012 (EDT)
102 reviewer rep
2,276 forum posts

While a frying pan will make it easier to fry bacon or do flapjacks, the Jetboil was intended for boiling water, and is a mediocre cooking stove at best.  You might consider a different stove if you really want to do cooking.

There are two design factors that affect a stove’s ability as a cooking stove: The burner head size, and flame adjustment capability. 

It is easier to cook when the cooking surface is evenly heated across its surface.  Basically a smaller burner head produces a more focused region of heat generated.  This creates a hot spot on a frying pan, leading to uneven heating, and possibly scorching the pan itself.  A good cooking stove usually has a relatively wide burner head to more evenly distribute heat over the entire cooking surface.  

Some stoves have flames that have a wide range of adjustment, from a candle to a blasting jet.  Some don’t.  Good cooking stoves permit precise control of the flame though out this range. 

If you want a cooking stove you might consider borrowing one that meets these performance criteria.

Ed

6:58 p.m. on May 15, 2012 (EDT)
REVIEW CORPS
755 reviewer rep
1,224 forum posts

I'm impressed that you were able to cook bacon and eggs in a JB
tall pot at all...were they edible?

My two cents FWIW (and really Ed already spelled it out quite well):

I have the JB flash, but only use it for boiling. Even with other
pots I've never been able to get even close to a simmer...full boil or nothing.

My Jet Boil anecdote: I never really wanted that stove but when I
was replacing my old cheap Coleman canister burner, the salesman was such a good guy and gave me such a passionate sales pitch about the Jetboil I just couldn't bear to not buy it. He was so into it, he demonstrated it right there at the counter for me while fully disassembling and reassembling it several times. :)

I'm too easy sometimes...but I don't really care to cook much
anyway and I've gotten a lot of reliable use out of it.

10:14 p.m. on May 15, 2012 (EDT)
110 reviewer rep
762 forum posts

Aw, don't sell the ole JB too short. Check out some of these recipes!

http://www.jetboil.com/recipes

1:21 a.m. on May 16, 2012 (EDT)
245 reviewer rep
1,469 forum posts

DSC01818ew.jpg

9:16 a.m. on May 16, 2012 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
19 forum posts

Ed, Pat, Klocker - Once again, my confidence is boosted with the sage advice.  Pat, with the JB on the lowest possible setting, I was able to move the bacon around enough so that the fat made cooking possible.  Scrambled the eggs and wiped it all down with a tortilla.  But it was a real bummer and won't be tried again!  I picked up the JB frying pan last night and cooked some bacon and eggs this morning.  While it's much better, it's still a chore. 

In thinking about dealing with bacon grease in a high bear-density area, I'm thinking I'll be in Pat's camp (metaphorically speaking) and keep the cooking to a minimum.  After all, I'll be in Yosemite.  Why waste time cooking!?

On the clean-up point, what is the safest way to deal with high-scent waste like bacon grease without creating soapy waste water and a possible bear hazard?

Callahan - LOL.

Rango

11:20 a.m. on May 16, 2012 (EDT)
110 reviewer rep
762 forum posts

Bacon fat on the trail is the equivalent of a "Yogi's 24 hour diner" sign. IMO, it's prob best to avoid it altogether.

1:25 p.m. on May 16, 2012 (EDT)
REVIEW CORPS
755 reviewer rep
1,224 forum posts

Rango,

I've never personally cooked bacon on the trail but I have seen folks let it cool and then bag it up and pack it out.

3:47 p.m. on July 4, 2012 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
126 forum posts

FRYING PAN

3:48 p.m. on July 4, 2012 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
126 forum posts

FLUX RING

3:48 p.m. on July 4, 2012 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
126 forum posts

DAH

3:50 p.m. on July 4, 2012 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
126 forum posts

DOESNT THAT COME WITH 2L POT?

3:51 p.m. on July 4, 2012 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
126 forum posts

ISNT THE 1.5 ACCESSORY?

5:17 p.m. on July 4, 2012 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
262 forum posts

On the oldie stoves, like the MSR 9, GK etc. they used a heat diffuser, actually the lid off of a large tin can, about the size of the pots diameter, or the ones I have, about 4" in diameter.  I'm away from home, so cannot measure one.  I've fixed bacon in the back country a few times, would be an issue in places like Yosemite dumping the grease, better to pack it out after wiping out with a paper towel.  Oily stuff is a pita.  Fix the bacon on a weekend trip, but it tastes so good with egg and a grilled english muffin. :)

Duane

11:15 a.m. on July 5, 2012 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
19 forum posts

Hey Guys,

Our trip to Yosemite was AMAZING, in no small part to the great advice I received from y'all while I was planning.  I'll post more in the other section.

The JetBoil kicks butt for boiling water and simmering veggies in the pot.  But the frying pan and bacon was a pain.  The bacon was yummy in a tortilla with eggs, but not worth the effort, clean up and bear worry.  I won't do it next time. 

Thanks again for everyone's help and advice!

Rango

1:11 a.m. on July 6, 2012 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
606 forum posts

The only bacon I take in the woods is the little pieces in a bag. It doesnt need to be cold, I take a tomato, lettuce and wraps. Makes a great lunch you can eat on the go if you want. I have scrambled it into eggs, but I live in the east. Im not sure I would cook with it oit west as the smell is much stronger. It has very little smell until you heat it up and comes in a resealable bag. Its also real good added to most boiled water meals, mashed potatoes or pasta espescially. Sorry I wandered off topic but everybody loves bacon.

July 23, 2014
Quick Reply