Coeliac Disease

5:52 a.m. on April 19, 2009 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
9 forum posts

Hi, I've recently been told i have a disease which doesn't allow me to eat gluten, this is present in rye, and any other cereal, except corn. Up to now i've used dehydrated foods which contain rye and cereals, i also ate power bars but most of them also use cereals. Are any of you coeliac and can anyone please help me find some food tips to avoid eating cereals. thanks

9:01 a.m. on April 19, 2009 (EDT)
44 reviewer rep
246 forum posts

I have a big one, although it's not specific: buy a food dehydrator.

I have special dietary requirements as well, so I can't eat the commercial freeze-dried stuff. $60 for a quality dehydrator quickly pays for itself anyway. That MH stuff is expensive!!!

10:43 a.m. on April 19, 2009 (EDT)
42 reviewer rep
352 forum posts

You can built one to try it out of carboard box, 2 pieces of wood, some foil and a 100W lamp. It works well. I like to dehydrate frozen veggies from the grocery store, it's fast, easy and you can't mess it up.

For the special diet sorry i can't help, i just eat anything i can lay my hands on.

1:04 p.m. on April 19, 2009 (EDT)
71 reviewer rep
440 forum posts

When I was in high school I drove a '67 Coeliac for a while, until the tranny blew....

But seriously....if a healthcare professional gave you a diagnosis of coeliac disease, the next thing he should've done is to give you a referral to a properly trained dietitian. While celiac disease (as it's usually spelled in the states) may seem rare, it's not actually that uncommon. In addition to a good dietetics consultation, involvement with a celiac group in your locale may be beneficial, too.

Feel free to put a little pressure on the physician(s) or whomever made the diagnosis to provide more follow-through than "Don't eat rye." Wheat is the much more common offender, by the way.

There's also more than a fair bit of information available on the web--one that readily came up when I Googled it was the Celiac Disease Foundation. As always, be aware of the source of information and look for corroboration from reliable sources.

And btw, I like the food deydrator idea, too.

1:36 p.m. on April 19, 2009 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
9 forum posts

thanks to all^^, i just gotat figure out how the food dehydrator works

2:14 p.m. on April 19, 2009 (EDT)
TOP 25 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
1,339 reviewer rep
259 forum posts

My daughter's best friend has Coeliac's, and she backpacks with us often. The advice you've been given is sound. Try health food places (you have a Trader Joe's in your neighborhood?).

Nearly everything you eat at home can be simplified and turned into dehydrated trail food. Look online at at DIY -- it's pretty simple. A good technique is in your electric oven (it's a drier heat than gas) turn to 150 and just go slow, and the cardboard box technique works pretty well too, but it's a bit of pain to build.

Smear the food thin. If you can put it on cheesecloth, and put that on a rack, that helps too.

Good foods are gluten free noodles, gluten free tortilla shells, etc that are typical good backpack foods.

Another part to this is if you can get your hands on a vacuum sealer, it helps the food from "drawing moisture" so it doesn't get soft nor does it draw taste from the environment. You don't want to dehydrate chicken, etc and leave that for the last day. In fact, you may just want to take the chicken packs with you to add to your meal there.

Good luck!

10:38 p.m. on May 17, 2009 (EDT)
10 reviewer rep
475 forum posts

Corn/rice/soy replaces most uses of wheat/rye and other grasses/grains. A LOT about it on the internet.

September 18, 2014
Quick Reply