Make Dandelion bread

9:52 a.m. on May 5, 2014 (EDT)
200 reviewer rep
4,123 forum posts

http://foodstorageandsurvival.com/make-dandelion-bread/ 

When I was growing up on a small self sufficent farm in upstate NY my mother would make lots of meal items from Dandelions such as the leaves into salad greens,the roots into turnip like additions to soups and she pressed the stems to make Dandelion wine from the sap.

In Alaska 's Denali NP I met a guy who dipped the yellow flowers into a batter much like making deep fried mushrooms and one would not know the flower tasted so goo.

This recipe passed on from a friend at Facebook is the newest way to take one of America's immigrants and make it an edible food source.

Dandelion-Bread.jpg

9:51 p.m. on May 6, 2014 (EDT)
MODERATOR TOP 10 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
5,626 reviewer rep
768 forum posts

Alright, Gary. We made a loaf last night!

Definitely moist.

A bit bland.

I'm guessing the value of this is nutritional. Plus pioneers could make this with less flour.

I'm glad we tried it!

7:44 a.m. on May 7, 2014 (EDT)
MODERATOR TOP 10 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
5,626 reviewer rep
768 forum posts

Well, apparently my wife liked it enough that she's making another loaf. There's a container of dandelions on the counter this morning! 

9:03 a.m. on May 7, 2014 (EDT)
TOP 25 REVIEWER
732 reviewer rep
126 forum posts

I have a hankering to make this, but don't know if or what chemicals were used on my lawn before we moved in. How much of a concern would this be? It would probably be better for me to go forage dandelions from a state park or something, right? That would give me an excuse to go look for some morels too. 

11:59 a.m. on May 7, 2014 (EDT)
200 reviewer rep
4,123 forum posts

Yes, I would not want to eat even a trace of chemical used from the ones in your lawn. And wild ones would be better anyway. I like seeing them in the fall when the stems are tall and the flowers a huge.

Goose said it was a bit bland. That could probably be fixed with a little extra  honey added to the mix? Or add some other things like grated carrots, zucchini,banana's etc. 

10:30 a.m. on May 8, 2014 (EDT)
TOP 10 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
3,344 reviewer rep
1,228 forum posts

I'll have to try this next spring, I just put down weed & feed.  I eat dandelions leaves each spring, I find them MUCH less bitter if I pick them before they start to flower.  Never tried the petals.  They don't grow wild here :(

4:23 p.m. on May 8, 2014 (EDT)
200 reviewer rep
4,123 forum posts

Jeff, the flowers can be dipped in a batter then fried like mushrooms and they taste very good. Where do you live that they don't grow wild? I have seen them as far north as the edge of the Arctic Ocean in Alaska and as far south as southern Arizona, I would bet they even have them in Hawaii? Here in Jackson Hole they are everywhere in the summer!

My mother even used to press the sap out and make Dandelion wine. The leaves can also be used chopped and added to soups/stews.

August 23, 2014
Quick Reply