On the lighter side.

3:45 p.m. on July 12, 2010 (EDT)
344 reviewer rep
1,124 forum posts

Dear Jiffy Pop Popcorn;

I have been a fan of yours for nearly 50 years. I recently saw your product again on the self of a local store. I had to buy it! I meen realy, with "As much fun to make as it is to eat" who could resist. We took it out camping with us to pop over the open fire. Instructions says 4-5 minutes to pop. Well this proved to be alittle off. After 30 minutes and and burnt forearm hair, and burn blisters from the wire handle, we heard the first pop. You can imagine the joy in my little girls eyes! As she is 30 years old, and it is the first time your popcorn ever poped. Soon the foil top was expanding! The smiles of anticipation around the campfire was a memory I will never forget! We took the popcorn off the fire before it stoped poping. And ate everybit of it. Minus the burns and scorched hair your product was more true to form than at any other time we atempted it before. What a great idea!

Yours truly,

Mike Morrow

7:19 p.m. on July 12, 2010 (EDT)
TRAILSPACE STAFF
685 reviewer rep
3,104 forum posts

You know what I find odd? I've never, ever had Jiffy Pop. I like popcorn and I always wanted to try Jiffy Pop as a kid, because it looked so exciting in the grocery store.

I'd forgotten all about it. Maybe I've been missing out for years...

11:25 p.m. on July 12, 2010 (EDT)
REVIEW CORPS
563 reviewer rep
286 forum posts

I had some popped over a campfire a few months ago. It does take longer than popping it at home. Sure wish someone would make a backpackable microwave oven. It's SO much easier to make popcorn in a microwave! :-)

2:55 p.m. on July 13, 2010 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
1,082 forum posts

Don't ever stop moving the Jiffy Pop pan or you will have burnt popcorn. My experience is it works 50% of the time mainly because people are in too much of a hurry.

7:21 p.m. on July 13, 2010 (EDT)
210 reviewer rep
4,219 forum posts

Actually an easy way to pop popcorn over the fire is to use a brownpaper sack. Put the pocorn in the sack, pour in some cooking oil and close the bag, leaving plenty of air space inside. Now hold the bag over the campfire's coal, but not too close or of course it will catch fire. Shake the bag as you move it over the coals. Experience with this method will teach you how to do it right.

October 24, 2014
Quick Reply