canister fuel question

8:37 p.m. on March 21, 2004 (EST)
(Guest)

a.k.a. Kate, Kate F

I am sure this has been asked before, but I couldn't find it, so if those of you with answers would be kind enough to reply again...

I have a MSR Pocket Rocket, and am thinking of picking up a Snow Peak GigaPower Lantern from a friend who is unloading gear. Is the MSR fuel and the GigaPower fuel the same chemical composition? If it's different, does anyone have experience with using them interchangeably? I would rather carry multiples of the same type of fuel than have to carry more than one kind.

Thanks!

8:48 p.m. on March 21, 2004 (EST)
TOP 10 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
2,329 reviewer rep
5,271 forum posts

Quote:

...Is the MSR fuel and the GigaPower fuel the same chemical composition?

Short answer - No.

Relevant answer - doesn't matter. Both the MSR fuel (both mixtures) and Snowpeak (and for that matter, Primus, Markill, and others) are mixes of butane, isobutane, and some propane. As long as the cartridge has an "industry standard" threaded fitting (also called a Lindal valve) on both the stove/lantern/heater head and the cartridge so they mate easily, you can use the head from one brand and the cartridge from another (you can even use the SE Asian cartridges, although there have been reports of some problems, or the Slovenian ones, which seem pretty good).

BUT - GigaPower (Snowpeak) is far and away the most expensive per ounce of fuel. The Markill PowerFuel or MSR pure isobutane if you can find them are the best at low temperatures. The MSR IsoFuel (isobutane and propane mix) is pretty good at low temperatures, and better than the mixes that have regular butane.

10:22 a.m. on April 5, 2004 (EDT)
(Guest)

a.k.a. Patti M

Wow. This is good to know. Do you know what wopuld be a good stove/lantern combo that can run from the same can of fuel? I have been shopping for both.

Quote:

Quote:

...Is the MSR fuel and the GigaPower fuel the same chemical composition?

Short answer - No.

Relevant answer - doesn't matter. Both the MSR fuel (both mixtures) and Snowpeak (and for that matter, Primus, Markill, and others) are mixes of butane, isobutane, and some propane. As long as the cartridge has an "industry standard" threaded fitting (also called a Lindal valve) on both the stove/lantern/heater head and the cartridge so they mate easily, you can use the head from one brand and the cartridge from another (you can even use the SE Asian cartridges, although there have been reports of some problems, or the Slovenian ones, which seem pretty good).

BUT - GigaPower (Snowpeak) is far and away the most expensive per ounce of fuel. The Markill PowerFuel or MSR pure isobutane if you can find them are the best at low temperatures. The MSR IsoFuel (isobutane and propane mix) is pretty good at low temperatures, and better than the mixes that have regular butane.

August 21, 2014
Quick Reply