Pots/Pans and Bear Canisters

5:17 p.m. on July 18, 2013 (EDT)
REVIEW CORPS
450 reviewer rep
188 forum posts

I'm planning another trip up the Sierras with some friends and have come to realize our larger Pots and Pans that we would be using will not fit into a Backpacker's Cache bear canister.  Typically, in trips that require bear canisters, I'll just bring my little Snow Peak 700, which fits easily in a Backpacker's Cache, and eat the dreaded dehydrated meals.  

The circumference of the pots and pans we will be using is larger than the circumference of the opening available in the Backpacker's Cache.  My friends don't own individual kettles and cups, so we're gonna use a larger aluminum cookset in order to provide cookware for everyone.  Furthermore, since we're all a bunch of food snobs, we'd prefer to bring actual food vs. dehydrated food, therefore, using the pots and pans pans to cook actual food, vs. just using them to boil water.  I looked up what Yosemite National Park suggests, and they mention putting the pots and pans on top of the canister, almost to act as an alarm.  After a thorough cleaning with some Dr. Bonners, is this a safe method of storing our pots and pans?  Or should I hang the cleaned pots and pans in a bear bag?  I'll be using the 100 yd triangle camp-cook-food storage downwind set up in order to avoid any potential food smells in the camp.  Maybe I'm paranoid, but will the residue of smell of Dr. Bonner's from cleaning the cookware be a source of attraction for black bears?  Thank you all once again in advance for your thoughts and suggestions.

11:33 p.m. on July 18, 2013 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
367 forum posts

I spend a lot of time in the sierras and I have never stored my pots in my canister.  Among my backpacking friends, I don't know anyone else who does, either.  I have never heard of it being a problem.  Just don't leave food residue in the pot.  I don't use soap on my pots, I just swish it clean with hot water.

Too bad you don't have a Bearvault or Bearikade.  Their openings are much wider than the Garcia.

1:54 a.m. on July 19, 2013 (EDT)
REVIEW CORPS
450 reviewer rep
188 forum posts

Thanks Lambertiana!  I usually try to clean out cookware of any food residue with biodegradable soap, but this time, the pots and pans won't be able to fit in the bear canister.  Maybe one of these days I'll upgrade since both the bearvault and bearikade are much lighter than my backpacker's cache that I currently own.  It's much more reassuring to know that you haven't had any problems though.  Still, I was thinking residues from the pots and pans from soap would increase the likelihood of bear attraction.  Thanks for the advice once again!

2:37 a.m. on July 19, 2013 (EDT)
12 reviewer rep
843 forum posts

just leave the pots cleaned and out. you shouldn't have a problem.

1:03 p.m. on July 19, 2013 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
169 forum posts

agree with everyone else. Just wash them out good or let the bear lick them clean ;)

August 27, 2014
Quick Reply