Food!

1:55 a.m. on July 25, 2001 (EDT)
(Guest)

Hello all, Im leaving for a week long backpack trip into the sierra and am wondering about an "affordable" alternative to store bought dehydrated/freezedried foods. I dont have a dehydrator and Ive noticed that MRE's are way out of the question ( too heavy ). Does anyone out there have any week long menu suggestions?? It would help me out alot.
Thanks In Advance,
Jerry

7:12 a.m. on July 25, 2001 (EDT)
(Guest)

Have you checked your supermarket? The rice/noodle/potato/couscous dishes are much tastier than the expensive freeze dried. Some of them take less than 10 minutes to cook. I supplement them with freeze dried veggies and meats.

12:52 p.m. on July 25, 2001 (EDT)
(Guest)

a.k.a. Bob Brainard
Likewise

Quote:

Have you checked your supermarket?

That is what I routinely do. Very cost and weight efficient.

Bob

7:40 a.m. on July 26, 2001 (EDT)
(Guest)

Quote:

Hello all, Im leaving for a week long backpack trip into the sierra and am wondering about an "affordable" alternative to store bought dehydrated/freezedried foods. I dont have a dehydrator and Ive noticed that MRE's are way out of the question ( too heavy ). Does anyone out there have any week long menu suggestions?? It would help me out alot.
Thanks In Advance,
Jerry

I particularly like the Lipton brand rice and noodle combos. Most of them require that you cook for 10 min. Some say to add margerine or butter. You can delete that but I usually add a little oil (I carry in a small bottle) and maybe some Butter Beads.
One point I'm still dealing with is protein. I've noticed that Jerky has become very popular recently. Grocery Stores in my area now have special displays for two different brands. Also the pre-cooked non-refrigerated bacon can be good (not sure how long it will last after you have opened the package!). I used to add Baco's bacon flavored soy bits to meals and also found that the toasted soy beans were good, added after cooking, and added protein.

10:09 p.m. on July 26, 2001 (EDT)
(Guest)

www.adventurefoods.com

December 20, 2014
Quick Reply