Jetboil

9:39 a.m. on June 24, 2006 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
2 forum posts

I own a jetboil group for big groups and a companion cup for solo trips. I was wondering if anybody knew about these systems. Everytime I spark up my tank it flares and burns hairs off my hands. This, I can deal with, but will the gas ever spill? engnite? Are these as dangerous as they seem?

10:21 a.m. on June 24, 2006 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
19 forum posts

I have the Jetboil PCS and I can think of three things you might be doing. First I know that when I first got mine I didn't realize that you can't tip it over when the flame is lit because it flares up a lot. I found this out the hard way. Second are you lighting it with the cup or pot on? I have done this before and it creates quite a flame because the fuel gets trapped under the cup. Third how high are you turning up the fuel knob when you light it. It is supposed to be turned up only a quarter to half turn to light. The fuel will never spill but if the burner base is tilted while burning it can make a rather large flame. None of these things could be your problem but these are just a few things I have learned along the way. I hope this helps!

12:46 a.m. on June 26, 2006 (EDT)
TOP 10 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
2,329 reviewer rep
5,299 forum posts

Jetboil uses compressed butane/propane.isobutane mix. When this gets released, it is a gas, not a liquid, so you can't "spill" it in the usual sense.

There are a number of things that can cause a flareup, including those already posted. Shaking the stove can cause a flareup (people sometimes do this when the stove is lit to check how much fuel is left - bad idea!) If you somehow transfer an excess of heat to the canister it will flare.

Generally, the Jetboil, if treated with the respect that should be due any stove with fuel, is quite well behaved. It does have the problems of any compressed gas stove in low temperatures, and it is a compressed, highly flammable fuel.

7:51 p.m. on July 12, 2006 (EDT)
25 reviewer rep
54 forum posts

Seth,

Are you using Jetboil's fuel? I tried snow peaks fuel and had the same problems that you described. But I do not seem to have that problem with Jetboil's fuel.

-John

October 2, 2014
Quick Reply