Heat reflector setup?

8:10 a.m. on October 13, 2010 (EDT)
TOP 25 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
773 reviewer rep
680 forum posts

Here's a nice gear-tech question for all the experts out there.

I was just browsing through some recent photos here and came across a series of Trout's photos showing MSR stoves in action. I noticed that in all of that them round heat reflector is placed on the ground underneath the stove legs. But with my Whisperlites I have always put the stove legs through the hole in the middle so that the reflector is directly under the burner, with the thought that it can more efficiently reflect heat up on to the bottom of the pot. But it also gets sooty from priming the stove an more generally bent and torn over the years from all the handling.

I googled around and most of the pics I found are from vendor's webs sites showing the stoves without the heat reflector at all, but then I finally found this photo of a primus stove with a similar reflector right here on Trailspace:

http://www.trailspace.com/gear/primus/windscreen-and-heat-reflector/

This indicates that somebody else out there does it my way. But anyway, have I had it wrong all these years? Does it really make any difference where the reflector goes?

1:40 p.m. on October 13, 2010 (EDT)
TOP 10 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
2,430 reviewer rep
5,314 forum posts

It has been quite a while since I used my Whisperlite. But my recollection is that the instructions (yes, I have actually looked at instruction sheets and books on rare occasions) say place it as the diagram shows. And that is the way I recall always using it. My MSR SuperFly's disc reflector has to be placed there - no other way to do it with a hanging stove. My MSR Simmerlite, on the other hand, has a "solid" disc, so has to sit on the disc reflector on the ground/table/surface.

That didn't help, did it?

2:20 p.m. on October 13, 2010 (EDT)
TOP 25 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
773 reviewer rep
680 forum posts

It did, actually, because I have never heard of the "solid" variant, so that's new info. And I suppose to see if it makes any difference where it goes I would have to do my own boil tests. Back off, I'm a scientist!

3:45 p.m. on October 13, 2010 (EDT)
MODERATOR REVIEW CORPS
658 reviewer rep
2,149 forum posts

I think the stove you saw of Trout's is made by Primus.

Having that "doughnut" shaped disc, with a hole in the middle, would make a lot more sense. If I am not mistaken, the disc that came with Trout's stove was a solid disc, without a hole, making the ground the only option. I think the instructions said to use it that way as well. In his later photos he seems to have substituted one with a hole, made by MSR perhaps? I seem to remember that the one that came with it broke along the fold lines.

6:11 p.m. on October 13, 2010 (EDT)
MODERATOR REVIEW CORPS
998 reviewer rep
3,497 forum posts

Big Red, I do the same thing, and have always considered it the correct way.

The MSR Whisperlite I have has a disc with a hole in the middle, the directions say to slip it around the legs before opening the legs. This allows the disc to be installed roughly midway between the ground and the burner, which I have always thought was more efficient than placing the disc on the ground.

The Primus stove I've been using came with a solid disc to be placed on the ground under the stove, which did end up splitting along the fold lines. I then got a disc with a hole in the middle, but the hole is not large enough in diameter to allow installation up on the legs like the Whisperlite.

6:58 p.m. on October 13, 2010 (EDT)
75 reviewer rep
306 forum posts

I feel like I missed out on something from MSR, I remember getting a wind-shield, but I never got (or at least can't find) a reflector for my Whisperlite as described above...I will double check but I found this odd.

October 25, 2014
Quick Reply