About | Blog | Forums | People | Free Newsletter
Trailspace is a product review site for outdoor enthusiasts. Use it to find and share great gear.

Hemp Anyone?

9:45 p.m. on August 8, 2010 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
14 forum posts

I have been eating hemp for just over a year now and I love it. I have read that 1lb of the stuff can give a healthy person enough protein to last two weeks. It is also high in iron and has the perfect 1:3 ration of omega-3's and omega-6s. Even more it tastes good. I usually just add some to my oatmeal in the morning and I have noticed that when I add it in the morning I can go a lot longer without needing to eat.

With it being so light, high calories and health benefits it seems like the perfect thing to bring in a backcountry camping trip. So i am just curious on if there is others like me who bring it on their journeys?

10:20 a.m. on August 9, 2010 (EDT)
21 reviewer rep
148 forum posts

Are you eating the seeds or rope or dope or where do you get it?

5:17 p.m. on August 9, 2010 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
14 forum posts

I eat the seeds, so far I have only tried the hulled seeds. Hemp is also a different type of canibus then marijuana that Has below 0.3% THC. I get it From Bulk Barn in Canada. You can also get it at Health food stores. I forgot to mention its also a complete protein.

5:38 p.m. on August 9, 2010 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
415 forum posts

One Canadian hemp company said it could not guarantee that you could pass a a drug test after eating their products. Said the likelihood of failure was very low but worth considering if your profession were on the line.

6:18 p.m. on August 9, 2010 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
14 forum posts

Yes, I have also read that. Another reason that they can't guarantee it is because the company has no way of knowing if the customer is consuming THC from another source. But even though it is highly unlikely to fail the test I guess it is still possible. Personally its not something that I would worry about.

9:07 p.m. on August 9, 2010 (EDT)
200 reviewer rep
3,917 forum posts

No thanks, can't pass a piss test at a new job, then not for me. Like too many poppy seed muffins!

11:44 p.m. on August 9, 2010 (EDT)
14 reviewer rep
318 forum posts

I use some hemp oil as a salad dressing. It's pretty good and tastes nutty. I don't see what the fuss is about hemp. You could pay your taxes with it for 200+ years in the United States. I firmly believe if hemp were legal we wouldn't be send our futures overseas. It is all natural.

The funny thing about drug testing is it actually encourages people to use other worse drugs because they exit your system faster.

4:26 p.m. on August 10, 2010 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
14 forum posts

I have also had the hemp oil as a salad dressing. It goes really well with olive oil and balsamic vinegar. I don't find it too expensive here. Its about 14 bucks for a pound which lasts me a while seeing as I only have a couple Tbs daily. The big fuss for me is all the nutritional values it holds and it being a complete protein that has great absorption.

Also since when was hemp illegal??

And that is a good point about drug testing. Now if you did fail the test would you have the option to explain your self?

7:33 p.m. on August 10, 2010 (EDT)
14 reviewer rep
318 forum posts

The funny thing in the U.S. hemp is legal. You cannot grow it by federal fiat because you "might grow pot." You need a permit to grow it which they never give out.

The way things are going you will need a permit to cross the street soon.

All I can say is support Ron Paul's bill H.R.1866

There is a difference between hemp and pot and the rest of the world is making a killing selling us stuff we could make at home.

There are people in Europe that have built factory's out of hemp. That is why it's banned in the U.S.

Here is a link...

8:08 p.m. on August 10, 2010 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
14 forum posts

That is a really cool video, thanks for showing it. Now it seems that in Canada we can grow it for industrial use but just by quickly searching the internet I can't find if its the same for personal use. I think it would be kinda cool to try and make clothing or a cheaper way of getting hemp seeds.

3:42 p.m. on August 12, 2010 (EDT)
14 reviewer rep
318 forum posts

I am banned from growing it in the U.S. I have been looking into going to Canada or Australia and getting some land. It would be only one of many crops you can grow but you should be able to run everything off bio-diesel. That includes cars, tractors, generators. That uses up the seeds. I would use the core to build my house and workshops. All you need is water, lime and the hemp core. You will have enough material left over for weaving, cardboard, and a laundry list of other products. The fact that it petrifies solid with water and lime makes it a miraculous plant.

How can a banker enslave you into a mortgage for thirty years if you can build a house in a single season? Make hemp illegal, that is how.

4:17 p.m. on August 13, 2010 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
14 forum posts

Haha yeah it determinately sounds like a good business to get into. Ill look more into it and see where it takes me. It could be a good summer job when i am in school. Its sweet how the hempcrete is 7 times as strong, half as light and 3 times as flexible as regular concrete making it great against earthquakes and natural disasters. And its only ten percent more.

