Small Bottles

11:46 p.m. on November 5, 2013 (EST)
BRAND REP TOP 10 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
1,988 reviewer rep
470 forum posts

Going to create a new thread on this specific topic (branching off the FD meal add-ins conversation).

You mean these, fellas?

http://www.rei.com/product/402057/nalgene-polyethylene-bottle-1-fl-oz?preferredSku=4020570000&cm_mmc=cse_PLA-_-pla-_-product-_-4020570000&mr:trackingCode=F37E071B-81F9-DE11-BAE3-0019B9C043EB&mr:referralID=NA&mr:adType=pla&mr:ad=20834178520&mr:keyword=&mr:match=&mr:filter=39033398800&msid=vWI9B4h2_dc%7Cpcrid%7C20834178520%7C&%7Bcopy:s_kwcid%7D

Cap on my Bronner's busted on the last trip I took - definitely purchasing some of these screw-top bottles because they create a nice seal. No flip-tops, no spouts, no extra fuss to worry about. At $1.50 for a 1 oz, it's not a terrible deal. I don't need a dozen, so it's nice they can be bought piecemeal. Also a nice bonus these are reusable and spare a person from having to pack-out a bunch of single-serving packages and wrappers.

I've tried GoToobs, but the caps are just too flimsily and cheaply built. I don't understand why companies still make caps with folding plastic hinges (opposed to  two plates with a connecting pin). These I couldn't even bring myself to review.

I wanted to ask:

What kinds of bottles do y'all use?

Do you buy your bottles, or repurpose containers and bottles from home?

What do you put in yours?

The more outlandish and the less common your answers, the better. Really would like to know the full range and versatility of these things.

12:14 a.m. on November 6, 2013 (EST)
200 reviewer rep
4,120 forum posts

If I am carrying a bottle that has a flip top or other easily opened spout. I use a Ziploc bag around the bottle to ensure the lid doesn't spill its contents. I wedge the bottle in the bag so the lid is forced to stay on. And tie it with a rubber band to take up the excess bag.

Ziploc's also make a decent water container in a picnh, I double bag them for water with one bag inserted upside down in the other so the zipper seam is in the bottom of the other.

I used to rely on Nalgene bottles, but now to cut down on weight I use the bottles water comes in in the store, much lighter when empty than a empty Nalgene one. Easily recycled when punctured and just buy a new water bottle of whatever brand is cheapest at the given store.

I put water, liquid dish soap,laundry soap (as needed) cooking oil,etc into the used water bottles. Even powdered drink mixes work well in the bottles to save weight of the original container it came in. I can later use the bottle again for other liquids.

I also save peanut butter plastic containers to use for jelly as most jam/jellies come in glass (breakable) so I put it into the peanut butter (empty) plastic jars. They also come in handy to save interesting things I find outdoors like plants,stones and such. I often bring home Bonsai looking small tree's to pot at home. 

I use many things I carry that are liquid in form could be put into plastic peanut butter jars like canned items (soups,fruit,stews,mayo,veggies)  saving the weight and discard of the cans outdoors.

I also use my Camelbak 3 liter bag and use it for more than water. I blow it up with air for a pillow at night (even with water already in it) I use it as a fire extinguisher by holding the bag under my arm and pointing the mouth part and squeeze the opening at the fire. Also make a hot water bag for comforting tired muscles. I also use it for a solar shower by hanging it in the sun or putting hot water into it and hanging it up and use the mouth tube to rinse hands and as a shower when I am dirty.

12:27 a.m. on November 6, 2013 (EST)
1,988 reviewer rep
470 forum posts

Actually going to make the switch to "disposable" waterbottles for my next trip, Gary. I own Platy bottles, which are great for the weight savings, but they're not the most stable drinking bottles. I bought push-pull caps for them (enabling me to drink from them with only one hand), but still doesn't solve the problem of having them stand on their own.

