The Kovea Spider (KB-1109) Remote Canister Stove

9:14 p.m. on March 3, 2013 (EST)
81 reviewer rep
422 forum posts

I haven't been around much lately.  :(  I had a few financial reversals (lost a job I had held for 21 years).  The only work I could find for a while was in the next county over, which was a bit of a drive and didn't leave much time for reviewing backpack type stoves.

I'm still doing a lot of commuting, but thankfully now working in the same county in which I live.  I probably won't have the time I once did, but I thought I'd present a review that might be of interest here, a review of a remote canister stove that can handle running with the canister upside down.

Why might anyone care about which way the canister points?  Well, running with the canister upside down gives one about a 20 degree cold weather advantage over conventional upright canister stoves (when using an isobutane/propane mix).  

So, if you like canister gas stoves but want something that can handle a little bit colder weather, the Kovea Spider is worth checking out.

Basically, inverted canister stoves are a lightweight alternative to liquid fueled  (gasoline or kerosene) stoves in cold weather, down to about 0F/-18C when using an isobutane/propane mix. Not only are they  lighter, but they're more mechanically reliable. In my latest blog post,  I review a good one, the Kovea Spider.

I've found it to be a really nice, compact stove.
DSC00094.JPG
The Monatauk Gnat (left) and the Kovea Spider (right)

For  the future, I'd like to see Kovea do more to lighten the 5.9oz/168g  Spider stove.  I'd like to see a good remote canister stove down in the  four ounce range, but this is such a nice little stove that it's hard to  complain.
P1120414.JPG
The diminutive Kovea Spider

There  is a lighter, by about 3/4 ounce, stove on the market, the FMS-118  Volcano from Fire Maple, but there have been some complaints about the Volcano when in  inverted canister mode, and I don't think the Volcano packs down  anywhere near as small.  I can get the Kovea Spider and a 110g canister  of gas into either my 780ml Snow Peak pot or my MSR Titan kettle.
DSC00095.JPG
A Kovea Spider inside an MSR Titan Kettle

If this sounds interesting, here's the full review:  The Kovea Spider (KB-1109) Remote Canister Stove.  Have a look if you like.

HJ

12:51 a.m. on March 11, 2013 (EDT)
81 reviewer rep
422 forum posts

As an adjunct to my earlier post, I just put up a blog post on cooking with the new Kovea Spider.  Have a look if you like.

DSC00297.JPG

HJ
Adventures in Stoving

4:50 a.m. on March 11, 2013 (EDT)
52 reviewer rep
312 forum posts

Hey HJ

I followed your review of this stove on your blog and enjoyed it. In the UK, this seems to be an ebay-only option at the moment---I don't think this stove company has a distributor yet. I will keep a look out for it in future as it seems like a great stove for what might be a low price.

Cheers, Jon.

8:50 a.m. on March 11, 2013 (EDT)
TOP 25 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
1,247 reviewer rep
610 forum posts

Great to see you back HJ. Sorry to hear about the job!

4:54 p.m. on March 12, 2013 (EDT)
81 reviewer rep
422 forum posts

Hi, Jon,

The Spider is only available in the US via eBay, and it sounds like it's the same in the UK. 

Kovea apparently was at the big Summer Outdoor Retailer show in Utah this past summer here in the US which may mean that they intend to enter the US market.

HJ
Adventures In Stoving

4:58 p.m. on March 12, 2013 (EDT)
81 reviewer rep
422 forum posts

Jake W said:

Great to see you back HJ. Sorry to hear about the job!

Thanks, Jake

HJ 
Adventures In Stoving

9:18 p.m. on March 18, 2013 (EDT)
13 reviewer rep
113 forum posts

where did you order it?

October 2, 2014
Quick Reply