9:15 p.m. on August 15, 2010 (EDT)
REVIEW CORPS
1,040 reviewer rep
1,005 forum posts

That was a very informative video, DrReaper--thanks for posting it. It's interesting to turn the sound off, and try to make sense of whats going on using the closed captioning alone...

I'm going down to the co-op to scope out some hemp seed oil...

11:59 a.m. on August 16, 2010 (EDT)
MODERATOR TOP 25 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
884 reviewer rep
3,432 forum posts

I have been in the building industry for 25 yrs, and for the past 5 I have worked on a number of green homes, and I have had direct contact with a number of innovative products and methods.

I will admit that using hemp as a building material is very intriguing, however I would like to know how it's strength against concrete was measured. There are many strength factors, types of stresses, and ways to measure building products, and I see these facts batted about all the time. In most cases they are expressed in a manner helpful to the entity espousing them. (In other words they leave facts out)

At one time the recycled product of the future was fiber board, touted as being environmentally sound, long lasting, cheaper, etc. Now builders are being sued for it's exterior use, and home owners are having to replace the product out of pocket. It does quite well in dry interior installations however. I've seen the same thing with a number of other manufactured building products.

Another product I have installed is TREX which is a composite board made from recycled wood and plastic. There are also other brands of very similar composition & characteristics. It is advertised as being impervious to rot, long lasting, low maintenance, etc. They seemingly forget to mention it breaks down when exposed to UV rays, and I have seen this firsthand. The product is used for decking and hand rail material on backyard decks, among other things like play ground materials. This product costs twice as much as pressure treated wood, and I'm not convinced it will last twice as long. I think it does have potential with some improvements, and the right application.

So..not trying to be a downer on hemp, just get ALL the facts. As I'm sure you guys know, the facts provided by those with a vested interest are often incomplete.

There are a lot of green building materials and methods that I am interested in, and that I think have great merit. I especially like the 'earthy' ones such as adobe, stone, brick, straw, sustainable wood, and various metals. Maybe hemp will prove to be a great affordable and sustainable product beyond what it is already being used for.

I already use it as a biodegradable rope, and a co-worker of mine has pants made from it.

4:08 p.m. on August 16, 2010 (EDT)
14 reviewer rep
318 forum posts

Here you go trouthunter

I would like to see hemp legal so people could grow and use it for construction. I will be building with Earthbag as it is the only affordable way to construct anything these days.

4:56 p.m. on August 16, 2010 (EDT)
MODERATOR TOP 25 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
884 reviewer rep
3,432 forum posts

Thanks for the videos.

I did some quick research and it seems that while the hempcrete is both structural & a good insulator, it does not possess enough structural strength to support a building. This is why in the videos I watched they are using the hempcrete as a monolithic non load bearing wall system.

The actual building structure is either stick frame or timber frame, in some of the articles I read they are using a concrete column frame. Very interesting though, and I will do some more reading.

Edit: This just based on what I have read or watched so far.

12:31 a.m. on August 28, 2010 (EDT)
14 reviewer rep
318 forum posts

Looks like a company in Canada is going to re release the Henry Ford hemp car he made in 1941 next month.If you don't know what it is... it's a car made of hemp.

Of course there will be no mention the invention was original in 1941. It also came with a hemp still to make its own fuel.

11:28 a.m. on September 10, 2010 (EDT)
TOP 10 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
2,679 reviewer rep
1,137 forum posts

If enough research goes into most plants we will find millions of industrial uses for it. In the end though will it actually ever be used for all of those uses? It reminds me of when I was a kid in school reading about George Washington Carver and the peanut. It turns out you can use peanuts for everything too. Peanuts are every bit as usefull as hemp, maybe more. Do we use it for everything it CAN be used for though? Of course not. I haven't seen any peanut toothpaste lately and I predict that if hemp was re-legalized it wouldn't be either. Hemp grows wild as a weed in several places in the US such as near Columbus Nebraska where it goes unused.
I still question the motives of some hemp proponents.

5:38 p.m. on September 10, 2010 (EDT)
14 reviewer rep
318 forum posts

I still question the motives of people that don't want freedom in industry. If pot is the bathwater then industrial hemp is the baby. I don't see how you get over the fact we can drive our cars around on hemp bio-fuel and stop polluting the planet. You do know hemp is excluded from EVERY bio-fuel study before it starts.

11:22 p.m. on September 15, 2010 (EDT)
14 reviewer rep
318 forum posts
5:43 a.m. on September 16, 2010 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
67 forum posts

Hemp hearts are extremely nutritious and a good addition to granola bars, salads, stir fries and such. Hemp butter can be used in some recipes to replace peanut butter. You can also buy hemp protein powder.

I use the products from http://www.manitobaharvest.com/

April 16, 2014
Quick Reply