Squirrel and gravy

6:29 p.m. on January 10, 2011 (EST)
2 reviewer rep
140 forum posts

Quarter the meat, I usually cut the back in half right at the rib cage to, I don't like to waste food. In a large iron skillet heat up some oil and drop in the meat. As soon as it gets brown turn down the heat and add some water and or beer. You have to simmer the meat under a lid for a long time to get it tender. Keep adding liquid as it cooks off. Salt, pepper to taste. After the meat starts to come off the bone, remove the skillet. Take the meat and debone it. Put the skillet back on low heat, add some more water, some milk and stir in flower slowely. Keep adding flower until it begins to thicken. Now put the meat back in and continue to cook over low heat. You must keep up the stirring to avoid lumps in the gravy. This will take another 15 minutes. Make your biscuts, I use store bought, my wife makes her own. While the biscuts are hot pour the meat and gravy over them. If you want dumplings, you mix water and flower until you can make a little doughball. You drop those into the gravy. Do not over cook the dumpling. I can usually eat two squirrels myself, and it is good eat'n.

6:36 p.m. on January 10, 2011 (EST)
173 reviewer rep
100 forum posts

Sounds really good! I have been cooking some rabbit like that lately.

The meat is so rich (squirrels/rabbits) that a little bit is all you need IMO.

About 3 weeks ago, we had quail and rabbit with homemade coleslaw, and garden picked veggies. Us hunters/fishers sure do eat like kings, fresh healthy meat and veggies, not store bought chemical laden crap.

8:38 p.m. on January 10, 2011 (EST)
2 reviewer rep
140 forum posts

Thanks Android, the thing is that the time may come when you will have to hunt and fish, food prices are just do damm high. Your homemade coleslaw sounds good. I have not had any rabbit for 30 years at least. I have only seen two since I moved down here in SC. Growing veggies is a lost cause here because their are so many bugs, I have been able to get some tomatoes. If I can keep the tobacco worms off them.

11:22 p.m. on January 10, 2011 (EST)
87 reviewer rep
1,061 forum posts

That does sound really good.. I think useing Rabbit would be great and add a little red wine even better in the gravy Mike. But it is making my mouth water...;-)

11:53 a.m. on January 11, 2011 (EST)
REVIEW CORPS
1,699 reviewer rep
1,307 forum posts

Mike, I grew up in MS where bugs eat crops by the acre. The best, easiest, and most cost effective way to keep insects and animals alike out and off our crops is to make the following solution.

A peppermint castile soap, such as Dr. Bronners

Cayene pepper

garlic gloves

Take 1L of water, and add 2 cloves garlic, 1/4 tsp cayene, and about 1/2 tsp of the soap and combinbe in a heavy duty spray bottle, the kind found at home depot etc not the ones from a grocery store.

Let the solution sit in the bottle for 2 or 3 days before use for the best results.

Spray your plants, and be sure to rub it onto the bottoms of the leaves as well.  Also lightly spray the soil in the immediate area of the plants, and around the perimeter of the bed/row for best results. This is best done late in the afternoon or very early morning before or after the sun has pretty much set. Reapply every 2-3 weeks. Or as needed after heavy rains etc.

This is an all natural pesticide/ animal repllent that works wonders. It will kill ANY insect, so be careful not to spray it directly on any spiders, lady bugs, or wasps or other beneficial insects.

The spray can be too strong for seedlings/plants under a month or so in age. So test on 1 leaf first and check the next day for burning. You can use just the soap and water for a gentler but still very effective spray.

The cayene and peppermint smells keep almost all animals away. Soap , and garlic will kill any insect , and most almost instantly.

Ground coffee(used gorunds are ok) is also useful  to scatter around the area if there is a big issue with rabbits or squirells, this wont hurt the plants.

Good luck with growing your crops! And this will give you wonderful,pesticide and insecticide free plants. These can be used on regular plants also, I use the spray on my roses to keep pests off.

3:36 p.m. on January 15, 2011 (EST)
REVIEW CORPS
1,195 reviewer rep
1,064 forum posts

Good tips Rambler!!

August 21, 2014
Quick Reply