fuel usage sound right??

8:47 p.m. on March 28, 2013 (EDT)
9 reviewer rep
6 forum posts

Hi yall ive been building all types of tragenent stoves to see what i like and what works best, so far the best one is made from a 3.00 aluminum water bottle from  dollar general, seems to work good and is very strong (im 275# and i can stand on it) :)  anyway my wife has to have her coffee and we need drinking water so il be boiling 4-5 cups of water at a time in an aluminum coffee pot what i have going now is.....   4 cups of water starts boiling at 9:30sec and will continue to roll until 13:20sec before running out of the 3oz fuel i put in the stove, does this sound like its burning too much fuel??  thanks

4:27 a.m. on March 29, 2013 (EDT)
102 reviewer rep
2,280 forum posts

What is a tragenent stove?

3:20 p.m. on March 29, 2013 (EDT)
200 reviewer rep
4,086 forum posts

I don't know what a Tragenent stove is, but my MSR Pocket Rocket will burn on high for 3 hours with 8 ounce's of fuel. I cook but once a day so 8 ounce's lasts me about 2 weeks. So I am guess in your stove uses 4 ounces in 13:20 minutes its wasting it somewhere. You'ld barely get 30 minutes from 8 ounces.

8:37 p.m. on March 29, 2013 (EDT)
12 reviewer rep
836 forum posts

I think it's an alcohol stove. that does sound like a lot of fuel.

9:56 p.m. on March 29, 2013 (EDT)
9 reviewer rep
6 forum posts

yea its a alcohol stove, i think they call them trangea or some odd name like that...  this is it,   

a.jpg

8:28 a.m. on March 30, 2013 (EDT)
REVIEW CORPS
1,699 reviewer rep
1,299 forum posts

Your design has some type of major flaw in it to be using that much fuel. For comparison sake, i have about 10 different styles of alcohol stoves and they all can bring 4 cups to a boil in 7m 30s-10m on 1/2-3/4oz of fuel. So if your using 3oz of fuel per boil there is definitely major waste occuring. The most inefficient alcohol stoves i have ever seen only use 1-1 1/2 oz for the same time boil times. Even the basic Supercat style stove only uses about 3/4-1oz to boil 4 cups.

I would recheck your design.

1) make sure it is a good design,popular, proven to be effective and reliable etc,

2) make sure the burner holes are the correct size

3) make sure if it is a pressurized style(not a open burner, example: penny stove) that it is sealing correctly , check o-rings for cracks if it uses o-rings.

4) check the fuel you are using is denatured alcohol, if the fuel is subpar or of poor quality it will cause you to use much more for the same result.

Not sure where you got the name trangenent, never heard that before. The Trangia stove is a stove made for the swiss and swedish military originally but has gotten very popular in the last few years. It is a tried and true design, albeit slightly on the heavy side for an alcohol stove.

This is a Trangia

Spirit-Burner-with-Screw-Cap-2.jpg
Final advice I can give is to post pictures of your exact stove, and the fuel you are using(the original bottle) so that we can help you better. Of all of the 100+ style alcohol stoves i have made, any that have performed poorly were all due to either a poor design, or an error in construction by me. I have encountered poor fuel issues as well, which caused the same type of issue you are experiencing with double fuel consumption.

11:11 a.m. on March 30, 2013 (EDT)
MODERATOR REVIEW CORPS
983 reviewer rep
3,470 forum posts

Hi & welcome BadlyBent,

The photo you posted looks like a stove called The White Box stove, or something similar. 

I have a stove that is similar in design, it will burn for about 12 minutes on 1 oz. of methanol (Heet, SLX ) or less with a good windscreen and moderate conditions (wind, air temp ). I have various alcohol stove designs and none of them use that much fuel. My DIY stoves did have to be re-done a couple times to tweak them and learn how to build them.

Yeah, that's a lot of fuel.

Mike G.

12:46 p.m. on March 30, 2013 (EDT)
9 reviewer rep
6 forum posts

ok i dont have any pictures of my exact stove, the picture above is the same size and shape and burn design, 

what i was saying about 3oz of fuel is for 4 to 5 cups of water in an aluminum coffee pot....

so if i go by what you are posting here the 1.5 oz will boil 2cups of water then it would take 2 burns @ 1.5 oz each to do 4 cups of water and that = 3oz ??

or am i missing the boat here??? LOL 

thanks

PS im heating water for 2 people at a time.

1:32 p.m. on March 30, 2013 (EDT)
200 reviewer rep
4,086 forum posts

Years ago I used a Tuna Can/alcohol stove and it worked pretty well. I used in in warm weather and it burnt through about 2 ounces of alcohol to boil 1 leter of water. That was in the late 70's before I bought my first Propane/butane stove and have not used alcohol since.

8:53 p.m. on March 30, 2013 (EDT)
REVIEW CORPS
1,699 reviewer rep
1,299 forum posts

Everything I posted was in reference to 4 cups. Depending of the stove I am using and the temp, I will need between 3/4 and 1.5 oz to boil 4 cups. For me 3oz would be enough to melt enough snow to get a liter of water. My point being that using 3oz to boil 4 cups is wasting a lot of energy somewhere.

Are you using a windscreen? I can't really see it taking anymore than 2 oz and that would be under really cold or windy conditions.

9:24 p.m. on April 1, 2013 (EDT)
9 reviewer rep
6 forum posts

ok update.....  NEVER trust the measure cups off your cough syrup bottles :( i was using one for a measure of my alcohol for the stove and it is WAY over marked....   i was thinking i was burning 3.5 oz fuel and in reality im burning right at 1 3/4 oz of fuel...... so NOW im a little more happy with my home made stove :)  i made a couple more and changed the hole size and hole count and didnt get better then the first one so thats the one im going to use :) 

thanks for the reply s 

August 1, 2014
Quick Reply