Plastic cup revenge

8:51 a.m. on September 16, 2012 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
606 forum posts

My buddy always gives me a hard time about my old boy scouts plastic cup. I have used it forever,its light and it has markings to tell how much liquid is in it. He bought a really nice titanium cup this past summer and has been bragging about how great it is. Well last night was pretty cold here in nh, and this morning he was freezing so he made coffee real early, before the sun came up. He couldnt wait, he poured the boiling cowboy coffee in his wonderful ti cup. Then with the first sip he peeled the skin off his lips because the metal was so hot. My old plastic cup didnt hurt my lips a bit! Now he says he needs a silicone ring to put around the top of his cup. Wouldnt a plastic cup be easier?

12:06 p.m. on September 16, 2012 (EDT)
21 reviewer rep
1,159 forum posts

Your buddy has been seduced by advertising.  I would lose interest in a "buddy" that gives me a hard time about what type of cup I use.  Doesn't he have anything more important to think about?  If it is too hot for your lips it is too hot to swallow.  That is why Chinese tea cups don't have a handle.

1:18 p.m. on September 16, 2012 (EDT)
MODERATOR REVIEW CORPS
998 reviewer rep
3,475 forum posts

I say use your trusty plastic cup with pride!

I have a Ti mug but I use it on my stove to brew with, let it sit a minute and then pour my beverage into a .5 L HDPE nalgene bottle. I often screw the lid on tight and toss it aside to let it cool some more because I don't like my drinks super hot. The HDPE doesn't transfer heat like metal does and I have never burned my mouth that way.

Also, if his coffee was "boiling" it was brewed to hot to begin with, but I know people who fix it that way.

I'm sorry your friend got burned trying to warm up with some coffee.

Mike G.

2:13 p.m. on September 16, 2012 (EDT)
284 reviewer rep
141 forum posts

ppine said:

That is why Chinese tea cups don't have a handle.

I never thought of this before and it does make sense.

5:52 p.m. on September 16, 2012 (EDT)
REVIEW CORPS
1,245 reviewer rep
1,270 forum posts

This may sound strange, but although I've been using a plastic cup, I've been considering swapping it for titanium for a different reason.  In warm weather, the plastic cup keeps my tea too hot! :)  It takes quite a while for it to cool enough to be drinkable.  I figured titanium wouldn't hold the heat as well, and therefore would cool more quickly...

In cool/cold weather I'll stick with the plastic though :).

5:57 p.m. on September 16, 2012 (EDT)
12 reviewer rep
843 forum posts

I have an old insulated mug I use for everything, cup, bowl, etc - hot stays hot, cold stays cold, and no skin peeling. snowpeak makes little silicone edge liners for thier ti mugs, they call them "hot lips" - I wonder why!  

10:59 a.m. on September 17, 2012 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
606 forum posts

He thinks his ti cup is awesome. Its the lightest,newest thing on the market. I hike with the same two guys a lot. My neighbor is a great guy, this is his friend from work. He only goes on about one trip out of four, and is not my favorite person. My nwighbor has kids the same age and similar views on the woods and life as me. Sometimes you gotta take the good with the bad. I dont really mind him going with us because he spends way too much money on the newest everything, and I get to play with it. He doesnt have a prob using my cup to measure the water for his food but wouldnt lower himself to drink out of it. I dont drink coffee anyway, the stuff he boils is the blackest, nastiest looking brew I have ever seen. They call it cowboy or watch coffee, seems to get them fired up for the trail like rocket fuel. To me putting up with other people and maybe learning something is part of packing. He does have some good hiking ethics and good bushcraft skills, he just wants everybody to know it.

11:03 a.m. on September 17, 2012 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
606 forum posts

Mike dont be sorry he burned his lips. He had just finished bragging about his wonderful cup about three seconds before it happened. Plus it was really funny. The best part of this whole thing was that his mouth hurt too much for him to run it for the hike out or the ride home.

2:54 p.m. on September 17, 2012 (EDT)
121 reviewer rep
291 forum posts

I say he now gets a new nickname befitting his stupidity. Then everytime he mouths off about something, you just respond "whatever you say _____"

Now we just need to come up with something appropriate.

4:13 p.m. on September 17, 2012 (EDT)
200 reviewer rep
4,148 forum posts

I use a 4 ounce plastic cup (no handle) for a breakfast bowl while I am on my current 1000 mile bicycle tour from Wyoming to Arizona. It works good and is superlight!

6:17 p.m. on September 17, 2012 (EDT)
12 reviewer rep
843 forum posts

I say "long live plastic!"...I don't like boiling hot coffee either...I let the water bubble but not boil - hot enough to kill the bugs but not burn me. I've come across those kind of people before...gotta have the new crap, no matter what...

