Squirrel and dumplings

6:29 p.m. on January 9, 2011 (EST)
2 reviewer rep
140 forum posts

I made four squirrels and my wife made the dumplings. My two grandsons could not get enough. It was really good.

7:30 p.m. on January 9, 2011 (EST)
210 reviewer rep
4,302 forum posts
Re: Squirell and dumplings

Made 4 Squirrels? You mean shot or do you raise them?

9:36 a.m. on January 10, 2011 (EST)
2 reviewer rep
140 forum posts

Gary, I hunt them, so far this year I have shot 14. The season ends on March 1, so I have plenty of time to get more. I got a small one yesterday, and for those who have never hunted squirrel. It is not as easy as you might think. I sat in one spot with very little movement for 3 hours and it was cold, before I finally got a clean shot. I use a .22 Cal Ruger 10/22T rifle with a scope. Squirrel are very cautious and cunning animals, if you click the safety off too loud they will take off. Hunting and fishing has always been a way of life for me, and I love it.

11:02 a.m. on January 10, 2011 (EST)
171 reviewer rep
223 forum posts

I didn't know you could hunt or even less eat squirrels. Dont they carry all sort of bacteria and stuff? I'll make sure to check out the regulation out here before I start racking up the rodents.

11:16 a.m. on January 10, 2011 (EST)
210 reviewer rep
4,302 forum posts

So is there no limit during the season? We used to hunt them in Arkansas back in he early 70s, but I don't remember anything about it. Once I do remember shooting a squirrel and having a hawk swoop down and pick it up after I killed it, we chased the bird down a road in the truck till it finally dropped it. Guess the hawk must have been hunting it at the same time I was. That was about 1972 when I was 16, in southern Arkansas near Texarkana.

1:21 p.m. on January 10, 2011 (EST)
110 reviewer rep
762 forum posts

I made four squirrels and my wife made the dumplings. My two grandsons could not get enough. It was really good.

A post like this in the "Camp Kitchen" section warrants a recipe!  What do you think, members?

1:28 p.m. on January 10, 2011 (EST)
87 reviewer rep
1,089 forum posts

To be honest I would be interested to see how its made,,, Yeah where's your recipe Mike?

6:02 p.m. on January 10, 2011 (EST)
MODERATOR REVIEW CORPS
998 reviewer rep
3,506 forum posts

I would like a recipe too.

I have eaten squirrel in chili before at a chili cook-off, but you can't tell what it's like that way really.

Chicken & dumplings are one of my favorite cold weather foods.

12:38 p.m. on January 13, 2011 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
50 forum posts

Grey squirrel, roasted over an open fire, sprinkle nice spices, and . . . . um um um GOOD!

12:02 a.m. on January 14, 2011 (EST)
REVIEW CORPS
573 reviewer rep
286 forum posts

I've eaten hundreds of grey squirrels.  Well, maybe just a hundred.  Hunting them is one of the things I miss about the east coast.

2:36 a.m. on January 15, 2011 (EST)
12 reviewer rep
207 forum posts

Whenever I think about squirrel and biscuits W/gravy I think about my mom, now that is a feast for sure. I could sit and eat her squirrel gravy and biscuits until I'm sick.

I have not done any squirrel hunting in a long time but I love it. It dose'nt matter if your stalking or still hunting it is almost just like deer hunting.

Louis-Alexis, ground squirrels are like you mention, foul, discusting animals considered as varmits as far as must hunters are concerned that I would never eat. Tree squirrels on the other hand are considered game animals and fine for eating. Here in california that means Grey Squirrels and they are highly regulated with bag limits and seasons. You have to read the regs carefully to know where and when you can hunt them.

9:32 a.m. on January 15, 2011 (EST)
2 reviewer rep
140 forum posts

Gary I love the picture of the Golden Trout, I never have nor never will catch one. My dream trip would be to Yellowstone.

November 28, 2014
Quick Reply