Hobo burgers

10:23 p.m. on February 15, 2011 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
1 forum posts

When I was in boy scouts, we used to make hobo burgers (named such because of the lack of bread). Now these are a little luxurious for a day trip, if you plan on camping for a few days these are great and nice during cold days. so you need 2 hamburger patties, I usually use deer meet, potatoes, carrots, and butter with spices. To cook all u need is aluminum foil and hot coals. First you butter your foil peices making sure not to be stingy, then u add sliced or dived potatoes and carrots. Covet with a meet patty of choice, then more veggies then more beef then more veggies. Make sure you add in ur spices in each layer. You then close your foil and for the kids, you can have them make cool shapes to distinguish the different types. Of course u can add whatever you want like onions etc. Then set them in a nice bed of coals and let cook for about an hour. Make sure you flip them over. We usually had the burgers a little rare because they take longer then we could wait as hunger teenage boys. I make these sometimes out back of my house in my cooking pit just ti bring back those awesome memories.

Enjoy!

7:52 p.m. on February 18, 2011 (EST)
MODERATOR REVIEW CORPS
968 reviewer rep
3,470 forum posts

I've had these before, very good too!

I believe they were just called Hobo's by the guy that made them, but that doesn't matter to me, when I'm hungry I'm eating no matter what the name.

Thanks for sharing.

10:57 p.m. on February 18, 2011 (EST)
REVIEW CORPS
1,195 reviewer rep
1,063 forum posts

Welcome to Trailspace Rocky D!

I know these as "Silver Treasures"...and treasures they certainly are. We used to build them like a stew/burger combination back in my scouting days...big chunks of onion, tomato, potato, with a big squirt of ketchup. Ketchup from a bottle and not squeeze packs!! (that Patrol Box weighed 150lbs, easily) The only thing better at hitting that same spot that a Silver Treasure does is a Pasty. God I wish I knew a recipe for a camp Pasty. Probably have to pack in the dough premade...

3:20 p.m. on February 19, 2011 (EST)
75 reviewer rep
306 forum posts

I have had something very similar; instead of using an actual hamburger patty, I had seen just a handful of ground beef used, with onions, carrots, celery, and potatoes....heard it called the"hobo dinner"...with just a bit of salt and pepper, they are remarkably tasty.

3:52 p.m. on February 19, 2011 (EST)
MODERATOR REVIEW CORPS
968 reviewer rep
3,470 forum posts

I know these as "Silver Treasures"...and treasures they certainly are. We used to build them like a stew/burger combination back in my scouting days...big chunks of onion, tomato, potato, with a big squirt of ketchup. Ketchup from a bottle and not squeeze packs!! (that Patrol Box weighed 150lbs, easily) The only thing better at hitting that same spot that a Silver Treasure does is a Pasty. God I wish I knew a recipe for a camp Pasty. Probably have to pack in the dough premade...

oooh....what's a pasty?

1:32 p.m. on February 22, 2011 (EST)
120 reviewer rep
137 forum posts

oooh....what's a pasty?

A pasty is basically a pie "pocket" filled with meat, potatoes, onions, and may contain various other veggies, depending on who is making them.  They are huge in the Upper Peninsula of Michigan, and you see them more and more the farther north you go in the Lower Peninsula.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pasty

5:27 p.m. on February 22, 2011 (EST)
120 reviewer rep
137 forum posts

Oh, and by the way: Pasties are serious business.  The European Commission (the executive body of the EU) just awarded the Cornish Pasty the distinction of being a "protected geographical indication", or PGI.  This means that only pasties baked in Cornwall that follow strict preparation standards are allowed to call themselves as such.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/lifeandstyle/2011/feb/22/cornish-pasty-earns-protected-food-status

6:57 p.m. on February 22, 2011 (EST)
MODERATOR REVIEW CORPS
968 reviewer rep
3,470 forum posts

Thanks for the info .ghost, I.m going to have to try one or two.

July 26, 2014
Quick Reply