My all time favorite meal

12:17 a.m. on June 5, 2010 (EDT)
200 reviewer rep
4,214 forum posts

Fried onions,bell peppers and potatoes...

For tonights recipe I used one medium sized yellow onion, one small bell pepper and three small red potatoes. Another faorite potatoe is the sweet or yam potato which adds a delicious flavor and color to the meal.

I start by sauting the diced onions in hot vegetable oil. I simmer them till they are a nice carmel brown. I season them with salt and ground black pepper. When they are soft and tender I add the diced bell peppers and potatoes. The potatoes take the longest to cook down to be soft. I add more salt,pepper, seasoned salt and ground sage and let it cook with a lid over it to hold in the heat and moisture. Then when all the vegies are done I take the lid off and let them dry out and the moisture to evaporate. I like them toasty brown.

The lid on to saute everything. This is at home on my electric stove.

This after I have removed the lid and start to let the vegies dry out and roast.

Now they are done, roasted and reduced by about half. At home here I turn off the heat and let them stop sizzling.

Smells delicious don't they? Oh, sorry you can't smell them. I love the smell of roasted vegies on the night air.

For backpacking potatoes, onions and the peppers keep best if they are kept dry as at home. In camp I hang the onions and potatoes in bug-netting bags to let them air. The peppers keep best when cool so I store them in plastic buckets to keep the rodents out.

If potatoes or onions sprout the sprouts are edible too. I like to sliver the potato sprouts and add them to soups. The onion sprouts aregood in salads and also sliced thin into soups.

5:02 p.m. on June 5, 2010 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
263 forum posts

Here is one of mine but there are many.

Not trail food!

5:32 p.m. on June 5, 2010 (EDT)
2 reviewer rep
140 forum posts

That is a great recipe, I do the same thing. Only difference is I use hot peppers. I like to soft boil egges and as I eat them I let the soft yellow of the egg spill into the potatoes. Another way is to use you grader and shread the potatoes, they cook up a lot faster and brown better.

9:35 p.m. on June 5, 2010 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
263 forum posts

Ya'll aint getting this on the trail. Fresh, home baked chocolate chip cookie with a dollop of ice cream and strawberry syrup. Ohhh Baby!

11:35 p.m. on June 5, 2010 (EDT)
200 reviewer rep
4,214 forum posts

And why not, have you never baked in camp, I use a reflector oven. And Ice cream can be made outdoors. And hamburger with corn on the cob,salad and a baked potatoe? I have made all of these in camp. The corn and potatoe can be cooked wrapped in aluminum foil. The burger cooks just as well on a flat rock as it does a frying pan. And salad is easily done outdoors.

12:13 a.m. on June 6, 2010 (EDT)
141 reviewer rep
218 forum posts

That has to be a sin. It looks too good.

2:08 p.m. on June 6, 2010 (EDT)
8 reviewer rep
28 forum posts

You might start a new thread titled, " What to do if you meet a bear on the way to the outhouse in the middle of the night! " after all of the onions, peppers and boiled egg.

2:19 p.m. on June 6, 2010 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
263 forum posts

Or after munching on paddlemans skinny legs? Fire roasted and smoked. Not sure..................

3:47 p.m. on June 6, 2010 (EDT)
200 reviewer rep
4,214 forum posts

Must be the boiled egg that send you to the bathroom in the middle of the night. For me onions,bells and potatoes stay with me and I dont loose anything as far as waste? I don't add eggs to mine!

9:02 p.m. on June 8, 2010 (EDT)
8 reviewer rep
28 forum posts

Better the roadrunner than the coyote my freind! You will recognize me by my Arcteryx Bora 80, Noddlehead! Then you will taste my dust! You can put that in your favorite meals! Heh, Heh!

Noddlehead!

9:26 p.m. on June 8, 2010 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
263 forum posts

Better the roadrunner than the coyote my freind! You will recognize me by my Arcteryx Bora 80, Noddlehead! Then you will taste my dust! You can put that in your favorite meals! Heh, Heh!

Noddlehead!

Laughing!

Who would we be if we could not take a ribbing now and then..

I can dish it out and take it as well............

Good group here.

October 22, 2014
Quick Reply