homemade stoves

6:07 a.m. on November 26, 2004 (EST)
(Guest)

I have used whisperlight stoves and previous to that gas canister stoves, but since making my own coke can stoves, I am hooked!!
They weigh nothing (only the weight of the fuel) and they work great!! They cooked all our food on the weekend just gone during a two day walk with ease...no priming, no flare ups, no worries!!!
I recommend them heartily...
Only one catch...once you've made your first one, you might find it hard to stop!
See you in the bush:
dc

2:31 p.m. on November 26, 2004 (EST)
(Guest)

What conditions are you using your coke can stove? What part of the country and what weather? I have heard they don't work well in winter snow conditions.

4:24 a.m. on January 11, 2005 (EST)
(Guest)

a.k.a. John Howe

I made two, one for the coffee pot, and one for my shorter pot. One stove is about 1/2 of an inch taller than the other so I can have one with a longer burn time Also incase of a failer, a backup. It is nice to be able to heat up soup in the coffee pot, and fry salmon cakes over the other stove. Or coffee and oatmeal in the morning, at the same time. Alcohol might not have the best energy density, but if you knock over the stove , you can dilute the fuel with water to stop combustion. -john-

December 19, 2014
Quick Reply