PB jars aren't a bad idea. You can even get 'em in those smaller-size containers, too. Hard finding wide-mouthed jars, so I'm going to hold onto that suggestion. I've got big mitts and fumbling with miniature-sized things sometimes proves frustrating. 

Thanks for the tips, Gary!

1:40 a.m. on November 6, 2013 (EST)
119 reviewer rep
456 forum posts

I have use the Nalgene Drop-Dispenser Bottle - 2 fl. oz. for bleach for water treatment.

I keep in a outside pocket that is small and it stays upright and the little cap stays on.  I would not use it in my kitchen kit though, seems that the top could come off fairly easy. 

I also tried the GoToob containers, they leak and are HEAVY for the size.  They just don't seem to be a very good design. 

What I have hear good things about but am not sure where to get other then buying the stuff at the local drug store are things like Visine bottles.

Visine.gif500-Pcs-lot-factory-direct-sale-5ml-eye-

What I would like is something like the bottles to the right, I can find them on Ebay, but who needs 50 or 100 of them!

10:14 a.m. on November 6, 2013 (EST)
225 reviewer rep
1,192 forum posts

I have 3 bottle sizes I use and get them at stores with other stuff in them which is used and the bottle cleaned and kept for trips.

ear_14662_12_(big)_.jpeg

The smallest size is this---and is used for my winter Bronners soap load---winter only because I do not use much soap in the winter.  Another one also is excellent for Vit E oil for chapped lips and face pimples and other small wounds.  Vit E oil can be found at Walmart.

dristan.jpg

A larger size bottle is this---and is used for my summer Bronners soap load---and holds enough for 3 weeks of camping and cleaning/swimming.

41JGRER5DSL._SY300_.jpg

Finally, in the summer I take one of these full of bug juice to smear on my ears and forehead and hiking hat and arms, etc.  None of these bottles leak.

11:03 a.m. on November 6, 2013 (EST)
TOP 10 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
1,366 reviewer rep
393 forum posts

Been using these for years.  I mean I bought one package of these 3 or 4 years ago and they are still in use. I'd be ok if the bottles were a bit smaller but those little flat round containers are great for spices and I use the big bottle for sunscreen.

http://www.coghlans.com/products/contain-alls-8525

11:54 a.m. on November 6, 2013 (EST)
1,988 reviewer rep
470 forum posts

Wolfman? If we can find 48 other people to go in on those eye-dropper bottle with, I think we may have a solution. :) Ever think about buying the full pack of 50, taking what you need, and selling 2, 3 4-packs on eBay? I've found there's a bigger market for outdoor gear on eBay than I ever imagined - I haven't yet had trouble selling a single thing.

Thanks for the reply, Tipi - pictures were a big help, too!

Nice find, LS. Coughlan's probably runs a heck of a lot cheaper than the Nalgene-brand ones, for sure.

10:54 p.m. on November 6, 2013 (EST)
119 reviewer rep
456 forum posts

Yea,  I like the ideas Tipi!  I think the bottles that have the screw on cap over a spout of some kind is the safest way to carry stuff like soap, bleach, or Oil.  Things that you don't want all over your pack. 

Funny HornRim, but I have actually thought about that and other things like that.  Maybe I can become the next big Hiking supplier on Ebay!  Will I get rich??!!!  :D  God that would be so great!  :)

7:53 a.m. on November 20, 2013 (EST)
102 reviewer rep
2,285 forum posts

I am somewhat obsessed about fluids leaking in my pack.  After a nasty experience decades ago where I nearly ruined a camera due to a soap bottle leak, I now carry all of my small volume bottles of bleach, cooking oil, soap, bug juice, sun screen and other messy fluids stowed inside a plastic Nestlé’s Chocolate container.  This precludes crushing forces from squeezing the contents out of storage, while containing any spills that may occur.  The other thing I do is once the fluids container gets loaded into my pack, I keep the pack upright so the chance of an inversion caused leak is reduced.

Ed

August 21, 2014
Quick Reply