Dehydrated Peanut Butter??

8:39 p.m. on June 9, 2013 (EDT)
MODERATOR TOP 10 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
5,746 reviewer rep
791 forum posts

I was at my local grocery store today, looking for individual serving packets of Hazelnut Butter, when I came across this:

912LmOe9FTL._SL1500_.jpg

I went ahead and bought a jar ($4.68) to try it out. I tend to eat PB&J with crackers and/or tortillas for my lunches.

Has anyone used this on the trail? What are your thoughts?

6:27 a.m. on June 10, 2013 (EDT)
REVIEW CORPS
1,846 reviewer rep
1,312 forum posts

It's just ground peanuts, not dehydrated I would imagine. Because all you do is grind up peanuts and add a little water to make peanut butter. But in any case it will work, I think I would rather just carry regular pb though as I only use it in quick snack type foods/meals. Having to stop an add water to something and then mix kinda defeats that purpose.

9:34 a.m. on June 10, 2013 (EDT)
225 reviewer rep
1,194 forum posts

I'm on a new peanut butter kick after I found some of Crazy Richard's pb in my local grocery store---

http://www.kremaproducts.com/Crazy-Richards-Peanut-Butter/products/1/

I like carrying peanut butter and it's a pretty concentrated food but since most of my backpacking food is dehydrated at home, I just can't see possibly ruining a great food and so I gotta leave something NOT in the dehydrated state just for the instant taste treat.

Plus these Richard peanut butter jars are plastic and seal well with no leakage so they can be packed w/o further prep.

10:16 a.m. on June 10, 2013 (EDT)
REVIEW CORPS
610 reviewer rep
674 forum posts

Note that it says 85% less fat calories on the jar. I checked their web site -- they press the oil out leaving presumably protein and other solids. There's not a whole lot of water in PB. That means they can sell the same peanuts twice, as oil and as dried peanut butter. For intense outdoor activity the fat is the best part, and burning fat actually yields a little water. So all in all it's somewhere between silly and a rip-off IMO. I'll stick with trad PB, TYVM.

2:05 p.m. on June 10, 2013 (EDT)
REVIEW CORPS
1,846 reviewer rep
1,312 forum posts

BigRed, i willing to bet you are exactly correct. I did not even think about the oil, that indeed is a big part of pb. I would agree completely that it is simply the byproduct from the making of peanut oil. Instead of just discarding the peanut portion of the peanut oil, they simply dry it a little and put it in a jar to sell.

I'd stick with traditional pb as well.

2:05 p.m. on June 10, 2013 (EDT)
200 reviewer rep
4,151 forum posts

Doesn't sound appetizing to me, regular jar(s) of PB work for me. I eat it straight from the jar when biking and hiking. At home I love a good PB and Raspberry jam sandwich a couple at a time.

2:28 p.m. on June 10, 2013 (EDT)
12 reviewer rep
843 forum posts

not much of a weight savings. I'll stick with jif.

11:04 a.m. on June 12, 2013 (EDT)
1,357 reviewer rep
1,339 forum posts

PB and Nutella in a tortilla - my favourite lunch-break snack. High fat, high calories.

I don't see taking the extra time to mix it up on the trail, though, especially if most of the energy has been removed.

5:10 p.m. on June 24, 2013 (EDT)
5,746 reviewer rep
791 forum posts

Just an update on this subject. I'm heading out into the Lusk Creek Wilderness next week, and I plan to do a full review on this product.

Something I noticed the other day--Regular Peanut Butter gets more of it's fat content from hydrogenated vegetable oil than from the peanuts. There is also a higher sugar and salt content in regular old PB.

I'm not saying this is the way I'll eventually go, but it's worth playing around with the jar I purchased.

6:38 p.m. on June 24, 2013 (EDT)
REVIEW CORPS
1,846 reviewer rep
1,312 forum posts

Natural PB, none of that other crap in it. Stay away from jiff, Peter Pan, skipy etc

8:20 a.m. on June 25, 2013 (EDT)
5,746 reviewer rep
791 forum posts

TheRambler said:

Natural PB, none of that other crap in it. Stay away from jiff, Peter Pan, skipy etc

I'm an hour drive to any town over 10,000. We have the smallest "Super" Walmart in the state. So I'm kind of stuck with what they offer. I was actually surprised to see this stuff on our shelves. I noticed yesterday that it's no longer being stocked. Must have been a fluke.

2:26 p.m. on June 25, 2013 (EDT)
12 reviewer rep
843 forum posts

they must have made a mistake in ordering it. it doesn't look too appetizing.

8:22 a.m. on June 27, 2013 (EDT)
5,746 reviewer rep
791 forum posts

Trailjester said:

Actually, it tastes like the same peanut butter we regularly eat.

11:25 a.m. on July 13, 2013 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
171 forum posts

Goose 00 said:

Trailjester said:

Actually, it tastes like the same peanut butter we regularly eat.

it does taste like PB when eaten by itself.   Maybe you could  mix it with Nido for a breakfast drink or some type of shake or a smoothie?

7:55 p.m. on July 13, 2013 (EDT)
5,746 reviewer rep
791 forum posts

Ok, all, I tried it out and my review is posted at http://www.trailspace.com/gear/other/pb2/review/29002/

Many of you are quoted in the review.

If you're satisfied with the review, please vote it up. If you have comments, please make them.

September 16, 2014
Quick Reply