Backpacking Food, Beefy Mac, and Cheese.

11:34 a.m. on September 7, 2017 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
3 forum posts

Hello forum. This is my first post. In high school I worked in kitchens, and became a foodie. My first adult job was working in a bakery. For the last 13 years I have been a craft brewer. I like to figure out how to make backpacking food that not only tastes good, but also has a high protein content. Making YouTube videos to show other how to do this is my newest hobby;

12:54 p.m. on September 7, 2017 (EDT)
244 reviewer rep
5,142 forum posts

When I cook pasta, I bring the water to a boil, add the pasta, stir, turn off heat, cover and let stand for 10 minutes. No need to simmer and waste fuel. In ten minutes the pasta is cooked.

I am a cook by trade and learned this trick while making macaroni salad one day. I had put the pasta in the big pan I was using and got a bunch of ticket food orders, So turned off the simmer water and later when I returned the water temp had only dropped 40 degrees in 30 minutes and the pasta was over cooked. But it taught me that I no longer had to simmer for 7 minutes.

You can also save more fuel by presoaking the pasta in cold water, in a water bottle for an hour before, bringing the water to a simmer to make it hot to eat and add other ingredients.

I make a 8 oz cannister of fuel last a month cooking pasta the hot soak method in the frist para graph, and longer if I presoak it first.

I add a can of tuna in oil to the water as its coming to a boil and also crushed Dorito's for a southwest flavor. The oil in the tuna can or soft packet saves carrying extra cooking oil.

I also add sometimes a can of veggies for more taste. Also I don't use more than 2 cups of water to cook the pasta in, adding too much is waste, having to pour out the extra.

7:25 a.m. on September 8, 2017 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
8 forum posts

Thanks for sharing, Anthony. I will check out your videos.

8:58 a.m. on September 8, 2017 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
3 forum posts

GaryPalmer said:

When I cook pasta, I bring the water to a boil, add the pasta, stir, turn off heat, cover and let stand for 10 minutes. No need to simmer and waste fuel. In ten minutes the pasta is cooked.

I am a cook by trade and learned this trick while making macaroni salad one day. I had put the pasta in the big pan I was using and got a bunch of ticket food orders, So turned off the simmer water and later when I returned the water temp had only dropped 40 degrees in 30 minutes and the pasta was over cooked. But it taught me that I no longer had to simmer for 7 minutes.

You can also save more fuel by presoaking the pasta in cold water, in a water bottle for an hour before, bringing the water to a simmer to make it hot to eat and add other ingredients.

I make a 8 oz cannister of fuel last a month cooking pasta the hot soak method in the frist para graph, and longer if I presoak it first.

I add a can of tuna in oil to the water as its coming to a boil and also crushed Dorito's for a southwest flavor. The oil in the tuna can or soft packet saves carrying extra cooking oil.

I also add sometimes a can of veggies for more taste. Also I don't use more than 2 cups of water to cook the pasta in, adding too much is waste, having to pour out the extra.

That is all good advice. I am not a fan of tuna, but I know lots of other folks are. 

9:51 a.m. on September 8, 2017 (EDT)
TOP 10 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
5,671 reviewer rep
1,128 forum posts

Hot tuna sort of bores me. I can eat it, just not that thrilled about it. We used pouched salmon as a welcomed replacement for the ubiquitous tuna on our last family trip of the summer. As a reward for stomping out the day's miles early I rewarded them with hot lunches which we've never done before. Made for a heavy food bag to start, but happy tummies.

Eating well is important to us too. We're not out there to suffer, at least not once we've put down our packs for the day. :)

1:15 p.m. on September 8, 2017 (EDT)
TOP 10 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
2,274 reviewer rep
818 forum posts

Big second on salmon over tuna!  I throw a pouch in for any multiple night trips as a supplement to a meal or a planned ingredient.  They cost more, but it's worth it to me.

3:28 p.m. on September 8, 2017 (EDT)
21 reviewer rep
2,909 forum posts

Thanks Anthony. 

I am protesting dehydrated food. Lately I have been eating things like fresh pasta, smoked salmon and trout, papas, brucheta, and lots of other good stuff. Last year I watched some friends cook steak and lobster at 10,000 feet and it changed everything. 

4:43 p.m. on September 9, 2017 (EDT)
244 reviewer rep
5,142 forum posts

Phil May said; Big second on salmon over tuna!  I throw a pouch in for any multiple night trips as a supplement to a meal or a planned ingredient.  They cost more, but it's worth it to me.

You can get salmon canned for $1 at Dollar Tree.

I also add canned ham,beef,chicken and or salmon, besides tune, all bought at Dollar Tree.

September 26, 2017
Quick Reply