Primus stoves

5:22 p.m. on December 28, 2003 (EST)
(Guest)

Any comments on the Primus Multifuel or Omnifuel stoves?
Are they very loud? which is better? I was also looking at the new MSR Simmerlite, but donot like the plastic pump.
Up here in Canada(NO SNOW YET!!!) the Primus Omni goes for about $160 Canadian, expensive!(that's about $25 U.S)

thanx........jim

11:43 a.m. on December 29, 2003 (EST)
TOP 10 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
2,329 reviewer rep
5,295 forum posts

I have had a Primus MFS for several years now and consider it my current favorite among the 15 or so stoves I have acquired over the years. It has proven very dependable in a wide range of conditions from local hills in the summer to Sierra, Cascades, Rockies, Tetons in winter. The ability to swap between liquid fuels and compressed gas has been really great. It isn't quite as fast on liquid fuel as my XGK, but is close (within 5 or 10 seconds to boil), and the compressed gas is if anything faster to a boil (to within a couple seconds). The only faster compressed gas backpacking stove I have used is my Superfly with the hanging kit heat exchanger. It does simmer reasonably well, although the Omni simmers better. Since I only rarely do gourmet meals on winter trips, this is not very important, but I will note that it simmers better than my Dragonfly.

You ask about the noise - well, what do you expect from an extremely versatile, high output backpacking stove intended for all conditions from deep winter (Canadian style) to summer desert to tropical swamps? Both the MFS and Omni have a "roarer" burner. They are not as loud as an XGK, but are still fairly loud. I have yet to find a really efficient high output backpacking stove that is not fairly loud. The Whisperlite certainly does not "whisper", and the Superfly (which is compressed gas only) is also fairly loud, despite having a "silent" burner as is typical of most compressed gas stoves (hey, Jim S, maybe we should do some loudness measurements of stoves in addition to boil times). The tiny compressed gas stoves are much quieter, but they are also slower, the Pocket Rocket being one example.

You ask which (MFS or Omni) is better. They are about the same in most respects. The two differences that may be of some significance are that the Omni simmers better and the Omni is heavier (slightly). C$160 is more like US$96, which is cheaper than in the US for the Omni. Consider that you will have the stove for many years and many nights of camping (assuming you take good care of it and don't let any grizzlies get at it, and also don't try taking it on an airline trip - it will get confiscated as a "dangerous" and "forbidden" item). I have had my Primus 71L for 45 years, my XGK-II for about 15 years (replacement for original XGK at about 20 years), and the MFS for 7 or 8 years. Most of my stoves have several hundred use-days, in some cases cooking for groups of a dozen people. Your long-term cost for the stove itself will soon get into the "pennies per use" range (for me, C$160 would get to less than $1/camping day in less than 2 years).

8:59 p.m. on April 12, 2004 (EDT)
(Guest)

I have had an MSR stove for a longe time now,, the plastic pump is a safty feature.. that if the stove gets too hot near the fuel bootle the pump mealts and releases pressure avoiding explosions, with metal pumps I have seen and heard of peoples stoves exploding and the tanks breaking.. so I would suggest the plactic pump.. I have had mine for over 20years(under severe usage) and the pump has not broken, plus, if it does cost for fixing very cheep!!

Quote:

Any comments on the Primus Multifuel or Omnifuel stoves?
Are they very loud? which is better? I was also looking at the new MSR Simmerlite, but donot like the plastic pump.
Up here in Canada(NO SNOW YET!!!) the Primus Omni goes for about $160 Canadian, expensive!(that's about $25 U.S)

thanx........jim

September 19, 2014
Quick Reply