Deep fried Dandilion flowers

1:49 p.m. on April 24, 2010 (EDT)
210 reviewer rep
4,302 forum posts

A interesting delight can be made by dipping the yellow flowers of the Dandilions that are sprouting up all over the world right now. Simply make a batter, dip the flowers in and fry in hot oil. They taste good and the first time I had one in Denali Park Alaska I had no idea what they were till the guy who made them, camping next to me told me. I have enjoyed them ever since.

Of course also the leaves can be used for salads and the roots of mature Dandilions can be used like a tuber, sliced up and added to soups and stews. My mother even used to make wine from the pressed out juice from the stems. She would harvest them just before my father mowed the yard every week.

They are one of the best known "Weeds" but are the best edible "Weeds" I know.

8:10 p.m. on April 25, 2010 (EDT)
MODERATOR REVIEW CORPS
998 reviewer rep
3,506 forum posts

I'm gonna try that Gary!

11:37 p.m. on April 25, 2010 (EDT)
25 reviewer rep
14 forum posts

This sounds interesting. I never thought dandelions would taste good! I have heard of them put in salads but I was always ignorant towards using them.

9:58 a.m. on April 26, 2010 (EDT)
210 reviewer rep
4,302 forum posts

Well the flowers are not very tasty unless deepfried in batter. The leaves and roots are edible raw, tho the leaves taste better with dressing or at least vinegar. Younger plants have better tasting leaves, older one have bigger roots.

1:20 p.m. on April 26, 2010 (EDT)
73 reviewer rep
303 forum posts

I love the suggestion and will have to try it!

However, I love the below sentence more because I have heard it applied to oh-so-many things!

Well [insert random item] are not very tasty unless deepfried in batter.

4:25 p.m. on April 26, 2010 (EDT)
69 reviewer rep
14 forum posts

"If it's green it might be trouble, if it's fried give me double." - Roy Biggins Wings TV Show from last century! :-)

Mike

8:43 a.m. on April 27, 2010 (EDT)
4 reviewer rep
15 forum posts

Do they just taste like fried batter?

2:07 p.m. on April 27, 2010 (EDT)
210 reviewer rep
4,302 forum posts

Actually they are a lot like fried mushrooms. It depends on what you batter them with. I usually just do a milk and egg yolk mix and a flour,salt and pepper mix, each mix separate from the other in bowls. Then dip the flowers into the milk mix, then into the flour mix and back and forth till the flowers are well coated. Then I dont fry them in a deep fryer where they are submerged. I put enough cooking oil in a frying pan and place the battered flowers in, let them cook on one side then flip them with a spatula and cook the other side(s). You want the batter to have a browned crust but not over fried otherwise they will just taste like the batter because the flower's will over cook.

I have eaten them on just about every campout I have been on because Dandilions grow all over the country. And when I think of it at home do do also. The smaller the flower the better they are cuase as they get large they get bitter. The leaves are also quite good as salad, especially mixed with other greens. In the spring hardwood leaf sprouts and pine needle sprouts

that are still light green and soft make good salad greens as well as young clover and some grasses.

Young tree leaves and dandilion taken in my yard. The young tree leaves are only a inch or so long now. Once they mature into regular leaves they will be bitter. The leaves of the Dandilion in thi image above are good just about anytime but are also best when young. And you can pick the leaves and new ones will grow back. Pick the flowers at the base of the stems and they will also grow back.

I don't have a pine tree around or I would show you the young needles I am talking about. They look and are very soft and not hardened like mature pine needles. Both the young leaves and needles taste kind of sweet.

1:21 a.m. on April 28, 2010 (EDT)
75 reviewer rep
306 forum posts

Hmmmm. looks like it will definitely be worth a try....as they say, everything is better either fried or with bacon!

As for the leaves and roots [tubers] does the milky white ooze taste or feel funny when you eat them? I personally have not tried dandilions but I know they sell the greens at the local Fresh Market.

D

11:51 a.m. on April 29, 2010 (EDT)
210 reviewer rep
4,302 forum posts

The younger plants and earlier plants dont have so much odfthe white milky sap. But otherwise I have never notived much taste.

My mother also used to make wine from the stems somehow. I never found out how she did it. She passed away in 1996. She would go out every week before my father mowed the yard and collect all the Dandilion stems.

9:53 a.m. on May 27, 2010 (EDT)
4 reviewer rep
15 forum posts

I have a recipe for Dandilion Wine from the "Old Settlement Cookbook" my grandma gave me.

9:13 p.m. on May 27, 2010 (EDT)
2 reviewer rep
140 forum posts

Dandilion flowers are great, after I flower and fry them, I mix them in eggs. When I was little my mother and her sister would go out and pick the leaves in the spring. They would fry up bacon and make a flower batter, put in the leaves and boiled eggs, onion. It was a Easter treat I could not get enough of.

9:35 a.m. on May 28, 2010 (EDT)
4 reviewer rep
15 forum posts

yummmm

November 27, 2014
Quick Reply