About | Blog | Forums | People | Free Newsletter
Trailspace is a product review site for outdoor enthusiasts. Use it to find and share great gear.

PreCooked food at home before outdoor trips

1:13 p.m. on December 27, 2009 (EST)
200 reviewer rep
3,917 forum posts

I like things like Pasta, Rice and Beans in my hiking foods. But as anyone knows cooking rice and beans can be time consuming, so I do it at home and then dry the cooked rice and beans for use on the trail. Once cooked and dried they both are easily rehydrated in camp.

As for Pasta I bring the water to a boil, add the pasta, bring back to a boil then turn off my stove and set the cook pot with a lid on on top of a Tshirt or something to insulate it from the ground and wrap the shirt around it too. Then I let it sit for about 10 minutes to soak up the water. Then add the other ingredients and eat.

The precooked rice and beans can be rehydrated and cooked by the same method for the pasta.

Trying out making meals from scratch at home and get the cooking methods down before heading out into the field makes meal times more enjoyable.

And with a little experimentation Pasta can be made at home, Its like making pie dough. You roll it out use a pizza cutter to make long thin strips about 2 inches long and then let them dry at room temperture and put them into Ziplocs for later meals and camping trip.

9:50 p.m. on December 27, 2009 (EST)
10 reviewer rep
459 forum posts

For pasta, rather than the traditional method of stretching it, doubling, stretching, you can, as you did, roll it out. I was lazy and wanted smaller noodles so after rolling it out, rolled it up in a tight roll and sliced off, from the end, to the width needed for my noodles. Dried, etc.

If very lazy and not prepared ahead of time, for 'raw' pasta and beans, I pre-soak them in jug in my pack, on the trail before I end up for the day. A little heavier for an hour or so.

4:48 p.m. on March 19, 2010 (EDT)
TOP 10 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
2,679 reviewer rep
1,137 forum posts

Spagetti sauce dehydrates really well and makes good trail spagetti with some noodles. I hate paying $9 for a freeze dried meal that only supplies maybe 500cal. What a rip off! My kids won't eat that stuff anyway. I think I should be able to eat on the trail for less than the GSA per diem rate.

Minute rice, bullion, dried basil and tomatoes from the garden make a good, fast and hearty soup. We also favor plain, boxed mac 'n cheese with some tuna from a pouch mixed in. Toss in some dehydrated peas and the kids will be happy and they will have a decent meal that they like.

10:06 a.m. on March 22, 2010 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
67 forum posts

A food dehydrator is you best tool because you can dry foods at home and merely rehydrate on the trail... thus saving fuel consumption and fuel weight. At home, I often will dehydrate our dinner leftovers from soups, stews and chili. Better than the leftovers going bad in the fridge. Then I freeze the homemade dried meals until we go on our trips.

April 17, 2014
Quick Reply