Edible plants, hmmmm....

12:29 a.m. on January 1, 2010 (EST)
1,631 reviewer rep
3,962 forum posts

I was wondering if anyone could tell me of any books or literature of any kind that list the edible plant life within the continental United States? I am looking at primarily the eastern states. I am planning quite a few hikes(shortest 70 mile) this year as well as the years to come and I would like to keep something of this nature in my pack. Thanks

2:14 p.m. on January 1, 2010 (EST)
37 reviewer rep
747 forum posts

if you search on edible plants of the east you will get a lot of hits.

Jim S

3:33 p.m. on January 1, 2010 (EST)
1,631 reviewer rep
3,962 forum posts

Truthfully I don't know if I will even utilize the knowledge. I would rather know than not though because as we all know situations do arise when least expected. I did the search and got so many hits I didn't know where to start with it. Thanks for the response Jim S. Its appreciated.

10:17 a.m. on January 25, 2010 (EST)
MODERATOR REVIEW CORPS
658 reviewer rep
2,149 forum posts
11:56 a.m. on January 25, 2010 (EST)
225 reviewer rep
1,200 forum posts

I started with the Peterson Field Guide to Flowerng plants and first learned to identify all plants in the Southeast(or at least many), and then I got the Peterson guide to Edible plants and correlated the two. Afterwhich I started eating.

3:55 p.m. on January 25, 2010 (EST)
MODERATOR REVIEW CORPS
998 reviewer rep
3,556 forum posts

Good color photos are a plus with any field guide, and with edibles you need to have 100% certainty. I know a few edibles by sight, but if I wasn't sure I think I would just keep walking.

12:24 p.m. on January 26, 2010 (EST)
30 reviewer rep
1,240 forum posts

When I lived in Bethel Park, you could walk miles and miles along the streetcar tracks and collect tons of black berries.

I miss that.

Here in Florida, the best berry patches are guarded by gators :)

10:02 p.m. on January 26, 2010 (EST)
225 reviewer rep
1,200 forum posts

Everyone in the southeast should know about nettles, chickweed, mustard greens, burdock root, violets, lambs-quarters(the best pot herb), and ramps. Just knowing these can keep you going in the spring.

2:08 p.m. on January 27, 2010 (EST)
344 reviewer rep
1,124 forum posts

Even more importantly learn first those plants that will kill. Those ar the most important ones. Once youve got those ingrained in brain, only then look for the edibles.

4:38 p.m. on January 27, 2010 (EST)
MODERATOR REVIEW CORPS
658 reviewer rep
2,149 forum posts

Good point, Mike. In the Eastern US, there are several deadly plants that closely resemble edible ones. If you don't know both the edible and poisonous ones with definite certainty the results could be less than happy.

O have been learing and studying the flora of the region for 12 years, and I still run into ones that perplex me. Those are the ones that rile me until I figure out what they are!

10:47 p.m. on January 28, 2010 (EST)
75 reviewer rep
306 forum posts

Nice question, I have actually been looking for something similar to this!

D

3:23 a.m. on March 14, 2010 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
67 forum posts

Wintergreen is really nice and makes a great addition to tea or hot chocolate. Use only the leaves - not the berries and you'll know that you have the right plant because it smells of minty goodness when you tear a leaf in half.

Here is a photo of it taken a little later in the season. It seems to like wet and mossy places.

December 20, 2014
Quick Reply