Littlbug Camp Stove and the The Original Caldera Cone

2:03 p.m. on January 19, 2013 (EST)
200 reviewer rep
4,069 forum posts

Littlbug Camp Stove

www.littlbug.com  Takes No Space in Your Pack. Rugged Simplicity in Outdoor Gear.

aboutstoves_pic.jpg

The Original Caldera Cone

www.traildesigns.com The most efficient, lightweight and stable backpacking stove made!

doug-ide-200x260.jpg

Found these while searching for diffeent types of alternate stove types.

2:51 p.m. on January 19, 2013 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
262 forum posts

I finally got a Caldera Cone summer of 2011, works pretty efficiently.  I have three now, for pot sizes .9L, .6L and the last, a .550L which will be my regular week long vacation choice.  The .9L setup used around 2.5 oz. of denatured alcohol last August, heating water for 6 dinners and one breakfast.  Most dinners took only 1.5 cups of water, but one dinner used 2.25 cups water.  I'm looking forward to the lighter and compact setups on my journey toward being ultralight.  Woodstoves don't seem too logical most of the year here in Kalifornia, limited window to safely use them in my opinion.  Maybe someday.  To save even more weight, use a small campfire like I did in the '70's in my early days of bping.  Over on Wintertrekking, they use woodstoves mostly in the winter since it is so cold in Canada and the upper northern tier USA states.

Duane

4:42 p.m. on January 19, 2013 (EST)
38 reviewer rep
1,757 forum posts

"Over on Wintertrekking, they use woodstoves mostly in the winter since it is so cold in Canada and the upper northern tier USA states."

The difference there is that those campers are "hot tenting," using a (usually) canvas tent made for use with a stove. Snowtrekker is one of the best. Titanium Goat makes pyramid tents to be used with stoves. The stoves are not little ones like the Caldera Cone, but big box stoves, commercial or homemade. Check them out at www.wintertrekking.com TG has a tube shaped stove that can be taken apart and rolled up for packing. Here is a video on YouTube showing how to put it together-http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4jCW-2g2Ne8

There are many other videos on stoves you can find on YouTube.

The Canadians are often in the boreal forest on Crown land where you can cut down dead trees for firewood and fires are allowed, something you can't do in places like Yosemite most of the year. Winter is an exception, depending on where you are and yes, I have talked to the Rangers about this.

10:22 p.m. on January 19, 2013 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
1,075 forum posts

The littlebug is on my list to buy one day just because it looks like fun.

July 22, 2014
Quick Reply