Whats your favorite trail snack?

11:23 a.m. on June 30, 2010 (EDT)
200 reviewer rep
4,141 forum posts

Actually mine might sound weird, but I like sardines and Wheat Thins. I like the plain sardines on a Wheat Thin cracker with a slice of cheddar cheese. I have enjoyed these since my first long camping trips in the high country of Yosemite in 1980. The sardines and cheese give a lil bit of fat on a midday stop to energise the rest of the hike.

11:39 a.m. on June 30, 2010 (EDT)
MODERATOR REVIEW CORPS
998 reviewer rep
3,475 forum posts

Not weird, I like sardines & crackers also.

When my dog used to go hiking with me we would share them, he loved seafood / fresh water fish.

While the tins are a bit heavy for backpacking, I occasionally take one or two anyway, and I think they are great for dayhikes. I like the Star Kist snack packs too, the ones with tuna or crab & crackers. Some of them come with a cookie as well.

12:20 p.m. on June 30, 2010 (EDT)
200 reviewer rep
4,141 forum posts

You can transfer the sardines to a Ziploc bag to save weight and mess. I use Ziploc's for everything soup to nuts. Just double bag anything wet to ensure it does'nt come open inside the pack. Often I even put my topo maps in them to keep them dry and also my Toilet Paper, what in Boy Scouts we called wet weather insurance.

1:31 p.m. on June 30, 2010 (EDT)
12 reviewer rep
207 forum posts

My favorite for dayhikes is one the TH mentioned, the pre-mixed tuna salid and crackers. Those things are great.

When backpacking I always carry honey roasted p-nuts and a mixed con-coction caled "Sweet & Salty", I think they are made by Keebler.

3:37 p.m. on June 30, 2010 (EDT)
72 reviewer rep
311 forum posts

Dont get me wrong i love the healthy granola bars,snickers,nuts,cheese and all the others but when on a warmer weather hike or climb Pringles are my down fall.

11:23 p.m. on June 30, 2010 (EDT)
37 reviewer rep
71 forum posts

Me & lucy love beef jerkey when we hike.

11:29 p.m. on June 30, 2010 (EDT)
REVIEW CORPS
563 reviewer rep
286 forum posts

I mix up my own trail mix; lots of nuts, some M&Ms, sunflower seeds, very little dried fruit (no raisins), and whatever else looks good while I'm shopping.

I also like Nature Valley Sweet & Salty Nut granola bars (pecan or peanut).

11:51 a.m. on July 1, 2010 (EDT)
MODERATOR REVIEW CORPS
658 reviewer rep
2,148 forum posts

I love chewy granola bars. Also a mix of nuts, chocolate, etc. But I think my favorite is dried fruits- blueberries, dates, pineaple, etc. I don't usually put it all together in a trail mix because in the heat and humidity here in the Southeast I find that it makes a mess, and all the flavors blend together in an unnapealing way.

For heavier snacking or quick meals I like cheese, peperoni, vacuum selaed meats (tuna, salmon, chicken, etc), beef jerky, and bagels.

I've never been a fan of taking hard pretzles or chips in the backcountry- just too dry and salty, I guess.

4:42 p.m. on July 1, 2010 (EDT)
141 reviewer rep
218 forum posts

I love chewy granola bars. Also a mix of nuts, chocolate, etc. But I think my favorite is dried fruits- blueberries, dates, pineaple, etc. I don't usually put it all together in a trail mix because in the heat and humidity here in the Southeast I find that it makes a mess, and all the flavors blend together in an unnapealing way.

For heavier snacking or quick meals I like cheese, peperoni, vacuum selaed meats (tuna, salmon, chicken, etc), beef jerky, and bagels.

I've never been a fan of taking hard pretzles or chips in the backcountry- just too dry and salty, I guess.

I live in the South East as well, but I dont find that the dried fruits flavors blend together. Do you mean because of the chocolate? Just wonder.

I like trail mix the best and like to make my own (usually). I like lots of nuts (pecan and almonds the bests) and Lots of dried fruit mixed with a good whole grain cereal (like a mini wheat type of cereal). I dont use chocolate much because of the heat, so I like flavored cereals instead.

5:02 p.m. on July 1, 2010 (EDT)
MODERATOR REVIEW CORPS
658 reviewer rep
2,148 forum posts

I find, at least to my taste buds, when I have a mix of stuff- chocolate, dried friuts, various nuts, cheerios, etc- that each ingredient picks up the flavors of the others in a way that I find distastful.

Melting is also a problem with chocolate, and another reason i keep things seperate.

6:02 p.m. on July 1, 2010 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
263 forum posts

I bought a dehydrator a few years ago and have gotten to know her really well.

I like fruit a ton so dry quite a variety as well as making fruit leather out of berries

Make my own jerky and prefer it to what I can buy.

I also like raw nuts.

Too, I make some "everything but the kitchen sink" muffins which are a lot of work to make but pack a bunch of calories and keep well if it is not too hot.

For something salty besides the jerky I will bake up a huge batch of chex mix and freeze it.

Not a big fan of tuna but love smoked salmon so will lunch on that and crackers and maybe some hard cheese.

6:28 p.m. on July 1, 2010 (EDT)
141 reviewer rep
218 forum posts

I find, at least to my taste buds, when I have a mix of stuff- chocolate, dried friuts, various nuts, cheerios, etc- that each ingredient picks up the flavors of the others in a way that I find distastful.

