Low sodium soups for backpacking?

9:15 a.m. on February 19, 2002 (EST)
(Guest)

I have moderately elevated blood pressure that I am able to control with a low salt diet. I am planning a six night trip to Baxter State Park in a couple of weeks, and am wondering whether there are any low salt instant soups. All those that I see on my supermarket shelves are very high in salt, and I wonder where I could find some low(er) salt products.

I could, of course, have a hot cocoa instead of a soup in the evening, but I would prefer the soup if a suitable product exists.

Any additional advice on low salt backpacking foods would be much appreciated!

10:24 a.m. on February 19, 2002 (EST)
(Guest)

If you go to your local outdoor store they should have a lot that backpacking food. I've found many of those things to be pretty low in sodium, though I'm not sure about the numbers. But I do seem to need a lot of salt, esp when packing, so I always have to bring along some for those designer backpacking foods. (I mostly just eat cousous, instant grits, and dates though. :)

Good luck,

Daniel

4:02 p.m. on February 19, 2002 (EST)
(Guest)

Mohammed - Having just had a valve replaced in my heart (congenital defect), I too am on a LoSo diet. Lipton does have some low sodium entries, but what you could also try are the Low sodium bullion and add some dehydrated veggies and such to the mix. They seem to work Ok. you can get dried oinion chips in the spice aisle, along with dried soup mix at most food co-ops. Add these to the bullion and custom make what you like.
If you want some additional work, Campbells makes LoSo condensed that you can dump on a dehydrator tray and make into a leather - Tear it in half for a cup-a-soup.

Quote:

I have moderately elevated blood pressure that I am able to control with a low salt diet. I am planning a six night trip to Baxter State Park in a couple of weeks, and am wondering whether there are any low salt instant soups. All those that I see on my supermarket shelves are very high in salt, and I wonder where I could find some low(er) salt products.

I could, of course, have a hot cocoa instead of a soup in the evening, but I would prefer the soup if a suitable product exists.

Any additional advice on low salt backpacking foods would be much appreciated!

8:48 p.m. on February 19, 2002 (EST)
(Guest)

What I do sometimes - Regular Ramen Noodle soup has 710 mg of Sodium - some of it is in the noodles, but I think the most is in soup base ingredients. It has a separate package with the stuff - if you only use part of that - you can reduce amount of sodium significantly. They even have a small message there :"You may regulate the sodium level by simply using less of the seasoning packet"(I just noticed it!)
P.S. (It says cook for 3 minutes - but just adding boiling water and waiting for 3 minutes works fine).

5:04 p.m. on February 20, 2002 (EST)
(Guest)

If you live near a "Whole Foods" store (called Fresh Fields here in SE PA), they sell a line called "Health Valley" which are "low sodium", though this means different things to different manufacturers. They come in sealed paper cups which you could empty into a ziploc bag. I just had their potato with broccoli for lunch today, and it was pretty good.

http://www.wholefoods.com/

12:52 p.m. on February 22, 2002 (EST)
(Guest)

Thanks for the advice -- this is what I will do

Many thanks for the advice.

I looked at the Campbell and Health Valley reduced sodium products, and found that they contain too much sodium for me. But at the Bread and Circus store (the Boston area Whole Foods chain) I did find a salt free all purpose seasoning (salt free Spike). I also found very low salt bouillon in my supermarket.

Nora pointed out that there is no need to cook the Ramen Noodles, just pour boiling water and let them stand. Tried it using salt free bouillon plus Spike instaed of their soup base, worked well. But I suspect that there is quite a lot of salt in the noodles themselves, so I tried the same thing with very fine egg noodles. They became soft, but they had a definite uncooked taste.

So I will cook 2 oz of very fine egg noodles in a mixture of salt free bouillon plus Spike for my daily soup. 2 oz is one cup of dry noodles after some shaking.

Thanks to all for the advice!

November 23, 2014
Quick Reply