Sourerkraut

11:23 p.m. on October 1, 2010 (EDT)
200 reviewer rep
4,154 forum posts

Anyone have a recipe for Sourerkraut? I have 3 big heads of cabbage, from the food bank.

9:36 a.m. on October 2, 2010 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
67 forum posts

I don't but you can dehydrate it for coleslaw... I can post a recipe if you like.

11:56 a.m. on October 2, 2010 (EDT)
200 reviewer rep
4,154 forum posts

Dehydrate the cabbage? I have been a cook for almost 40 years but have never made Saurerkraut

11:37 a.m. on October 3, 2010 (EDT)
5 reviewer rep
39 forum posts

In a nutshell, you would cut the cabbage in small slivers, and press the cabbage with some salt to help release it's natural juices.. continue until jar is filled, and cover with a salt-water brine.

1:25 p.m. on October 4, 2010 (EDT)
25 reviewer rep
67 forum posts

Gary I have a recipe at my food blog if you cannot access just let me know and I will just post it here for you RR

http://www.grouprecipes.com/121400/sauerkraut-in-a-1-qt-mason-jar.html

9:18 a.m. on October 19, 2010 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
4 forum posts

I make kraut every year.  Shred your cabbage,  To each 5 lbs. of shredded cabbage mix 3 tablespoons salt.  Mix it well.   The ratio is important.  Put in a crock or food safe plastic 5 gallon bucket.  press down firmly.  Put a dinner plate on top and weight with a gallon milk jug full of water.  I usually put a white trash sack loosely draped over the bucket and then put the plate and weight so that I can bungee the sack around the bucket to keep dust out!  The ideal temp for curing is 70 degree F, but it will cure over a fairly large range as long as it doesn't get too cold (or hot).  Usually takes a couple of months to cure.  Check every week or so to make sure the brine is covering the kraut.  If not, it will spoil so you would need to add some brine.  You will know it is ready by tasting it.  Spoon into quart ziploc bags, press flat, and freeze.  When I use it, I usually simmer it covered with water for a couple of hours.  Had some last night -- great!

September 21, 2014
Quick Reply