Homemade stoves

9:53 p.m. on April 30, 2010 (EDT)
200 reviewer rep
4,070 forum posts

A simple homemade stove can be made of a small soup can. Just take an old fashioned can opener that cuts a triangular hole

Example...

and recycle a used emptied can that has the lid completely cut off one end. Take the old fashioned can opener and cut 4 openings around the top upper edge of the can and the bottom side edge of the can. See illustration below:

The bottom of the can in the picture above shows the holes all the way around the bottom, even tho the opposite side would not be visable.

Then when you use the stove have easy-light BBQ briquettes with you in a ziploc bag. Place one briquette in the bottom, light it and when its ready place your cook pot on top. The side holes allow air to go in the bottom and escape the underneath side of the cook pot. Without the holes the briquette would go out with out air to breathe. For extra heat or if needed longer place anothe briquette on top the other before it goes out.

Cookpot on soup can stove (with macaroni cooking inside) :)

You may have to stabilize the stove can with rocks. You can also make the stove from most any size can. I have used the large so called #10 cans that restuarants get food it as a simple woodstove. Just cut more holes around the can for better air distribution.

I have even seen at an old miners camp in the Grand Canyon where they took a old washtub turned upside down, built a fire underneath and with a hole cut out on the tubs original bottom for air as well as another on the side to stock the fire with wood. It was still where it had been used at a camp from perhaps a hundred years before.

I drew the illustrations in Paintbox on my PC. Nice, Huh?

10:57 a.m. on May 1, 2010 (EDT)
102 reviewer rep
2,276 forum posts

HeyGary:
How much work can the soup can and a briquete or two accomplish? (e.g. boil pot of water in x minutes, keep a pot boiling for x minutes...)
Ed

11:35 a.m. on May 1, 2010 (EDT)
200 reviewer rep
4,070 forum posts

Depends on altitude mainly. Its just a darn good little homemade stove. The briquettes burn slower and with less heat at higher alitudes. I used mine in the Tetons. Like a fuel tablet it burns slow and gives of enough heat to cook with. Afterwards the briquette is gone. Make one an experiment with it!

6:10 p.m. on May 1, 2010 (EDT)
MODERATOR REVIEW CORPS
968 reviewer rep
3,470 forum posts

Gary, that looks like an excellent alternative to a wood stove for use in areas that do not have enough dead wood to support it's use as a fuel.

I think that home made stoves are interesting, they have the "Tinker Factor"! Some people just enjoy making useful stuff.

Nice drawing BTW.

12:04 a.m. on May 2, 2010 (EDT)
75 reviewer rep
306 forum posts

I by no means need a stove like that, but as Trout said it has "Tinker Factor", so I'm in1 I think I will give it a try! And I thought the alky stoves were pretty easy to make!

D

12:45 a.m. on May 2, 2010 (EDT)
2 reviewer rep
66 forum posts

Gary,

Here is a high-tech version of your stove. http://biolitestove.com/BioLite.html

It looks like someone tinkered long enough and put a fan on a can stove.
You can build something similar, just buy a $5 fan and a 9V battery and you've got a blower stove. They work pretty well, even with wet wood.

1:10 a.m. on May 6, 2010 (EDT)
108 reviewer rep
45 forum posts

My GF and her sis are biking cross Canada this summer leaving in June (going west)...
I wanna make them something like this to supplement their gas stove,
Knowing their tea addiction...

Here is the best site I have found so far...

http://www.jureystudio.com/pennystove/pennywood.html

July 23, 2014
Quick Reply