Brunton Nova Stove

7:09 p.m. on March 7, 2005 (EST)
7 reviewer rep
134 forum posts

Just saw this review by Ed B.

I read all the reviews and thought I was getting the next best stove since sliced bread. However, three days into a 10-day trail the piece of sh*@ crapped out on me. Tried everything, stripped it clean and replaced practically everything you could and it just wouldn't go. I am supposing I got a lemon, but who knows. My faith in this stove is gone and I wouldn't trust it on a long trek ever again. I did love the compact case, simmer control, and the flip top fuel cut off option however the MSR stoves owned by others on my trip made me look bad. Especially after I spent so much time bragging how this stove was suppose to be the cat's meow. Decided to go buy the MSR Dragon Fly.

and have had similar experience with this stove -- it is certainly very temperamental. A few of the issues I've encountered:

1) disconnecting the stove from the fuel bottle pump before it is completely depressurized...the quick disconnect doesn't seal and it spews fuel until all pressure in the bottle is gone.
2) pressurizing the fuel bottle before attaching the stove...the pressure counteracts and prevents attach the fuel line, but the quick release valve remains open and dispenses fuel until all pressure in the bottle is gone.
3) fuel filter clogs. I suspect this to be the root cause of Ed B.'s frustration. The fuel filter itself is the size of a small ball bearing so if using anything other than the cleanest fuel the thing clogs. Replacements come in a package repair kit for about $15!!! but I bet these things cost pennies to make and should be sold by the gross as easily as they clog. I had a weeklong frustation with my stove before I figured out the cause -- took nearly 200 pumps to push fuel past the filter (when working properly 25 pumps is enough).

Never had such difficulties with my whisperlite. That said when it burns, it burns hotter at full throttle, can simmer, packs smaller, is more stable, hey it has a lot of things I like better than the whisperlite. Still can't help but think it too iffy to rely on if it really mattered.

I'm going to continue taking it out, figuring I'll eithers master the thing in the next few trips or toss it in the trash. Maybe I am being too patient and no gear should be this hard, but my son gave it to me as a gift and I will keep giving it a shot when we go out together -- that is until we figure it out completely or are both so frustrated with it it has to go.

Steve

11:44 a.m. on March 8, 2005 (EST)
38 reviewer rep
1,765 forum posts

I have one of these stoves. I agree that the valve on the Nova is way more complicated that it needs to be. MSR's is much simpler-I also have an XGK. Although I have only used my Nova a few times, I have not encountered any of these problems. I followed the instructions about how to depressurize the stove before disconnecting it and haven't had any problems with it leaking at all. Same thing with pressurizing the bottle before hooking it up-the book says to keep it unpressurized until you have it connected. As far as dirty fuel goes, haven't run any through it for that to happen.
I've never used any of the other MSR stoves, but my XGK (an old one from the 80's)is very reliable, burns anything and is pretty foolproof. It won't simmer-it's pretty much either on or off. I also have a tiny Primus Micron with the little Snow Peak canister for a backup.

11:44 p.m. on March 17, 2005 (EST)
37 reviewer rep
747 forum posts

Tom,
Is that the stove we used up at Dewey Point last winter? It seemed like a nice winter stove although I only used it for some snow melting as I recall - so we could test it. I guess that wasn't long enough usage to see the down sides... Most of that trip we used the two burner coleman xponent stove. I know the fuel isn't cheap for the Coleman but its instant on/off, ease of control, and available 15000 btu at most any temperature - not to mention the two burners - its like having a kitchen range only hotter. Its generally not neccessary to turn it all the way up as the flames can shoot several inches above the top of the pan! [using the heat exchanger which directs the flame around the pan.]

11:04 a.m. on March 19, 2005 (EST)
38 reviewer rep
1,765 forum posts

Hi Jim, Yeah, that's the one. I do like that one of yours-so easy to use. I guess it's just a matter of stocking up on the fuel when you find it. The Nova seems more complicated than it needs to be, which makes me wonder if the people who design these things actually ever use them.

December 19, 2014
Quick Reply