Trail Mix...

12:41 p.m. on March 16, 2005 (EST)
(Guest)

Common Trail Mix... peanuts, almonds, raisens, m&ms...
What is the average Calories per cup?

I can't seem to find it any where...
Thanks
Ken
http://bpmaniacs.com/phpbb2/

1:33 p.m. on March 16, 2005 (EST)
TOP 10 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
2,445 reviewer rep
5,393 forum posts
Trail Mix calories

There's a good reason why you can't find the calorie count for trail mix. There is no such thing as a "standard" trail mix. Except for the commercial ones (which do have a nutrition label), everyone's mix is unique, and even varies from one time to the next. What you have to do is add up the ingredients:
from the packages -
M&M - 840 cal/cup (chocolate, not peanut, 1 "serving" is 1/4 cup at 210 calories, 80 of which are fat) - found out the other day that M&M's were developed for the military in WWII - MRE's ???

raisins - 520 cal/cup (1 "serving" is 1/4 cup at 130 cal)

deluxe mixed nuts (no peanuts, I prefer the fancy type) - 680 cal/cup (1 "serving" is 1/4 cup at 170 cal, 140 from fat)

plus hard candies, coconut, small chunks of diced dried fruit, etc etc.

Some people like a granola kind of mix with oats rolled in honey or molasses.

Funny thing about the name "gorp" - the legend has it that it is an acronym for "good old raisins and peanuts". However, that version doesn't appear in writing until the 1960s. In Ruth Mendenhall's books, she says (and told me when I first met her in the 1950s) that it is the sound you make when eating it "gorp! gorp! gorp!" In her backpack cooking book "Gorp, Glop, and Glue Stew", she notes that "glop" is the sound of the thick stuff makes when you serve it (it makes the "glop" sound as it drops from the spoon onto your plate). And "glue stew" of course "sticks to your ribs". These terms date back to at least the 1930s among mountaineers.

7:53 p.m. on March 16, 2005 (EST)
(Guest)

Re: Trail Mix calories

I'm a LAMO... I buy bulk and never thought to actually read the label on the Bulk Bin... Duh;)
Hit the trail mix(mostly nuts/seeds)1/4 cup 150cal
mountain trail(one I posted)1/2 cup 190cal
Now I just need to figure my calorie count per day?

Thanks
Ken
Bpmaniacs
http://bpmaniacs.com/phpbb2/

December 21, 2014
Quick Reply