How to make fire from ice

2:51 p.m. on January 4, 2013 (EST)
200 reviewer rep
4,133 forum posts
3:00 p.m. on January 10, 2013 (EST)
200 reviewer rep
4,133 forum posts

I guess no one is interested in this idea or you just read about it with no comment?

3:57 a.m. on January 11, 2013 (EST)
52 reviewer rep
312 forum posts

Gary, when I clicked on it, there is a video about poison ivy, so they must change or update automatically. Also, it traps your browser so you cannot backpage to here that easily. Is it the ice sunlight magnifier trick?

What about a video on making gold from lead, that would be handy.

12:28 p.m. on January 12, 2013 (EST)
200 reviewer rep
4,133 forum posts

Try this one: www.wimp.com/fireice

11:02 a.m. on January 20, 2013 (EST)
1,357 reviewer rep
1,339 forum posts

Looks like he's doing it on a relatively warm day, using a piece of ice from one location to heat dry tinder at another. I wonder how well it would work in snow-covered terrain on a -20° day when everything's damp. 

Still, pretty neat that it actually works!

11:55 a.m. on January 20, 2013 (EST)
200 reviewer rep
4,133 forum posts

I am not sure that it would work on a cold winter day. I think the sun would be to far away to work. And if it were minus 20 I would not be trying to start a campfire I would be using a good winter stove!

I was winter camping in the high Sierra above Yosemite in the spring of 1980 and on top of El Capitain. All the wood I could find was damp and the ground was covered by 6 feet of snow. I had to take a spare roll of toilet paper, dose it with gasoline from my MSR stove and put it in a hole I dug in the snow with all the wood laying over it, lit with a match to get a fire going. I kept the fire going all night till I went to bed at midnight. When I woke in the morning there was a 8 foot diameter crater in front of my tent extending all the way down to the bare ground underneath where the fire had been.

11:12 a.m. on March 6, 2013 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
430 forum posts

I am new as you know and on that same link this time was a guy making cordage from deer sinew.. he was old and slow about it too..... All he did was add in a short piece.

If you want to do that use retted yucca Gary. I used to make bass wood bark aka linden tree bark cordage 50 feet long starting at 1/8th inch diameter. tapering to nothing, tipping that with flax (tow) leaders and making 1 owl puke bone gorge hooks, 1 beech tree and bone hook made with deer sinew and fish/hide glue, water proofed with bee's wax.

I even made stone sinkers with a metal bit that looked like a mini trident spun in a bow drill. Pretty much stone beads. Stone types were catlinite scraps (red) green slate, and black/gray soap stone. Assorted other stone would work, sand stones marble etc..

I didn't see the 2nd link yet, and doubt I need to. I know how to form a lens from ice, and i know how to start a fire with a looking glass.

Whatcha' wanna talk about?

Yucca can make fair soap too. My whole problem with yucca is what little grows here was brought here usually by McDonalds for landscaping.

August 28, 2014
Quick Reply