About | Blog | Forums | People | Free Newsletter
Trailspace is a product review site for outdoor enthusiasts. Use it to find and share great gear.

Coghlans stove

8:30 p.m. on July 5, 2010 (EDT)
2 reviewer rep
140 forum posts

I was looking at this stove, has anyone used one? Coghlans folding stove~around $9.

8:46 p.m. on July 5, 2010 (EDT)
TOP 10 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
2,219 reviewer rep
5,181 forum posts

I have one (actually one that is identical, but without the Coghlan label on it). It is a regular old Sterno stove that has been around for about a century (literally). They go under a variety of names, including generically "canned heat". The military used them in WWII. Sterno is jellied alcohol.

They are ok for emergencies, but are heavier than the Coke can stoves that use liquid alcohol. If you are looking for ultralite, make yourself a Coke can stove. But remember that alcohol, whether in liquid or jellied form, has about half the heat content per ounce as white gas or compressed gas. It takes a lot longer to boil water or melt snow. They work pretty well for keeping a fondue hot, though, if you do the melting of the cheese or chocolate over a regular stove first.

$9 is a high price for these stoves.

10:46 p.m. on July 5, 2010 (EDT)
2 reviewer rep
140 forum posts

I was thinking that you could burn wood in one of these. Is that possible? Thanks, Mike

7:26 p.m. on July 8, 2010 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
263 forum posts

Mike make yourself a pop can, pressurized Alcohol stove.

4:44 p.m. on July 12, 2010 (EDT)
MODERATOR REVIEW CORPS
643 reviewer rep
2,137 forum posts

Mike, I will throw in my very enthusiastic vote for the soda-pop/beer can pressurized stoves as well. I have just finished doing a bunch of experimenting and testing with different types over the past couple months.

I will be making a post soon showing the presurized alcohol stoves that I have made. I have now refined mine to boil a full quart of water in 7minutes, and burn for a full hour on 3.5oz of alcohol.

1:19 a.m. on July 14, 2010 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
34 forum posts

I've boiled water with Sterno before and it is no fun. (This wasn't in a stove, just a pot suspended over a Sterno can on tent stakes, with a windscreen around the contraption.) It did eventually boil, but I'd guess it took about 1/2 an hour.

Esbit also sucks IMO, but YMMV as some people like it.

Currently I use the "SuperCat" alcohol stove which I made for less than $3 (for a paper-type hole punch and a small can of Fancy Feast) and boils relatively quickly, but I haven't actually timed it. It's not the pressurized type that needs priming, but it is not just an alcohol flame in fiberglass either. And it is the easiest DIY project in the world. Check out http://zenstoves.net/LinksGeneral-DIY.htm and make your own pop or cat food stove.

--Peter

9:13 p.m. on July 15, 2010 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
1 forum posts

I have one. I found it at Dick's Sporting Good years ago.

I don't use Sterno in it though, I use it as a windscreen and use my alcohol stove. Between that and my Jetboil there is nothing else needed.

2:07 p.m. on August 12, 2010 (EDT)
155 reviewer rep
99 forum posts

I've had one (several) for the last 25 years. I NEVER go camping without it. It fits into any pocket, can be dropped into a puddle of mud and will still work, and YES it works VERY well with twigs. I use one pellet to get things going. (A single pellet will last 8 or 9 minutes) and all ya do is add the twigs to get whatever size flame you need. It's an excellent stove. One of my favorites actually. It's fairly light, it's fuel is waterPROOF, it can burn twigs and pine cones if needed, and it's exceptionally sturdy. It get my two thumbs up.

Peace!

April 17, 2014
Quick Reply