Green Tomatoes (Lots!)

6:13 p.m. on November 20, 2013 (EST)
GUIDE/OUTFITTER TOP 25 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
1,086 reviewer rep
175 forum posts

A friend has just given me 10-15lbs. of green tomatoes, does anyone have any great ideas to do with them, other than frying? 

Thank you in advance for your ideas!!!

7:28 p.m. on November 20, 2013 (EST)
TOP 10 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
2,430 reviewer rep
5,359 forum posts

Pickle them. Roast them.

Here are a couple dozen recipes. For some reason, this year we don't have any green tomatoes (well, it has stayed warm and dry here in the SFBay Area until last night and today, when it decided to dump cold rain - snow in the Sierra - Hurrah!!)

8:53 p.m. on November 20, 2013 (EST)
210 reviewer rep
4,297 forum posts

My mother used to love Fried Green Tomatoes!

Put some in a brown paper bag and keep them in it for a while at room temp and some will turn red. They also make great stuffed tomatoes, cut a hole in the top of them and fill with a mixture of hamburger and diced bell peppers,onions and spice's like a meat loaf mix then bake at 350 degrees for 10-30 minutes. Also try topping the stuffed tomato with grated cheese before baking. Or croutons,etc.

Stuffed-tomatoes.jpg

9:01 p.m. on November 20, 2013 (EST)
REVIEW CORPS
1,339 reviewer rep
424 forum posts

You can substitute them for tomatillo in a lot of Hispanic dishes...not exactly the same...but they do work well for stews and salsas. One of my favorite recipes is a grill smoked green tomato with Feta cheese!

10:47 a.m. on November 21, 2013 (EST)
TOP 10 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
3,627 reviewer rep
1,274 forum posts

Green tomato relish!  I highly recommend this! Can it and use it on everything: Hamburgers+dogs (of course) rice, potatoes, noodles, roasts, whatever else you can imagine.  My recipe is from WWII but this one is decent, just use brown sugar instead of white:

http://www.motherearthnews.com/real-food/how-to-make-homemade-canned-green-tomato-relish-recipe.aspx#axzz2lIM8LWpU

I can mine in half-pint or jelly jars and include it in holiday gift baskets along with the jam, summer sausage and hard cider that we make. Remember to make some cool labels to go with it:

http://www.jamlabelizer.com/

Just replace the word JAM with RELISH, or whatever is in the jar.  Print them and stick them to the jars with glue-stick so they can be removed easily for washing.

Or you can make green tomato salsa.  I don't have a recipe unfortunately, I usually just use whatever I find in the garden that hasn't frozen plus a little store-bought cilantro.

I know I know, I'll make someone a good wife someday.

4:30 p.m. on November 21, 2013 (EST)
179 reviewer rep
191 forum posts

Piccalilli -

Which is to say green tomato relish. The basic recipe is from the Ball book, but my wife has modified our version quite a bit.  The original version -  

You will need:

5 cups finely chopped cabbage (about 1-1/2 med heads)

4 cups chopped cored green tomatoes, unpeeled (about 8 medium)

1-1/2 cups chopped onions (about 2 medium)

1 cup chopped seeded red bell pepper (about 1 large)

1 cup chopped seeded green bell pepper (about 1 large)

3 Tbsp salt

1/4 cup pickling spice

4 Tbsp coarsely chopped gingerroot

2 Tbsp mustard seeds

3 cups white vinegar 1-3/4 cups water

1 cup granulated sugar

2 tsp ground turmeric

6 to 7 (8 oz) half pint glass preserving jars with lids and bands         

Directions:1.) COMBINE cabbage, green tomatoes, onions, red and green peppers and salt in a large glass or stainless steel bowl. Cover and let stand in a cool place for 12 hours or overnight. Transfer to a colander placed over a sink and drain. Rinse with cool water and drain thoroughly. Using your hands, squeeze out excess liquid. Set aside.

2.) PREPARE boiling water canner. Heat jars and lids in simmering water until ready for use. Do not boil. Set bands aside.

3.) TIE pickling spice, gingerroot and mustard seeds in a square of cheesecloth creating a spice bag.

4.) COMBINE drained cabbage mixture, vinegar, water, sugar, turmeric and spice bag in a large stainless steel saucepan. Cover and bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Uncover and boil for 5 minutes, stirring frequently. Reduce heat and boil gently, stirring frequently, for 1 hour, until thickened to the consistency of a thin commercial relish, about 20 minutes. Discard spice bag.

5.) LADLE hot relish into hot jars leaving 1/2 inch headspace. Remove air bubbles and adjust headspace, if necessary, by adding hot relish. Wipe rim. Center lid on jar. Apply band until fit is fingertip tight. 6.) PROCESS jars in a boiling water canner for 10 minutes, adjusting for altitude. Remove jars and cool. Check lids for seal after 24 hours. Lid should not flex up and down when center is pressed.

If yer interested I can get my wifes version. We use brown sugar, and of course we'd never even think of white vinegar as that stuff is an industrial by product unfit for human consumption. Apple cider vinegar at the least, and we often use a mix of fancy vinegars.

Uh, we don't use the pickling spices either... 

As Jeff wrote this stuff can't be beat! It is a regular staple at our place and my wife probably made two dozen jars of it this season. Enjoy!

1:13 p.m. on November 23, 2013 (EST)
GUIDE/OUTFITTER TOP 25 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
1,086 reviewer rep
175 forum posts

Thank you all for the great ideas, stay tuned...

November 25, 2014
Quick Reply