Africa: what food to carry in rural and wilderness areas

11:43 p.m. on October 31, 2012 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
1 forum posts

Well, I rode my bike for several months around eastern Africa this year.

Sometimes food was pretty darn scarce to come by. Sometimes, out in the middle of nowhere, you could get invited in by the locals for a delicious, friendly meal spanning an entire afternoon or evening. Other times, villages were all but hostile, had nowhere to buy anything, and the best you could do was to buy some chappati or injera or foufou/ugali from a local, and if you were lucky some fruit and veg. How to make a nutritious "meal" that will provide a good amount of fuel for your body?

Always carry a jar of honey and a jar of peanut butter in your panniers. You can put them with just about any starchy carrier and this will get you through the scarce times, or tide you over when you're famished, it's already dinnertime, and there's another hour or two to go till you arrive at the safety of the next village. You can pick it up in larger urban centres. If you can only buy glass jars, transfer it to a plastic one so it's lighter and more durable.

There you have it! Peanut butter and honey sandwiches, African-style!

3:46 p.m. on November 5, 2012 (EST)
21 reviewer rep
1,080 forum posts

My brother rode a truck across Africa for 7 months with a bunch of Brits and Kiwis.  They started in London and ended up in Kenya near Nairobi.  Food is definitely scarce in central Africa especially.  For several week the only avialable foods were bush meat (mostly monkeys), mantiock and bananas.  They could always trade tablets of paper and Bic pens for food.  Many countries in central Africa have no postal system, no road maintenance, no airplanes, and no telephones and not much of anything else.

It gives words like remote and wilderness a new conotation.

10:01 a.m. on November 6, 2012 (EST)
TRAILSPACE STAFF
411 reviewer rep
1,028 forum posts

Welcome to Trailspace Piano  I'd love to see some trip reports and pictures from your incredible journeys in Africa!

August 1, 2014
Quick Reply