who brought the utensils

8:34 p.m. on May 24, 2012 (EDT)
73 reviewer rep
31 forum posts

IMG_0057-1-.jpg
 I recently went on fishing trip ,with the old man and a friend . Oh yah my brother-inlaw too. It was car camping what could be easier .  Since I'm the hiking outdoors person , i grabbed my pack plus a good run of what you can fit in a f350 super duty. That should be everything in the house . coleman stove , lantern , pots pans , tents , 2 kayaks , and of course fishing stuff. We agreed to bring our own plates and forks . As it would be everyone forgot forks . Since i always grab my loaded pack , oh yah titanium spork and frisbee for plate . My good  friends is from Laos . He carved out 3 pair of chop sticks under 5 mins . So it isn't to exciting. I had forgot a fork years  ago ,but never thought to carve out chop stick. I just used my hands . just wondered if anyone else has done that.   

12:28 a.m. on May 25, 2012 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
913 forum posts

No but will definitely keep it in mind since I can use chop sticks.

10:32 a.m. on May 25, 2012 (EDT)
344 reviewer rep
1,124 forum posts

Had to make these years ago.
100_2276.jpg

10:48 a.m. on May 25, 2012 (EDT)
73 reviewer rep
31 forum posts

Do you ever still use them or have them. I do a lot of scouting so I have to show all things i come up with . i carved a spoon for a kid and he still uses it. Well maybe not know

3:16 p.m. on May 25, 2012 (EDT)
179 reviewer rep
191 forum posts

Hehe, this happened one of the first backpacking trips I took my nephews on.

I dropped three swiss army rucksacks off at their house along with a list of what they should pack inside them.

This was a short summer trip so the list was pretty brief and included just the basics like a sleeping bag, a fleece jacket, an empty plastic cottage cheese container or the like to eat out of and a fork and so forth. I carried all the food and did the cooking, and the eldest nephew carried the tarp which was our shelter.

Naturally, they forgot everything on the list except their sleeping bags, and filled the packs with piles of flashlights, knives, toys and junk!

Out in the woods I cooked spaghetti for dinner, then told ‘em to break out their forks and bowls! When they got quiet and sort of fidgeted about I just laughed….

I had ‘em each cut their own set of chop sticks, and we gathered up enough empty cans and what-not for them to eat out of. It was the last time they forgot to bring eating tools!

4:51 p.m. on May 25, 2012 (EDT)
73 reviewer rep
31 forum posts

that is awsome

2:40 p.m. on May 30, 2012 (EDT)
TOP 25 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
773 reviewer rep
681 forum posts

Early in our courtship my (the future) wife and I went on a canoe trip on Lake Umbagog, and managed to forget utensils, and managed to get through dinner with sprucewood chopsticks. But to impress her I brought along some homemade Mint Milano ice cream in a steel thermos. I still have a picture of her trying to eat ice cream out of a thermos with chopsticks. The good news is if you wait long enough you can just pour and drink whatever you can't get out with the chopsticks.

12:09 a.m. on July 2, 2012 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
1 forum posts

I could imagine how your wife could be eating the ice cream with chopsticks.And yeah the ice cream would melt and she could just drink it.

3:16 p.m. on July 4, 2012 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
126 forum posts

I DID,lexan

5:26 p.m. on July 22, 2012 (EDT)
21 reviewer rep
1,243 forum posts

I used to take crews of people in "the field" often for up to 10 days at a time.  I had ex NOLS instructors, exloggers, all types of people.  Some were archaeologists.  They made all sorts of tools on the spot.  Chopsticks were commonly used to eat things out of cans like fruit.  Some were good flint nappers and could cut anything with found objects.

I have used a small axe in permanent camps to make thinks like wooden spoons and pancake turners.

9:14 p.m. on July 25, 2012 (EDT)
210 reviewer rep
4,284 forum posts

I use a Spork I got in jail a few years ago for hiking in the Grand Canyon without a permit. It was my third offence.  I refused to pay to sleep in the backcountry when I spent 30-180 days of each year hiking there. The GC is one of the few that charge for hiking. $ a day. Wasn't in my hiking budget which was $200 a month for food. I got 13 days in jail, 3 years expulsion from the GC.

November 22, 2014
Quick Reply