8:59 p.m. on March 2, 2014 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
105 forum posts

title says all. :)

11:25 p.m. on March 2, 2014 (EST)
TOP 25 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
2,439 reviewer rep
1,292 forum posts

after trying lots of different kinds, i have come to the conclusion that i would rather create my own mix of energy snacks.  clif bars have been a staple for a while, so have power bars.  have tried mojo, luna bars, larrabars, cereal bars.....they are all fine in their own way.  they are also loaded with ingredients and carbs i'm not sure i always need. 

currently, i'm tending toward raisins, cashews, turkish apricots, and chocolate.

6:32 a.m. on March 3, 2014 (EST)
TOP 10 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
1,366 reviewer rep
405 forum posts

Clif bars work well on the bike and well on the trail for me.  Lots of flavors and whether I'm pedaling or hiking I do have a use for what is in them.  Packaging designed to be opened while riding also scores points.  I have 4 per day budgeted in my LT nutrition spreadsheet ;)

They do have an issue with becoming very very hard in freezing weather.  Best to tuck one into an inside pocket for a bit before eating or you risk losing teeth.

2:51 p.m. on March 3, 2014 (EST)
BRAND REP TOP 10 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
1,988 reviewer rep
476 forum posts

KIND bars rock - actual fruit flavor because there's actual fruit in them! And whole chunks of nuts big enough to discern what kind of nut they actually are. 

Trouble is, they're on the low end as far as calories go (usually between 100 and 200 per bar, if I remember).

Also note the ones with chocolate will melt in warmer temps, so I usually stick to the ones without it.

Tastiest bars I've had, though, and not gut-bombs like CLIF bars can be.

5:48 p.m. on March 3, 2014 (EST)
200 reviewer rep
4,151 forum posts

Heineken.jpg

8:54 a.m. on March 4, 2014 (EST)
TRAILSPACE STAFF
588 reviewer rep
3,050 forum posts

I also really like Kind bars. It's nice to see the actual ingredients you're eating instead of a big block. Dark Chocolate Nuts & Sea Salt and Peanut Butter Dark Chocolate are my two favorites.

If you can handle the whopping calories, ProBar makes some tasty whole meal bars, but usually I can't justify that many calories in one bar (360-380 per bar).

I'll also eat Luna or Clif bars on occasion. The Clif Kid Z bars are pretty good too.

I've also enjoyed Bonk Breakers.

9:20 p.m. on March 19, 2014 (EDT)
12 reviewer rep
843 forum posts

Clif bars rule!

3:42 a.m. on March 20, 2014 (EDT)
38 reviewer rep
1,757 forum posts

I go with Clif bars. My preference is Apricot or the Apple ones, but the latter are hard to find around here for some reason.

Power Bars in some flavors are good-the carmel/chocolate in particular.

Both Clif and Power Bars can usually be had for $1 at Trader Joe's or Sprouts (a mostly Western chain, kind of a cross between Whole Foods and TJ's without the weird Whole Foods vibe).

FYI, if you are going to make your own, Sprouts has all kinds of nuts and whatnot in bulk at reasonable prices.

9:48 a.m. on March 20, 2014 (EDT)
MODERATOR TOP 10 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
2,701 reviewer rep
345 forum posts

Clif Blocks energy chews are fantastic if y'all haven't tried them yet. I love the Strawberry. Jelly Belly Sport Beans are also really tasty and effective. I know neither of these are bars, but I think they fit the category.

10:49 a.m. on March 20, 2014 (EDT)
3,371 reviewer rep
1,233 forum posts

I like Clif but only when I can sit and digest them. Otherwise they slow me down.

Now, when we are climbing we just eat oatmeal for breakfast and snack on gummi bears, energy goo and other sugary things that don't sit in the stomach all day then eat a giant dinner.  We have found it keeps energy up since we never waste our energy on digesting solid foods.  We got this idea from Mark Twight's book Extreme Mountaineering and it has worked really well for us. 

12:10 p.m. on March 20, 2014 (EDT)
1,366 reviewer rep
405 forum posts

FromSagetoSnow said:

I like Clif but only when I can sit and digest them. Otherwise they slow me down.

