GF Meal Options

11:53 p.m. on July 11, 2013 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
3 forum posts

Just wanted to say hello to everyone in the TS community and, with my first post, ask if any of you were familiar or had experience with gluten-free meals and/or cooking on the trail? I'm gluten-intolerant, and can have a small amount of it, but for the most part am unable to consume meals high large amounts of it. If any of y'all have recipes you've used, or swear by, please pass them along. Additionally, if you know of any dehydrated or freeze-dried prepared meals that are GF (and tasty!) be sure to let me know. All your help is much appreciated and looking forward to getting to know y'all!

11:51 a.m. on July 12, 2013 (EDT)
200 reviewer rep
4,164 forum posts

Oh I thought you were saying Girlfriend GF? Sorry, I do cook outdoors but do not know any gluten free meals. Email me off site, I have a friend in Wyoming who is Gluten intolerant too, she may know. I will give you her email address and you can ask?

3:15 p.m. on July 12, 2013 (EDT)
12 reviewer rep
843 forum posts

you will be hard pressed to find gluten free freeze dried meals anywhere...this is a fairly new thing in foods, the makers like mountain house are slow to catch on.

3:51 p.m. on July 12, 2013 (EDT)
TOP 10 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
1,366 reviewer rep
414 forum posts

You might want to think about making your own meals at home to take along.  I have no idea what your diet entails but I do know most things can be dehydrated in one form or another.  No better way to avoid stuff than making it yourself so you know exactly whats in it.

9:25 a.m. on August 6, 2013 (EDT)
BRAND REP
0 reviewer rep
51 forum posts

Hi Shelly,

I wasn't aware of any "Girl Friend" camp diet out there so I searched around and found a pretty good review of AlpineAire products which may be of some interest to you.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=e3yRllhcHOw&desktop_uri=%2Fwatch%3Fv%3De3yRllhcHOw

Hope this helps!

10:56 a.m. on August 6, 2013 (EDT)
MODERATOR TOP 10 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
5,847 reviewer rep
817 forum posts

There are some GF cereals that make for good breakfasts. I mix in powdered milk and just add water on the trail. But note, some powdered milk is not GF. Read the labels.

You can make your own TrailMix with GF foods--dried fruits, nuts, etc.--and graze on that all day long.

Peanut butter & jelly is a trail staple. You can mix it with GF tortillas, which I prefer over carrying bread in a pack.

I like an evening meal of re-hydrated beans (check Harmony House Foods) and Quick Rice, with a bit of seasoning and Frito Chips to give it a crunch.

5:43 p.m. on August 6, 2013 (EDT)
REVIEW CORPS
1,846 reviewer rep
1,316 forum posts

There are tons of grains out there that are gluten free., aka anything except for wheat.  You can make anything you want with a dehydrator at home. You wont find very many MH etc meals that are gluten free, but there are some.

As I am sure you already know because you must eat something at home! But things like quinoa, mung bean noodles, rice noodles, rice, brown rice, would all be good choices for being a base for a meal. You need these items in their pure form, and not just products that contain these things because sometimes gluten is added by other ingredients in the boxed stuff.

4:21 p.m. on August 14, 2013 (EDT)
284 reviewer rep
141 forum posts

This place may have what you are looking for, not sure haven't tried there products.

http://theepicenter.com/cgi/order.cgi?page=freeze_dried_and_dehydrated.html&cart_id=

Look at Gourmet

12:16 p.m. on September 26, 2013 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
3 forum posts

Wow! Thanks for all the tips, everyone! I don't own a dehydrator, so likely going to be limited to what I can find at the grocery and sporting goods stores, but this is a great start, and you all have each posted some great ideas! Will definitely be checking out those AlpineAire and Gourmet meals!

October 1, 2014
Quick Reply