Breakfast

8:47 p.m. on April 16, 2009 (EDT)
22 reviewer rep
76 forum posts

The most important meal of the day! What do you guys fill up on in the morning after spending the night in the backcountry? Ideas and provisions for lunch/dinner seem much easier then breakfast. I don't know about you guys but I need a big hearty breakfast if I'm planning a long day of backpacking. The thought of freeze dried scrambled eggs from Mountain House make my stomach turn. I'm looking for preferably high protein ideas.

Thanks!

9:01 p.m. on April 16, 2009 (EDT)
42 reviewer rep
352 forum posts

Hummm...tough choice!

3 PB and J bagels are a good filler, but i usually eat this kind of breakfast after having hiked a little to warm-up, they seem to go down better. If i have only bread i would eat around 9 or 10 sandwiches.

For breakfast in bed, i sometimes cook 4 packets of instant oatmeal with plenty of powdered milk, a bit of TVP, dried fruits and a big drop of butter. That's what gets me up the fastest.

Bacon that you pre-cook at home is another good choice to chew on in the morning and it tastes great! Add a handfull of honey-roasted peanuts and a pop tart and you're good to go.

All these are at least 1000 cal, less than that and i crash by 11 or just after lunch. It takes me about 2 weeks of hiking before i can stomach a huge breakfast, if i would try this now at home i think i would die!

9:19 p.m. on April 16, 2009 (EDT)
44 reviewer rep
246 forum posts

I don't do the instant oatmeal in a packet thing. I buy the big can of quaker quick oats and mix them up in baggies at home with brown sugar, powdered milk, and a handful of dried cranberries. Maybe some nuts if I have them.

I occasionally dehydrate my own scrambled eggs, and these are better (and cheaper) than MH, but a lot of people advise against this. I've never had a problem.

My favorite (and the calorie bomb that gets me up the fastest) is huson bay bread with PB+J on top. What is that... like 1500 calories or something?

1:33 a.m. on April 17, 2009 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
46 forum posts

Strawberries and cream oatmeal and honey roasted peanuts........awesome

11:35 a.m. on April 17, 2009 (EDT)
71 reviewer rep
440 forum posts

Coffee.

Then something like granola, dried fruit, and more coffee.

Then I have a cup of coffee.

Then I'm ready to go.

12:58 p.m. on April 17, 2009 (EDT)
TOP 10 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
2,329 reviewer rep
5,271 forum posts

The protein component is a frequently overlooked part of breakfast (especially among the coffee-only crowd). On expeditions, we generally have a stick of jerky (turkey for the non-mammal meat crowd), Italian dry sausage (keeps well for even desert trips, though a bit high in fat content, which some find hard to handle at high altitude), individual sausage sticks, or peanut butter (lots of protein, plus the fat content seems easier to digest at altitude). There are some powdered eggs that come out pretty well, or for short trips, hardboil a half-dozen eggs ahead of time (they keep for several days with no problem - a hardboiled egg was included in every lunch on Kilimanjaro, along with the chicken leg, banana, orange, bread, and piece of cake).

2:03 p.m. on April 17, 2009 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
11 forum posts

instant grits FBC style with a healthy tbsp of powdered butter, powdered milk, good shake of salt & pepper, and a tbsp of crumbled bacon from the 3oz shelf-stable pack that goes with me on every weekend. Sometimes I'll substitute maple syrup instead of the butter/salt/pepper when I want to go sweet instead of salty. either way it's delicious.

oh and hot chocolate

11:03 p.m. on April 18, 2009 (EDT)
15 reviewer rep
40 forum posts

Anything and everything and as much as I feel like preparing and eating.

And I mean it-doesn't matter if it is meat or chocolate, vegetables or cereal and so on. I might skip lunch but I'm surely eating breakfast unless it's beets or limburger.

7:55 p.m. on May 5, 2009 (EDT)
21 reviewer rep
9 forum posts

I have a hard time getting going unless I have real food in the morning. I'm a huge baking nut when I'm at home so some of that enthusiasm does transfer to the trail. The breakfast I can eat every single day... 1 cup of pancake batter fried in butter, cooked into a really thick frybread. then you take a handfull of bacon pieces and throw it on top and fold it over omlet style. You then have a warm crisp buttery bacon bread. I also have a couple handfulls of mixed nuts, a couple of fruit sticks, some coffee and I'm good to go.

9:20 p.m. on May 5, 2009 (EDT)
200 reviewer rep
4,119 forum posts

I usually make soft panfried Tortillas.

Basically they are just like pancakes except they are flour, water and a little salt. Kinda like a pancake. I mix the batter and fry them on the bottom of my cook pot. I just grease the bottom, pour a small amount on the pan to make a 2 inch diameter pancake. I eat about four of these with raspberry jam. Then I make about 2 or 3 dozen of them more and let them cool before sticking them in a Ziploc bag to eat the rest of the day.

