DIY Bear Keg

4:36 p.m. on June 24, 2012 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
89 forum posts

Hey yall, saw this on instructables... thought it'd be worth sharing on here!
I have yet to make one! so I cannot offer any advice! Good luck to anyone who tries it!

http://www.instructables.com/id/Home-Made-Bear-Keg/

6:21 p.m. on June 24, 2012 (EDT)
MODERATOR REVIEW CORPS
998 reviewer rep
3,475 forum posts

I'll get right on it, thanks for the heads up on what could be an interesting project, haha.

I also read it was tested in KY....you don't say!

Well, I shouldn't poke fun I'm still using a bear bag.

Mike G.

6:38 p.m. on June 24, 2012 (EDT)
TOP 10 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
2,329 reviewer rep
5,282 forum posts

Somehow, I don't think it would pass the scrutiny of the Yosemite, Sequoia-Kings Canyon, Yellowstone, Glacier, or Denali NP rangers or the Inyo NF rangers. The comment by the poster that the intention is to haul it up in a tree, makes me more suspicious about his having a large lack of bear experience.

Buckets like this are often used by thru-hikers to ship their re-supplies to designated resupply points. I do know that people have tried using buckets of this type as bear cannisters - unsuccessfully.

6:49 p.m. on June 24, 2012 (EDT)
MODERATOR REVIEW CORPS
658 reviewer rep
2,148 forum posts

Yeah, I don't think that would stand up to the rather notable force even a mid sized black bear can inflict on the side of the container. 

12:16 p.m. on June 25, 2012 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
89 forum posts

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sv2G-aRDvyY

I'd rather have one of these!!

but it may be fine for me while i'm in Texas... there's been one sighting of a black bear in Texas in almost 25 years haha!

12:32 p.m. on June 25, 2012 (EDT)
TOP 10 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
2,329 reviewer rep
5,282 forum posts

Sooooo ... where can I get one, how much do they weigh, how small do they pack, what is the battery capacity, can it be solar charged, and how much do they cost?

Keep it well away from your tent if you sleep-walk!

1:47 p.m. on June 25, 2012 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
89 forum posts

When I went on my trip 2 years ago, they said it was a NOLS exclusive because they were making us hamsters and testing it for the Rangers or something... They were trying to train the bears too... theres 3 lights on them and they flash as to train the bears to just avoid it!

And hah, we still did 100 yards away even with that deal!

40436_452150276788_6253180_n.jpg

the kid in the very back has the bear fence in his waterbottle holder sticking, just so you get an idea of how it is to carry

And I guess they're starting to sell them now, look around there may be more, or contact NOLS and just ask them what brand it is they use...

http://www.udap.com/bearshock.htm
This one is the "Camp Fence" its cheaper and lighter, but i guess you set it up everynight?? idk why you couldn't use it for your food...

http://www.udap.com/bearshockfood.htm
this is the food fence, very similar, but no cigar! i really dont recall everything weighing to 9 lbs.. i guess it was split up over quite a few of us!

12:54 p.m. on June 26, 2012 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
910 forum posts

I read an account of somebody using one in Alaska on a fishing trip, but they set their tent inside the fence also for protection from the bears.

I don't understand why you would put your tent in it myself.  The bears might catch a whiff of food on you after being frustrated by the fence and decide to check out your tent.

7:23 p.m. on June 26, 2012 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
89 forum posts

I'm not sure exactly what you mean... your sentences kinda clash in that last paragraph..

Anywanys, the way i see it, is they are mainly used with large expedition groups, of 12-16 people! It'll be a lot lighter on your expedition if you have 1 of those for 12-16 bags than it would to have 3-4, extra bear fences and 4-5 rope bags!

Since people have survived thus far, without them, why increase the load?

Now if its just 3-4 people going out and you have a fence, I say put yourself in it, and hang the food!

August 27, 2014
Quick Reply