Bugs/Insects for your next camp meal

4:42 p.m. on January 11, 2010 (EST)
200 reviewer rep
4,083 forum posts

Here's an interesting link I got from Backpacker Magazine dot com's website about edible bugs you can buy like Tarantulas,scorpions,ants, etc.

Also meat like Reindeer Pate, Giant Hornet Honey, Toasted Leafcutter Ants.

Bug and insect trail mix anyone?

http://www.edible.com/

6:10 p.m. on January 11, 2010 (EST)
MODERATOR REVIEW CORPS
983 reviewer rep
3,470 forum posts

Hey....this looks like what I get when I clean out my tent after summer camping!

Funny Gary, but I'll pass. Maybe ask me when I'm three days out and no more food left.

6:33 p.m. on January 11, 2010 (EST)
1,631 reviewer rep
3,962 forum posts

I have consumed some odd stuff from time to time...thats another story. What is that? Kinda makes me think this is what Bear Grylls would end up with if he had a deep fryer with some whale blubber.

11:38 a.m. on January 22, 2010 (EST)
MODERATOR REVIEW CORPS
658 reviewer rep
2,148 forum posts

I have tried earthworms, junebug and cicada larva, and a mature cicada. The latter was because of a bet, which I won, and the others were just to see how horrid they would be in the event I ever needed to. The larvea and earthworms we not very pleasant, but definitely eatable, especially if you were to roast them a little. The mature Cicada, however, was pretty nasty- too much exoskeleton, too many crunchy wings & legs, and it tased kinda like spoiled mushrooms.

July 31, 2014
Quick Reply