Now, when we are climbing we just eat oatmeal for breakfast and snack on gummi bears, energy goo and other sugary things that don't sit in the stomach all day then eat a giant dinner.  We have found it keeps energy up since we never waste our energy on digesting solid foods.  We got this idea from Mark Twight's book Extreme Mountaineering and it has worked really well for us. 

I always find it interesting how everyone is different when it comes to so many things but especially food.  If I am doing a 70 mile loop on my bike I chow down a Clif bar every 15 miles or so without slowing down.  I never notice any issue digesting them while working and am ready for the next one before it is due most times.  It goes about the same when hiking except I don't make 15 miles between bars heh.

12:03 a.m. on March 21, 2014 (EDT)
87 reviewer rep
1,061 forum posts

Kind bars have been said love them just not enough calories..Probars for a long hike added with cliff bars to get me through..I can eat about anything for fuel..

7:56 p.m. on March 22, 2014 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
105 forum posts

just picked up some of

kit's organic 'chocolate almond coconut' bars discounted @ big lots.

YUM. :)

1:26 p.m. on March 27, 2014 (EDT)
TOP 25 REVIEWER
852 reviewer rep
34 forum posts

I prefer a health bar that has no added sugar, no soy, no artificial colors or ingredients. In fact, I will no longer consume a product with any of these ingredients ever again. I also appreciate non-GMO and organic. I understand non-GMO and organic is very difficult to find but I do find ingredients that are, at least, classified as pesticide-free. The carcinogenic factor associated with some food is also important to me. These levels of interest are very difficult to come by. I simply will not eat most mainstream commercially produced bars because of the lack of healthy ingredients. I have tried most in the past, to my sincere distaste. I do however, prefer a bar that is consciously made, with ingredients that have proven to be beneficial and energetic! I challenge all of you to find that at your local grocers. It's not easy. There are also many bars with date paste and peanuts, etc., for example. These are cheap ingredients, for the manufacturer, yet they are still healthier alternatives to the mainstream garbage. But, there are better choices, healthier and more naturally energetic choices. They're a bit more expensive but they are better for you! Quality is tough to come by. I know. I've been eating as healthy as possible my entire life and it has cost me a fortune. The good news is, I'm never sick! I attribute this to my conscious eating habits. 

We are all, here, different in so many ways and I know there will be many whom will look upon this post and believe that the bar or food they consume is the best, and that I'm a freak for being consciously healthy. What each and everyone of us do is great for us, as long as we're pleased with our decisions.

I'm curious though, what is it about a particular bar that makes you love it so much? How and why does it work for you? Is it because it's conveniently purchased, readily available? Is it the ingredients you love, and why? Is it the picture on the packaging that attracts you, the name, the marketing? Is it because it's mainstream, or not? Is there a trust level in the product that makes you feel comfortable consuming the product even if you haven't read the nutritional label? Is there something about the taste that you love over another bar? Why is added sugar OK? etc. etc. Could it be price? How much would you be willing to pay for a premium product? How do you know it works well for you if you haven't had something that's simply better? Are you willing to try, and or pay for, a product that is better than mainstream? Does your favorite energy bar need to have added sugar and salt for palatability? Do you purchase more online or at your local market?

Thanks for your input!

9:56 p.m. on March 27, 2014 (EDT)
87 reviewer rep
1,061 forum posts

I'm curious though, what is it about a particular bar that makes you love it so much? How and why does it work for you? Is it because it's conveniently purchased, readily available? Is it the ingredients you love, and why? Is it the picture on the packaging that attracts you, the name, the marketing? Is it because it's mainstream, or not? Is there a trust level in the product that makes you feel comfortable consuming the product even if you haven't read the nutritional label? Is there something about the taste that you love over another bar? Why is added sugar OK? etc. etc. Could it be price? How much would you be willing to pay for a premium product? How do you know it works well for you if you haven't had something that's simply better? Are you willing to try, and or pay for, a product that is better than mainstream? Does your favorite energy bar need to have added sugar and salt for palatability? Do you purchase more online or at your local market?