Melting is also a problem with chocolate, and another reason i keep things seperate.

Just wondered. I havent precieved that as a problem before, but then again I dont rightly know that I have paid attention to it.

7:10 p.m. on July 2, 2010 (EDT)
TOP 10 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
2,329 reviewer rep
5,288 forum posts

My favorite trail snack is berries right off the bush. I have enjoyed wild blueberries, wild raspberries (red and black), wild blackberries, and others in New England (especially on Mt Desert Island), wild blackberries here in California, wild strawberries in many places, wild huckleberries along the trails on Mt Baker in Washington State (my companions, locals in the area, dragged me away, reminding me that that is grizzly territory, and the griz love huckleberries, too), wild boysenberries near my Pennsylvania relatives' places, and a variety of wild berries in the European Alps.

11:42 p.m. on July 2, 2010 (EDT)
MODERATOR REVIEW CORPS
658 reviewer rep
2,148 forum posts

I'll second that, Bill. Fresh wild berries simply can't be beat.

5:22 p.m. on July 14, 2010 (EDT)
17 reviewer rep
5 forum posts

I like canned baby clamms and cashews. Trail mix is good too.

9:36 p.m. on July 14, 2010 (EDT)
102 reviewer rep
2,285 forum posts

Sliced Gallo salami (a brand from San Francisco) with extra sharp cheddar cheese, on a good plain bagel. Yum. While on the move I will pop hard candies to get me over the hill.
Ed

10:47 p.m. on July 14, 2010 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
263 forum posts

Sliced Gallo salami (a brand from San Francisco) with extra sharp cheddar cheese, on a good plain bagel. Yum. While on the move I will pop hard candies to get me over the hill.
Ed

Oh my.............! Hope you do not have tent mates!

8:32 p.m. on July 16, 2010 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
34 forum posts

Dried fruit and pretzels for me, but generally only when I'm trying to move quickly. In that case I try to snack every half hour or so and take a swig of water along with it. Oh, I've eaten fat-free fig newtons as well (because of the calorie density) but they crush in my pocket.

Otherwise I'll wait until lunch, which historically has been instant mashed potatoes, often with cayenne pepper powder ;-)

I avoid fatty foods because I have enough fat on my body which I'd like to help mobilize any way I can.

9:40 p.m. on July 16, 2010 (EDT)
10 reviewer rep
38 forum posts

Dehydrated Apples, cheese sticks (cold weather), peanuts (chocolate covered sometimes), M&M's, anything with Reeses on it, Teryaki Beek Jerky from Jack Links, etc etc etc... And if on the crazy side - Teryaki beef jerky with Kit-Kat in the same bite. That will wake you up!

10:22 a.m. on July 18, 2010 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
148 forum posts

Tend to carry peanuts, jerky, raisins and stuff like that to snack on. But let's get real here. In the winter there's nothing quite like a Snickers bar. :-)

4:06 p.m. on July 21, 2010 (EDT)
120 reviewer rep
137 forum posts

Nothing beats fresh berries. A close second would be Mareblu's Naturals Blueberry Pomegranate Trail Mix Crunch. Yes, it is as amazing as it sounds. It is also gluten-free, which is a necessary precaution I must take with any food item.

12:20 p.m. on July 25, 2010 (EDT)
75 reviewer rep
306 forum posts

When we go on dayhikes, we like to take a garlic flavored summer sausage, water crackers and then some sort of cheese (depends on what we are in the mood for and what we see at the store). We make little sandwiches (cracker, sausage, cheese on top. I think so far our favorite cheese has been the smoked cheddar.

Nothing beats the good old beef jerky though! High in protein and low in cooking time!

4:42 p.m. on August 7, 2010 (EDT)
3 reviewer rep
11 forum posts

I take along nature valllys honey and oats. also crackers, cheese and sardines. Beef jerky as well.

6:38 a.m. on September 9, 2010 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
2 forum posts

Dark chocolate and cashews by day. Crackers and Promite by night. With some red wine to wash it down. Civilised, huh? :)

1:03 p.m. on September 9, 2010 (EDT)
36 reviewer rep
148 forum posts

I always take a tin of smoked oysters. I learned that from Colin Fletcher. But for long term snacking I love raisins and all things chocolate.

11:56 a.m. on September 12, 2010 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
67 forum posts

It depends on my mood but often it is Lindt Dark Chili Pepper Chocolate with a handful of almonds.

10:34 p.m. on September 13, 2010 (EDT)
23 reviewer rep
7 forum posts

I like stuff with high energy and not too dry most of the time. One of my favorite is gummy energy snacks, trail mix with fruit, but some times corn nuts.

12:18 p.m. on September 14, 2010 (EDT)
25 reviewer rep
67 forum posts

Go ahead and laugh but Milk Bone cheese biscuits for large breads with some and peanut butter in a squeeze tube, also some oats and honey bars and a can of smoked kippers and maybe a can of oysters I find it a quick crunchy snack that fills me up quick and Katie my German Sheppard loves it also, but those are the things I like to keep close at hand for trail snacking while on the move. If I stop along the trail for a snack it a different ball game RR

September 3, 2014
Quick Reply