10:53 a.m. on September 18, 2012 (EDT)
21 reviewer rep
1,159 forum posts

Call him "Fat Lips."

5:28 p.m. on September 18, 2012 (EDT)
REVIEW CORPS
1,245 reviewer rep
1,270 forum posts

Geeze, is this really what this forum has come to?  Making up names for people who do things we disagree with?

8:18 p.m. on September 18, 2012 (EDT)
REVIEW CORPS
592 reviewer rep
1,514 forum posts

I like Hotdog man's assessment of the guy. We don't have to like everything about everybody. And we do learn about oursleves when reflected against the things we don't like about others. I would hate for everyone to be like me. I like who I am, but would get bored listening to clones of myself all day. Not to mention that even a broken watch is right twice a day so he may even have some enjoyment to being around. The larger considerations of his being a friend of a friends whos kids play with his kidsreveals a prudent hotdogman.

10:20 p.m. on September 18, 2012 (EDT)
TOP 25 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
2,439 reviewer rep
1,292 forum posts

first, OW. 

second, i have 2 cups.  3 season, i use a steel cup with a folding handle.  not as light as titanium, but very sturdy.

winter, i have a 32 oz. thermos 'nissan' bottle - folding plastic handle, black mesh nylon strap, chrome outside, steel inner bottle.  not what you would find in a businessperson's briefcase, but rather what someone might toss into the back of a pickup on a construction site.  it is years old and battered on the outside, but fully functional.  most important, the mouth and the top, which doubles as a cup, are PLASTIC.  i like carrying it in the winter with hot tea because it keeps the tea hotter than a nalgene bottle with a winter jacket.  but even if i leave the bottle at home (it's heavy), the plastic top became my winter cup years ago. 

ps - i also have a titanium bowl that i use year-round.  i don't think i have ever put my mouth on it in cold weather. 

11:04 p.m. on September 18, 2012 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
89 forum posts

I prefer a plastic, or one of them collapsible doo-hickeys! I usually am with groups that are on a time crunch! therefore, I don't have time to waste waiting for coffee to cool!

11:54 p.m. on September 18, 2012 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
606 forum posts

Ive actually been calling him blister. I hate to bash him, hes really a nice guy. Some people just dont get along with some other people. Hes like nails on a chalkboard to me sometimes, but I dont own the woods. I would rather go by myaelf most of the time, but my wife worries if im alone during the winter. I would rather go with him than not go at all. Isnt tuning people like him what headphones were made for?

10:52 a.m. on September 19, 2012 (EDT)
REVIEW CORPS
592 reviewer rep
1,514 forum posts

Blister! Ha. Well, you do have a good attitude, Hotdog man. We had one guy on the everest trek that was SOOO annoying. But he was there for his reasons and I was there for mine. Though I didn't like him, he is still part of the story.

3:29 p.m. on September 19, 2012 (EDT)
MODERATOR REVIEW CORPS
658 reviewer rep
2,148 forum posts

I love my Ti mug, and I still love my heavier stainless one, and still like my old  plastic mug, too. I went to the stainless one so I could heat or boil water and not have a second container, and now thanks to a sweet Christmas present from my wife,  I enjoy the unnecessary luxury of titanium. But lordy, you best know you can't drink out of a metal mug right off the flame. But a meager allotment of intelligence should make that apparent to anyone.

As for annoying follks on the trail, I try not to be to negative or easily annoyed. But some yahoos make it very trying, Lol!  

Oh, and if you don't know who "That Guy" is in your group, your probably him ;) 

5:34 p.m. on September 20, 2012 (EDT)
2,439 reviewer rep
1,292 forum posts

clockwise, titanium bowl, steel cup, and plastic thermos bottle top.  can't drink from a metal cup when it's too hot OR too cold!!

post-trip tip: powdered cleaner called barkeeper's friend will take pretty much any burned residue off metal cups and bowls. 

image.jpg

8:37 p.m. on September 20, 2012 (EDT)
12 reviewer rep
843 forum posts

I finally broke down and got a ti kettle for boiling water, but the only place I've used it so far is at home. the water seems to boil alittle faster than with my old aluminum pot, the ti cools down fast too. I'm waiting to break it in on the trail...:P

11:48 a.m. on September 21, 2012 (EDT)
MODERATOR REVIEW CORPS
658 reviewer rep
2,148 forum posts

Trailjester, that the Ti cools down quickly is one of the things I like as well. As you can heat in the mug, and yet the metal above the liquid cools quickly, allowing drinking as soon as the liquid is cool enough. It also means your beverage cools quickly too, but I don't mind that too much. 