I use food as Fuel always have and I have worked in resturants good ones for  about 5 years during College..So nutriention is important to me..But I also eat junk Chips ect.But I burn it by backpacking and running..I would be open to suggestions tho..Iam pretty open mined indiviual..Proce point on any product also has to be considered for what you buy...You do make me want to look at my bars closer now David..

10:51 p.m. on March 27, 2014 (EDT)
TOP 25 REVIEWER
852 reviewer rep
34 forum posts

@denis That's good news! This is a topic that has been following me for my entire adult life. I remember shopping at my first health food stores beginning at the age of eighteen and never looking back. And, although most of my education was structured around biochemistry and biotechnology I studied quite a bit of nutrition. Also, I bonked in the Hawaiian Ironman Triathlon World championship in Kona in 1994. It was partly due to a lack of substantial nutrition but directly related to bike issues during the race. I was going for a win, not just to say I participated! Thus, I've had a lot of experience with nutrition in addition to professionalism as a fitness trainer, a weight lifter my entire life, marathoner, etc. etc. So, why is it that much of our society has not been introduced to healthier nutrition? Why are we so acceptable, predictable and vulnerable to marketing strategy? Some of these foods that have been mentioned has not "digested" well with me on several levels. Makes me wonder if everyone here would simply perform unconsciously and consciously better simply by eating consciously?

522 is on the right track with organic! I have seen a few very good products on the market but they're difficult to find, either on the bottom shelf or refrigerated. In any case, there has to be more and better products that people enjoy than mass produced mainstream? And, I'm sure people will feel better physically consuming these. I've been making my own food for years so I'm an anomaly. I would love to know that better nutrition is helping others get out more and further in distance.

5:23 a.m. on March 28, 2014 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
105 forum posts

david~

another new discovery & personal fave:

www.gomacro.com

HQ fuel!

7:55 a.m. on March 28, 2014 (EDT)
TOP 25 REVIEWER
852 reviewer rep
34 forum posts

@522 GoMacro is certainly one of the better bars on the market! Their website is pretty neat, too! Longer, sustained energy with good fat and protein!

12:23 p.m. on March 28, 2014 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
105 forum posts

dave~

I was lucky enough to snag a few discounted (eeeks...pricey!)

pleasantly surprised! :)

1/2 bar filled my tank for the morning commute

(minus the typical hunger pangs an hour later like most others)

and the texture chewy (me likes)

reminded me of an updated old-school powerbar.

bottom line: i'll soon be buying more! :)

12:38 p.m. on March 28, 2014 (EDT)
TOP 25 REVIEWER
852 reviewer rep
34 forum posts

@522 Right, unlike the mainstream, empty calorie, lesser bars, the GoMacro has a better fatty acid profile, which would stave off the hunger pains for a longer period of time.

I've been wanting to try the greens plus bars too, but these are not bars that I would ingest on a regular basis. Blue-Green algae, on the other hand, is great stuff. It's some other ingredients in these bars that aren't so great.

I remember the old-school powerbars, pre-Nestle, they were, for the most part, nutritionally useless but those were the mainstream bars at the time. In fact, every time my tri-bike and myself left the house you would have seen a divided powerbar pasted to my top tube. Haven't had one of those in probably 18+ years.

7:00 a.m. on March 29, 2014 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
105 forum posts

dave~

have you tried the raw revolution bars?

'spirulina dream, choc. cherry chunk, & heavenly hazelnut' are all sound.

(although I like these, they don't fill me up like the macro bar).

like yerself, I've yet to try the greens bar, but betty lou's makes a great

'lil snack: spirulina ginseng almond balls.

they easily qualify as quality energy

(yes, i'll be toting some on my upcoming summer adventure) :)

8:56 a.m. on March 29, 2014 (EDT)
TOP 25 REVIEWER
852 reviewer rep
34 forum posts

@522 I have not tried the raw revolutions, but with a quick search on the net I'd agree that these are indeed very good bars!

Stocked with Raw Revolution and GoMacros, you're doing fairly well. 

Try not to consume too many products with Dates, the consequences may be uncomfortable.

And, any type of blue-green algae is immensely life giving! One of the best cellularly-positive foods on the planet!!

September 17, 2014
Quick Reply