Soup in your Nalgene bottle

1:26 p.m. on March 5, 2013 (EST)
200 reviewer rep
4,129 forum posts

I have been making a lot of instant soups lately and without a big thermos to put my daily lunch into, I one day put the soup after it was cold into my Nagene bottle. I took it on a day hike and ate it midday. I insulated the bottle with a tshirt to keep it cool and from fermenting.

You can't put the soup in the bottle hot beacsue it will ferment also as it cools down unless you don't put the cap on while this happens.

So like using a Nalgene bottle to freeze cold drinks and have then thaw out slowly in my day pack, I now have a nicesoup to eat. And surprisingly enough cold soup tastes just as good as warm/hot soup!

8:35 p.m. on March 5, 2013 (EST)
12 reviewer rep
843 forum posts

I ate cold soup the other day. yuck! I guess it depends on what kind of soup it is.

10:45 a.m. on March 6, 2013 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
430 forum posts

Gary why would soup ferment that quickly?

I make boiling water and add tea and tang all in a nalgene wide mouth bottle as hot as i can... Then screw on that cap as tight as i can make sure it isn't leaking and stuff it in 2 wool boot socks so it will take longer to freeze.

It seems to me if you boil that soup and dump it in the bottle, then slam the cap on and tip the bottle upside down you will have 'canned' that soup. But I might be wrong..

For sure you would want a newer nalgene than that old one you have in the classifieds. BPA free is the newer one, and I am not sure that one for sale is.. I have the older type still, but I no longer use them for HOT. I have newer too. I use the older one for out working around and last year I ran one over with a skid steer Bob Cat. That kinda ended that one. It could have been saved as it took the crushing very well in fact but being the older type and getting a few cracks it ended up in the trash and getting replaced.

I wonder which of us is correct?

11:48 a.m. on March 6, 2013 (EST)
200 reviewer rep
4,129 forum posts

I have newer ones and soup if you make it and cover it and let it cool will start to ferment and will also separate over night. I was a prep cook for 40 years.

You can fill and freeze a Nalgene bottle and it won't expand to the breaking point. I do that in the summers in Wyoming at my summer place. Then I wrap it in a tshirt and drink from it as it slowly thaws during hikes.

Trailjester said that cold soup tasted yucky. I like most every soup cold. I make it the night before a hike or bike tour day and put it into my pack or panniers to eat the next day for lunch.

12:15 p.m. on March 6, 2013 (EST)
102 reviewer rep
2,285 forum posts

I am with Lee on this one.  Soups made with a chicken or beef stock base have a greasy palette when consumed cool or cold.  Perhaps a vegan soup with no oils may go down easier.  That said, there are some soups traditionally consumed chilled, but I don't think were are referring to these options.

Ed

1:28 p.m. on March 6, 2013 (EST)
200 reviewer rep
4,129 forum posts

To each their own, I have yet to find a soup or stew I didn't like cold. I have eaten stews and soups straight from the can on hikes and bike tours to save using a stove to reheat them since the late 70's.

I was recently given about 50 soup mixes that make 8 quarts each. I have been eating them daily. They came from a rafting company up at the Grand Canyon a friend of mine works for.

8:51 p.m. on March 6, 2013 (EST)
12 reviewer rep
843 forum posts

soup mixes. they are probably vegetable soups, am I right? veggie soups you can eat cold. have you ever had cold campbell's chicken noodle? yuckee poo!

11:52 p.m. on March 6, 2013 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
430 forum posts

Trailjester said:

soup mixes. they are probably vegetable soups, am I right? veggie soups you can eat cold. have you ever had cold campbell's chicken noodle? yuckee poo!

I don't think a 40 years experience pre cook eats campbells soup.

Me I can charcoal broil water, so Gary wins...

Come ta' think of it i don't even like soup at all... There is just 3 i like.... Maine style clam chowder, and either lobster or scallop bisque.

Now if i knew how to make those bisques and freeze then into a wide mouth nalgene bottle maybe i would have some trail soup some time maybe..... :-)

Not only do I dislike cooking i hate washing dishes even more.

I pine for the days Stoffer's boiling bags stopped making those meals. All one needed to do was boil water, drop in both bags, until they were hot, then open one bag then the other and dump one in on the other..

Eat right out of the bag and when it was done you just rolled and folded the trash into itself... Not 1 dish or cup to wash.

9:36 a.m. on March 7, 2013 (EST)
TRAILSPACE STAFF
410 reviewer rep
1,045 forum posts

I wouldn't worry about soup fermenting for storage under 10 hours, especially for mixes.  Fresh soups with stock, chowders or stews with meat aren't likely to ferment, but I wouldn't eat them after they had gradually cooled and sat at room temperature!