6:27 p.m. on September 21, 2012 (EDT)
1,357 reviewer rep
1,339 forum posts

Chinese tea cups are held by the base ring and the lip. I would think that, since porcelain is a very poor conductor like plastic, the areas farther from the hot liquid stay cooler and can be held in comfort. You can hold boiling tea that way without burning your fingers, but you can most certainly scald your lips if you drink the liquid.

8:26 p.m. on September 21, 2012 (EDT)
12 reviewer rep
843 forum posts

never thought of using the kettle to drink out of - when it's hot it's HOT....always drink out of my plastic insulated mug...call me set in my ways...:P

12:35 p.m. on September 22, 2012 (EDT)
284 reviewer rep
141 forum posts

For what it's worth, I feel sometimes it's better to help someone then laugh at them, because next time it could be you, but I have to laugh at this, who knew..

http://www.rei.com/product/807754/snow-peak-titanium-mug-with-hotlips

1:50 a.m. on September 23, 2012 (EDT)
1,339 reviewer rep
259 forum posts

I tried using a metal cup when I first got into backpacking.  It was always too hot at the pour, and got cold too quick to finish the meal or beverage.

Later, my famly and  I switched to GSI plastic cups, then I moved to the GSI measured cup that stacked better, then to the GSI measure and insulated cup with lid.  My friend was teasing me about having the lid on my mug.  After she fished pine needles out of coffee EVERY morning for 9 days, she doesn't tease me any more...

10:20 p.m. on September 24, 2012 (EDT)
121 reviewer rep
291 forum posts

bheiser1 said:

Geeze, is this really what this forum has come to?  Making up names for people who do things we disagree with?

I've been so incredibly busy with work lately I have very little time anymore to participate here, so I don't intend to start hashing over something this trivial but...

For clarity, I said what I did "mostly" in jest, though it can be an effective and harmless way of shutting up a loud mouth that just won't quit & equally has no right to be harassing others. If he wishes to avoid the nickname, it's a simple matter of acting civil.

I'll also note that while some were busy taking the moral high ground and claiming it for their own, they didn't offer any better, or any at all, suggestions of how to deal with this. I am curious though Oldman Mike, how, exactly you would "help" this uh, gentlemen?

And cut me a break will ya, I'm from Jersey remember... We have a thing for nicknames up here. Didn't you ever watch the Suprano's? - For the record, I gagged when I typed that cause I hate that show like nothing else, and all other mob movies/shows for that matter.

10:55 a.m. on September 25, 2012 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
606 forum posts

If he hadnt subjected us to a ten minute spiel about how much better his cup was, then three seconds later he was spewing coffee and jumpin around like a lunatic it wouldnt have been funny. Hows that for a run on sentence. The situation was funny not the minor burns he got. He was able to eat and talk with minimal discomfort. I knew everyone has a friend like this, thought everyone could relate. He has accepted and even signed a shelter register with his new name blister. Had he been seriously injured I would have posted a warning not a story. Sorry if anybody is offended.

3:53 p.m. on September 25, 2012 (EDT)
MODERATOR REVIEW CORPS
658 reviewer rep
2,148 forum posts

That's great that he has embraced the trail name, Ha! 

My trail name was begrudgingly accepted after hating it for years. It was bestowed because my hiking friends said I was half Gonzo and half Tarzan. They meant it as a compliment, but I couldn't stand it for a long time. But eventually I saw the humor and embraced my inner "Gon-Zan"

4:44 p.m. on September 25, 2012 (EDT)
12 reviewer rep
843 forum posts

is your buddy still using his ti cup to drink out of? if he is we might need to change his nickname.

7:19 p.m. on September 25, 2012 (EDT)
121 reviewer rep
291 forum posts

gonzan said:

That's great that he has embraced the trail name, Ha! 

My trail name was begrudgingly accepted after hating it for years. It was bestowed because my hiking friends said I was half Gonzo and half Tarzan. They meant it as a compliment, but I couldn't stand it for a long time. But eventually I saw the humor and embraced my inner "Gon-Zan"

See, now I never knew there was a story behind it. I always thought it was a cool name but the story makes it much easier to appreciate.

9:59 p.m. on September 26, 2012 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
606 forum posts

Update; blister showed up at my house an hr ago. He got his hot lips delivered today. I have renamed him hoolihan. In honor of that great old show mash. I figured he would balk at margaret.

4:06 p.m. on September 27, 2012 (EDT)
12 reviewer rep
843 forum posts

just call him hot lips...cut to the chase!

12:48 p.m. on September 29, 2012 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
606 forum posts

Thats the beauty of it. He is under thirty, and doesnt watch tv so he has no idea what hoolihan means. We get to laugh at him inside. Plus I dont really wanna hurt his feelings.

September 16, 2014
Quick Reply