meths stove in the winter

2:28 p.m. on November 7, 2013 (EST)
346 reviewer rep
65 forum posts

OK im planning on a hiking trip to the cairngorms,scotland in February 2014 next year.And i want advice on the correct way to baby methylated spirits so it works in the below temperatures.i have narrowed it down to a trangia 27 ul /ha  no 1 or 7 as i have trangia preheater or the ESBIT cs985h-ex ( check my review on trailspace).which with a windscreen is quite fast, but the trangia is really weather proof and very stable  yes i know its a bit overkill  if you are just boiling water.i do have several caldera cones but i think they can be a bit fragile . i was going to use the AGG kathadin stove but mine works when it wants to so thats not  coming and i found that it only comes into its own with a 1.350 mil pot ie msr solo pot  or alpkit  .so if you have any advice on fuel or stove cozies buddist chants to  get the meths to lite quicker that would be great cheers!

8:59 p.m. on November 7, 2013 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
263 forum posts

In the states many folks carry a mini Bic lighter, lite, lots of lights.  Can you aim the flame into the stove to light it?  You could carry the fuel in your pocket, but seems by the time you add it to your stove and light it, its already cooled way down.  I like my old, noisy stoves that run on white gas or kerosene.

Duane

3:37 a.m. on November 8, 2013 (EST)
346 reviewer rep
65 forum posts

Thanks duane

9:36 a.m. on November 8, 2013 (EST)
TRAILSPACE STAFF
428 reviewer rep
1,084 forum posts

I'll dip a strip of paper into the alcohol, light it and drop it in quickly. Even a leaf or a few pine needles will do in a pinch. This method results in burnt fingers more than half the time!

2:00 p.m. on November 8, 2013 (EST)
TOP 10 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
3,627 reviewer rep
1,267 forum posts

I searched cooking Meth online and it directed me here.  Am I in the right place?

Just kidding, Seth beat me to it with the lighting paper idea.   

10:02 a.m. on November 9, 2013 (EST)
346 reviewer rep
65 forum posts

I have read about making stove burner cozies and keeping the burner off the floor.also keeping the burner or the meths in the sleeping bag.I have just bought a windproof lighter made by summit I'll review it when it arrives.the other thing I read is put a small bottle of maths in your jacket pocket

12:39 p.m. on November 9, 2013 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
1 forum posts

I always carry my fully fueled trangia inside my jacket, just to keep it warm for such times as it's gonna need a cold start. I also have a piece of foil that I put on the ground between the ground and the stove. I've never had much problems that way. But 99 times outta 100 I use my Zelph fancy feast stove, that thing is bullet proof..

5:01 a.m. on November 10, 2013 (EST)
346 reviewer rep
65 forum posts

What is a zelph stove is like a supercat stove

10:05 p.m. on November 18, 2013 (EST)
12 reviewer rep
843 forum posts

it's an alcohol stove made out of a cat food can. the best bet is to keep them inyour jacket pocket or bag, right up until you pour them in.

5:05 a.m. on November 19, 2013 (EST)
346 reviewer rep
65 forum posts

thanks trailjester

November 22, 2014
Quick Reply