12:18 a.m. on May 19, 2009 (EDT)
REVIEW CORPS
1,235 reviewer rep
1,267 forum posts

I usually have several packets of instant oatmeal, some green tea, and maybe some granola, dates, or something else to munch on.

9:05 p.m. on May 19, 2009 (EDT)
200 reviewer rep
4,119 forum posts

I usually don't eat anything till about 11 am. I figure after the biggest meal of the day for me being supper, all I have done is let it digest and settle in by morning. I usually snack during the day on crackers and cheese, Peanut Butter, dried fruit and nuts.

If I do have anything for breakfast it might be some instant hot chocolate on a cold frosty morning before I get out of the tent or my bag.

1:36 a.m. on May 21, 2009 (EDT)
155 reviewer rep
99 forum posts

Don't forget the fried SPAM Lite Singles packets! TASTES just like bacon when fried. LOOKS just like turkey bacon when fried. And 90% of the excess greasiness is cooked off. I loves me SPAM Lite Singles! Add 'em to your Ova Easy Powdered Eggs or Walton Feed Egg Mix for one heck of a breaky. I've not actually tried the Ova Easy or Walton Feed Egg Mix. I've had the MEC eggs and they were not too bad at all. But according to professional cooks that I know, I should have been using either of the other two that I mentioned 'cuz they are indistinguishable from fress eggs when cooked or baked with. SPAM & Eggs! Mmmmmmm...

Later!

11:29 a.m. on May 21, 2009 (EDT)
12 reviewer rep
207 forum posts

I have never eaten the Spam Sigles but a buddie told me last night that he picked some up for our trip this weekend.

7:36 p.m. on May 22, 2009 (EDT)
22 reviewer rep
76 forum posts

Look forward to the second opinion!

2:24 p.m. on May 24, 2009 (EDT)
63 reviewer rep
190 forum posts

Coffee.

Then something like granola, dried fruit, and more coffee.

Then I have a cup of coffee.

Then I'm ready to go.

Right there with you buddy! Java and Spam with an english muffin, 3 or 4 cups of pressed coffee, then I grab some dried fruit. Other breakfasts include real eggs (mostly first morning) fried up with a little salt and pepper. I don't mind the Mtn. House eggs and bacon, (they seem to have a binding effect on my body) but nothing beats homemade goodies. Sometimes I make fresh baguettes to take with me. They last for about a week and the house smells awesome when I bake them.

Stingray - What might be the problem with dehydrating your own eggs? Don't get me wrong I know about salmonila and such, but I don't let that scare me. IMHO, it has more to do with the individuals stomach tolerances and proper prep. But I eat anything, and that's why I'm fat. I need a food dehydrator i think...

Has anybody tried to dehydrate Corned Beef Hash? That is one of my favorite guilty pleasures, along with canned herring fillets. I know it can be messy, and all that metal and liquid can get heavy, but hay, it's food we're talking about.

9:15 p.m. on May 24, 2009 (EDT)
7 reviewer rep
134 forum posts

My usual breakfast is similar to stingrays...quick oats mixed with other stuff.

Recipe: (mix in a ziploc at home)

1/2 cup Quaker Quick Oats

1/2 cup Granola

1/6 cup Nido powder whole milk

1/4 cup Fruit bits

23 nuts Almonds

This amounts to about 750 calories which I'll sometimes supplement with a couple sticks of beef jerky. I can usually knock back 4-5 hours on the trail before lunch (munching on a handful of trail mix or 1/2 a probar about every hour).

3:13 a.m. on May 29, 2009 (EDT)
12 reviewer rep
207 forum posts

I tried the Spam Singles this past weekend and really liked them. I ate one straight out of the package for luch one day and another broke up in a Ramen the next. They seemed a little less salty than the regular Spam from a can but that could have just been me.

Gary C.

7:41 p.m. on May 29, 2009 (EDT)
22 reviewer rep
76 forum posts

Will said:

I tried the Spam Singles this past weekend and really liked them. I ate one straight out of the package for luch one day and another broke up in a Ramen the next. They seemed a little less salty than the regular Spam from a can but that could have just been me.

Gary C.

I wonder what the Turkey one tastes like. At least you know what's in a turkey one... I'll give it a shot next time I stop at the grocery store.

11:38 a.m. on June 2, 2009 (EDT)
27 reviewer rep
82 forum posts

I saw a cool breakfast recipe in Backpacker last month. Tried it this weekend and it was great! Thought Id share:

2 eggs
2-4 strips of bacon
1 paper lunch sack

At home, freeze bacon in foil wrap. On trail, store bacon deep in pack to slow thaw time. Using bacon, rub inside of paper bag, sides and bottom. Drop bacon in sack. Crack eggs, place in bag. Roll top of bag shut. Set bag on a hot rock next to coals, NOT flames. Allow 10-15 minutes to cook, turning bag occasionaly. Open bag, enjoy!

August 21, 2014
Quick Reply