freeze dried foods

2:47 p.m. on March 27, 2002 (EST)
(Guest)

I'm gearing up for a three week ski mountaineering trip. Seeking comments on freeze dried foods. I know all about Mountain House (some seem pretty good), Richmoor (barf), and Natural High (decent). Maybe there are some new things to try, such as MSR's offerings, or others I don't know about. Just tell me about the good stuff!

4:15 p.m. on March 27, 2002 (EST)
(Guest)

Lipton makes noodle and rice entrees that come in a bag and need only 2 cups boiling water. The chicken flavors are best because you don't really need oil or butter but if you want extra flavor throw in a slice of butter and maybe some tuna (the kind that is sold in a foil pack). That should keep you full.

Quote:

I'm gearing up for a three week ski mountaineering trip. Seeking comments on freeze dried foods. I know all about Mountain House (some seem pretty good), Richmoor (barf), and Natural High (decent). Maybe there are some new things to try, such as MSR's offerings, or others I don't know about. Just tell me about the good stuff!

4:19 p.m. on March 27, 2002 (EST)
(Guest)

If you're talking pure freeze dried, the Mountainhouse is pretty good. Watch some of them. I think it's the Thai Chicken with peanut sauce actually requires multiple dishes -- just read the instructions before you buy. I bought a couple MSRs recently. They are vegitarian, which is fine in concept, but they didn't have much flavor and were fewer calories for the $$. The Lipton mentioned below is not freeze dried, you have to boil the noodles/rice for 10 minutes or so, so you would burn much more fuel. The foil tuna packs, however, are great.

4:28 p.m. on March 27, 2002 (EST)
(Guest)

Here is a site to check: http://www.cachelake.com/
They have interesting looking trail foods, but I have no experience with their products yet.

7:38 p.m. on March 27, 2002 (EST)
(Guest)

The MSR meals just don't do it for me. Those that have cheese in them are really funky--the cheese will stick to your teeth like a tick on a hound dog. Earlier comment was right--they are also quite bland.

11:17 p.m. on March 27, 2002 (EST)
(Guest)

a.k.a. Kate
Contrary to popular opinion...

I actually think some of MSR's food is quite good (relatively speaking). Haven't tried too many, but there is a tex-mex/chili one that is quite yummy.

11:42 p.m. on March 27, 2002 (EST)
(Guest)

a.k.a. Kate
Kettle Chili & Lentil Curry Couscous n/m

n/m

6:27 a.m. on March 28, 2002 (EST)
30 reviewer rep
1,238 forum posts
Backpackers pantry is pretty good. nm

nm

6:29 a.m. on March 28, 2002 (EST)
30 reviewer rep
1,238 forum posts
Like the tuna in the envelope. Wish someone would make chicken in the envelope! nm

nm

2:13 p.m. on March 28, 2002 (EST)
(Guest)

You can't go wrong with Alpenaire for selection, quality and taste. Backpackers pantry also makes pretty good tasting stuff, but the preparation of many of their meals is more involved than you'd often like in the dark, in bad weather, in a hurry, etc. Check the directions. Most of the Alpenaire selections can be prepared by dumping boiling water into the envelope and waiting a few minutes. All you need is a spoon or you can go "luxury" like I do and eat out of your coffee cup. Not as messy on the coat sleeves.

1:08 a.m. on March 30, 2002 (EST)
(Guest)

I've read on TT that there are foil packs of chicken&salmon. nm

nm

8:39 a.m. on April 2, 2002 (EST)
(Guest)

Any of the MountainHouse chicken dishes are good. I like the teryaki, chicken and rice, and noodles and chicken best. - SherpaKroto

July 30, 2014
Quick Reply