Thermos cooking

6:22 p.m. on July 18, 2012 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
4 forum posts

I'm deciding to thermos cook to save time and fuel. Would this method be the least likely to attract animals? Is this a common practice were theirs high risk of bear encounter?

8:30 p.m. on July 18, 2012 (EDT)
245 reviewer rep
1,469 forum posts

The question is how long can your thermos hold heat ?

9:25 p.m. on July 18, 2012 (EDT)
200 reviewer rep
4,080 forum posts

And if you put foods to cook inside a thermos, will it expand too much. Like cooking pasta or rice? I tried this method once using a Nalgene water bottle but put too much pasta inside and when the pasta soaked up the hot water it exploded the bottle.

10:43 a.m. on July 19, 2012 (EDT)
TRAILSPACE STAFF
411 reviewer rep
1,025 forum posts

Welcome to Trailspace john4232!

Determining the risk of your cooking method has everything to do with the details.  Would you leave your thermos, brimming with honey- ginger salmon, overnight in your tent? Or would you hang it with the rest of your food and cookware? Are you camping in bear country?  Lots of variables determine your exact level of risk.

Thermos (what is the plural? "Thermi?") are often quite heavy.  If you're interested in taking advantage of retailed heat to cook, you could also consider a pot-kozy, or some of the custom kozies made for "freezer bag cooking."

11:38 a.m. on July 19, 2012 (EDT)
MODERATOR REVIEW CORPS
658 reviewer rep
2,148 forum posts

Welcome, John4232! 

I others have asked some great questions above, which will help us answer effectively. Would you mind telling us a little more about yourself, where you'll be hiking, and about the process you'll be using for "thermos" cooking?

1:48 p.m. on July 19, 2012 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
4 forum posts

I'm going to be hiking the Appalachian trail going through Vermont and Maine. I plan to just boil water in a kettle in the morning/night then to put it directly in my thermos with either rice (maybe with some tuna), barley, noddles, etc so I can get up and go, or go right to bed. I would think this is as good as any other bear proof container as long as you don't get any on the outside. So wouldn't this be the safest way to cook wear bear might be a problem? It also seems clean up would not be as big of an issue, maybe not even necessary after every meal. I have another thermos for hot beverages. Should I be hanging everything up in a tree? If so whats the plan when theirs no trees? Say out west were theirs even more things to worry about like mnt. lion, grizzly, and wolf? Obviously bring some kind of mace or a gun, but whats the routine?

2:01 p.m. on July 19, 2012 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
4 forum posts

I have a Stanley 17oz food thermos that holds heat for up to 12 hrs and a 1.1qt Stanley that holds for up to 24 hrs. Your right Seth they are quite heavy but you cant beat their efficiency.

10:00 p.m. on July 19, 2012 (EDT)
284 reviewer rep
140 forum posts

I use the 16 oz Klean Kanteen and at best I would say 8 hours if you control the amount of time you open and close the top.  If you put a wool sock around the kanteen you could get another 2 to 4 hours, or put it in your pack around a soft shell.  I use it mostly for coffee and I have used it 4 times with mountain house products with no problems, but with klean your time is limited.

July 30, 2014
Quick Reply