breakfast suggestions?

1:32 a.m. on June 27, 2001 (EDT)
(Guest)

hello, i'm looking for some new breakfast suggestions for a four day excursion. oatmeal and one meal of eggs just aren't going to cut it for me. any suggestions?

thanks,

B.

6:07 a.m. on June 27, 2001 (EDT)
30 reviewer rep
1,238 forum posts
Two envelopes of instant buttery grits & coffee bags....

Very light to hump, will carry you thru till lunch.

9:58 a.m. on June 27, 2001 (EDT)
(Guest)

B,

Try bagels, wraps, or pita bread with Peanut Butter, jelly, cream cheese or whatever. A good source of Protien and lots of carbs. Try to eat as much as possible in the AM. As the saying goes, "it's the most important meal of the day". Also, you can take along some unpealed potatoes and whip up some hash browns to go with your eggs. Again, lots of necessary carbs, quite filling, and pretty easy to make.

Quote:

hello, i'm looking for some new breakfast suggestions for a four day excursion. oatmeal and one meal of eggs just aren't going to cut it for me. any suggestions?

thanks,

B.

10:10 a.m. on June 27, 2001 (EDT)
(Guest)

I've lately developed an addiction for instant potatoes as a break-fast meal. Add some spice to taste....

Or....make a breakfast burrito. Tortillas, instant eggs, maybe some beans...whatever turns your fancy...

10:27 a.m. on June 27, 2001 (EDT)
(Guest)

I don't know where you reside, Brian. But we descovered a breakfast taste treat for the trail last time we were in TN. Quaker sells packets of instant grits. Various flavors are: country ham with red eye gravy, cheddar cheese, butter, and country bacon. And of course plain which you can doctor to suit your fancy. They are delicious.

10:27 a.m. on June 27, 2001 (EDT)
(Guest)

Larger super markets have a health food section. Look for (and try before going out) GeniSoy. I like the Chocolate flavor as a suppliment to whatever else is going on for breakfast. A good bit of protien.

12:39 p.m. on June 27, 2001 (EDT)
(Guest)

a.k.a. Sascha Bosetzky

If you pay the baby-food section of your supermarket a visit, you might find some nice instant mash. They usually contain milkpowder, some cereals and all sorts of vitamins and minerals and come in every conceivable flavor. One can add dried bananas, nuts, raisins and really get a nutrious meal,which is prepared in an instant.
It might not suit everybodies gusto, but I can eat it two weeks in a row no problem.

5:22 a.m. on June 28, 2001 (EDT)
(Guest)

It's thumbs up on the grits. Hard boiled eggs are great with them, toast (I just held the bread close to the stove til it browned, then put on some peanut butter).

I am going again next week and will most likely have this again. It was very filling.

Hikergirl

7:49 a.m. on June 28, 2001 (EDT)
(Guest)

poptarts

they get crumbled but they're still tasty. mucho calories too.

Woody

11:42 a.m. on June 28, 2001 (EDT)
30 reviewer rep
1,238 forum posts
I used to eat those religously on the trail....

Finally gave them up, they always seemed to lay in my stomach like I had eaten glazing compound.

I then switched to the instant oatmeal. That was good, but I got hungry quickly. Grits will hold me untill lunch.

4:31 p.m. on June 28, 2001 (EDT)
(Guest)

instant pancakes....

they come in those little bottles/jars. just add water and shake the bottle. pour onto pan and cook. may not be practicale for a long hike...but good.

Quote:

thanks,

B.

8:10 a.m. on June 30, 2001 (EDT)
(Guest)

YES! These are pretty good. (n/m)

Quote:

I don't know where you reside, Brian. But we descovered a breakfast taste treat for the trail last time we were in TN. Quaker sells packets of instant grits. Various flavors are: country ham with red eye gravy, cheddar cheese, butter, and country bacon. And of course plain which you can doctor to suit your fancy. They are delicious.

3:51 p.m. on July 1, 2001 (EDT)
37 reviewer rep
747 forum posts
Re: I used to eat those religously on the trail....

Religous fanatics in Yosemite have occasionally kept me awake with their singing, but to eat them as they come down the trail is diabollical!
Jim (:->)

12:06 p.m. on July 2, 2001 (EDT)
30 reviewer rep
1,238 forum posts
As Hannibal Lector once said: "With a little Heinz 57 sauce, anyone can taste pretty good" n/m

n/m

9:37 p.m. on December 8, 2002 (EST)
(Guest)

Re: As Hannibal Lector once said: "With a little Heinz 57 sauce, anyone can taste pretty good" n/m

have you been to the Albert Fish website? The real Hannibal Lector.

August 30, 2014
Quick Reply