I'm with you Gary - some cold soups are refreshing.  I will dissolve a vegan bullion cube in cold water and add some red pepper flakes. It's great to rehydrate with!

12:46 p.m. on March 7, 2013 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
430 forum posts

Seth, My only frame of reference is from making maple sugar. I first boil off 40 gallons to be 6 quarts on a barrel stove i made. That last 6 qts just barely covers the bottom of my pan and is not syrup yet.

There is still 2 to 3 qts of water that has to go away. So I bring that in to the kitchen stove and using a high tech thermometer for industry a RTD which measures to the 100th of a degree because i just happen to have a few of these hanging around, I take the syrup to 219' F and fiddle around with filters and take it again to 219, where I try to can it in jars made for that and not let the temp get too low.... never less than 180'F....

This created a vacuum seal, and maple syrup can last years packed this way. 5 years anyway as i have some that old still.

So I thought packing soup in a wide mouth clean nalgene would be the same thing...

I guess not... Gary would know far better than me.

The last thing I need is to get pulled over and busted for drinking too much fermented soup. LOL

Honest Officer i think it was a parsley dun it!

3:07 p.m. on March 7, 2013 (EST)
TRAILSPACE STAFF
410 reviewer rep
1,045 forum posts

Lodge Pole - man, you're making me hungry! I hope we have a good sugar season this year!

Soup is more fragile than maple syrup.  The syrup has SO much sugar, it can discourage bacterial growth.  Get some yeast in it under 140, and it does ferment well.  In fact, I make a hard cider with a load of maple syrup in it.

You can leave a concentrated sugar solution (like syrup) in your fridge for months with no issue.  Especially if it's a nice handmade variety like yours!

Happy souping and sugaring!

3:52 p.m. on March 7, 2013 (EST)
200 reviewer rep
4,129 forum posts

I heard some where once that syrup could be made from other tree's?

6:41 p.m. on March 7, 2013 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
606 forum posts

You can make syrup from birch and several other trees. Maple will be the sweetest of them all tho

8:34 p.m. on March 7, 2013 (EST)
121 reviewer rep
291 forum posts

Black Birch to be specific. Also known as Sweet Birch. It's what they originally made Birch Beer from. Scrape the bark on a fresh branch or twig and it will smell like Birch beer/mint.

8:38 p.m. on March 7, 2013 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
606 forum posts

One of my neighbor has some taps in a group of huge yellow birch, biggest birch trees ive ever seen.

10:26 p.m. on March 7, 2013 (EST)
121 reviewer rep
291 forum posts

Working with the wood, Yellow Birch is nearly indistinguishable from Maple. Black Birch is so different it should almost be called something else.

11:02 p.m. on March 7, 2013 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
430 forum posts

Seth said:

Lodge Pole - man, you're making me hungry! I hope we have a good sugar season this year!

Soup is more fragile than maple syrup.  The syrup has SO much sugar, it can discourage bacterial growth.  Get some yeast in it under 140, and it does ferment well.  In fact, I make a hard cider with a load of maple syrup in it.

You can leave a concentrated sugar solution (like syrup) in your fridge for months with no issue.  Especially if it's a nice handmade variety like yours!

Happy souping and sugaring!

last year was so poor I decided to take this year off..... My trees, buckets and rig aren't going anywhere.... Where abouts are you and are you doing a open sugar house this year?

11:09 p.m. on March 7, 2013 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
430 forum posts

Yeah there are other trees you can get sugar from..... I made paper birch syrup once but didn't really care for it and it's minty after taste when compared to sugar from sugar maple.

Birch season runs after maple ends... But the work when you do this alone is hard labor. The most i have even made is 11 gallons of syrup and only twice have i been able to do that. The last time i did i lost a whole barrel of sap, due to the barrel broke and just dumped all the sap out.

And then you can't boil what you don't get.

Years ago when I made that other 11 gallons i did it with 22 taps. Now i use 40 taps and can't get sap for anything much over 3 to 5 gallons.

it takes a cord of dry pine in my rig to boil off 120 gallons of sap to get 3 finished gallons.. It's a lot of work.

I have never sold any. Too many rules and too much law... I have what I need to last another year from last year.

11:11 p.m. on March 7, 2013 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
430 forum posts

JerseyWreckDiver said:

Working with the wood, Yellow Birch is nearly indistinguishable from Maple. Black Birch is so different it should almost be called something else.

I hear ya.... I can see how it would be a hard call just looking at grain too. That black is more like cherry, swamp cherry as i see it... A white but still fragrant wood. Sometimes it will be reddish in color though... I have made powder and run horn end caps of that wood.

August 27, 2014
Quick Reply