MYOG UL remote canister stove

9:16 p.m. on February 21, 2011 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
52 forum posts

Some Trailspace members have asked to see some of my MYOG stoves, this is one that I actually use.
IMG_3709.jpg

IMG_3711.jpg

This is a little remote canister stove that I designed and made and use for solo walking, as a remote canister stove it will works in temperatures down to -20C, I call this stove, Super Ultra Ultra Light stove (SUUL).

While I am not going to claim this is the world’s lightest remote canister backpacking stove, I am yet to see a lighter stove, especially a backpacking stove that is usable in the field.

When I first developed this stove, its weight was under 10 grams, but I had problems with the pot supports and fuel line and found that I had to beef up these parts to make the stove more reliable.

The stove is made from Aluminium, Titanium and a little bit of Stainless Steel, the total weight of the stove in its basic configuration is 16.8 grams (0.592oz) , in this configuration it uses the standard canisters, I have made an adaptor so I can also use Coleman Max canisters which then brings the weight up to 26.6 grams (0.938 oz). The pot supports are designed to fit under a JetBoil PCS pot.

IMG_3713.jpg

Attached to a  STD lindal valve canister

IMG_3715.jpg
Attached to a Coleman Max canister

I had my SUUL stove CO level tested and the results are very good and the CO levels are low enough that it is suitable to use inside a tent.                       

Avg CO ppm           

Start, low power                                    5.6           

Low/medium power                                4.8           

Medium power                                       5.9           

High power                                            10.4

very high power                                     14.4

Please note; I do not make this stove or any other of my stoves for sale, so please do not ask.

Tony
stoveworking.jpg

Another one of my designs, a low profile stove.

JBstove-75.jpg
A modified remote canister JetBoil stove.

Tony

9:34 p.m. on February 21, 2011 (EST)
87 reviewer rep
1,057 forum posts

Tony thats exceptional, the look and weight. Whats the boil time for 2 cups water? Thats just AWE!

3:36 a.m. on March 12, 2011 (EST)
81 reviewer rep
422 forum posts

Wow, a remote canister Jetboil running on Powermax.  Pretty cool stuff, Tony.

HJ

5:01 p.m. on March 15, 2011 (EDT)
TRAILSPACE STAFF
501 reviewer rep
2,996 forum posts

Very impressive.

5:58 p.m. on March 15, 2011 (EDT)
MODERATOR REVIEW CORPS
983 reviewer rep
3,470 forum posts

Wow, that is ultra light!

Thanks for posting.

3:47 p.m. on March 16, 2011 (EDT)
MODERATOR REVIEW CORPS
658 reviewer rep
2,148 forum posts

Really impressive work and design, Tony. Have you  considered or looked into patent and production?

6:06 a.m. on March 17, 2011 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
52 forum posts

Really impressive work and design, Tony. Have you  considered or looked into patent and production?

Thanks everyone for the comments, they are appreciated.

Hi Gozan,

I did spent some time looking into producing a stove for production, the costs in doing so where beyond my resources. To sell a camping stove in Australia, it has to be approved and that alone cost around A$10k, as for a Patent, last time I look into it, a world wide patent cost could cost up to $250k.

Tony

July 31, 2014
Quick Reply