Stove with a "Fire-pan" wind screen

12:10 a.m. on March 18, 2005 (EST)
37 reviewer rep
747 forum posts

The idea here is not new - it is old and I stole it from my Bibler hanging stove. You can take any two pans from a set where one is a size larger than the other and drill holes in the larger pan and attach a stove burner inside it. The flames bath the smaller inner pan in a very efficient manner and wind on the outer pan doesn't cool the inner pan. Generally these kinds of stoves are for high altitude use and can be hung from small chains attached to the outer pan, which aids in hanging it from a piton or inside your tent, and they have compressed gas burners which work really well at high altitude, but suffer a lot from evaporative cooling at lower altitudes like below 12,000 feet. You need to be sure that there at least 3 large holes [like an inch and a quarter, or 4 one inch holes] to allow enough air to get to the burning fuel so carbon monoxide isn't created.
The weight of the outer pan should be around 5-6 ounces - not too heavy for a windscreen that also increases the efficiency do to the shape thing - there is a thin even cavity all the way around the inner pan which requires less burning gas to maintain a flame filled state.
My favorite homemade model uses the bottom half of a 7" diameter Evernew Stainless Steel pan for the "windscreen/firepan" and next smaller sized Evernew pan in Titanium. This Windscreen/firepan/stove burner combination weighs 8 ounces.
Disclaimer. I do a lot of foolish crazy things like cooking in my tent and solo rock climbing - do not attempt to do the things I do. DOING THIS WRONG COULD CREATE A CARBON MONOXIDE HAZARD.
Jim S

11:53 p.m. on March 18, 2005 (EST)
38 reviewer rep
1,757 forum posts

Hey Jim, love the disclaimer-"kids, don't try this at home!" Your idea sounds kind of like my old aluminum Sigg Tourist cook kit. It has five pieces that nest together-a base with big square holes in the side that holds a SVEA 123-2 tabs hold it in place; the windscreen fits on top of that with horizontal slots on the side and lots of smaller holes on the bottom; two pots fit on top, one smaller than the other and the lid doubles as a frying pan. You can stack them all up to make a double boiler or just use whichever one you need. The whole thing isn't all that heavy. I haven't used it in years, but it is still a pretty good design if you are out with a couple of people. You could easily rig it up for hanging or put a different stove in it.

July 23, 2014
Quick Reply