Backpackers pantry resources for meals.

9:12 a.m. on March 6, 2011 (EST)
87 reviewer rep
1,067 forum posts

If your new to backpacking besides your gear. Food and water are another priority. For food many backpackers use Dehydrated meals or create their own..The inner trail chef come's out. After getting a request last week from a new hiker. I decided to create a resource template for anyone. I make my own meals besides supplementing a few with some I buy.. 

What I miss feel free to add on this thread because it helps the whole community that we are..

Dehydrated meals premade sites.

www.Moutainhousefoods.com

www.alpineair.com

www.backpackerspanrty.com

www.trailfoods.com

www.Naturalhigh.com

www.Maryjanesfarm.org

www.Packitgourmet.com

Dehydrated ingrediants such as gravy's, veggies, Fruits and beans and stocks.

www.harmoneyhousefoods.com

www.Frontiercoop.com

www.Savorychoice.com

www.tasteadventure.com soup and dehydrated beans.

www.justtomates.com

Condiments and One serving items

www.Minimus.biz

I also buy store bought items and break them down..Idaho potatoe's are an example as well  as stove top stuffing and Bear Creek soups.

Foil wrapped Chicken and Tuna and salmon are sold at every supermarket.Ramon, Pasta, Rice, Soup mix's.

If you want to really go out and become the trail chef. By a dehydrater and premake whatever dish you like at home and dehydrate it..

This just is to geive you some resources..

11:13 a.m. on March 6, 2011 (EST)
210 reviewer rep
4,226 forum posts

Boy looks like you were really active looking up all that information Denis.

I have never bought any of my trail foods from the freeze-dried companies. I do on occasion buy gravy and sauce mixes.

I buy from whatever local grocery stores. I eat lots of Macaroni and cheese,Top Ramen, Lipton Noodle and Lipton Rice dinner, instant milk (Milkman, Carnation),  I take either the new tuna in a pouch or the cheapest tuna in a can, canned sardines, crackers of many varieties and brands, block cheese (Cheddars,Jalapeno Jack) Quaker Instant Fruit and Cream oatmeal, and different varieties of instant coffee,cocoa and Gatorade drink mixes.

I repackage the meals from original boxes and other packaging into Ziploc bags. For like the Macaroni and cheese, I don't use the salt or oil for the cooking water in the field. If the directions are needed I cut it off the box and slip it into the main Ziploc.

Some items like crackers I double bag as the sharp edges can rip the inner bag.

I save an reuse my Ziploc bags many times. The alligator freezer bag will last longer, but cost more.I use larger gallon size Ziploc bags to put many individual meals of the same thing into, sometimes I separate my different meals into different colored stuff sacks. Yellow means breakfast,Red is Lunches and Blue- dinners.

I often will place food caches along areas previously before a long hike where possible. I label the cache with a contents list and place the current date on it. I have found that if I double bag (Ziploc) everything that if a cache is not used the foods will keep for a very long time without spoilage or going stale. I sometimes depending on water availablity also place water in gallon plastic jugs with each cache. Each cache is anywhere from one to two weeks worth of food. Generally just one week. Oh and each cache is a plastic 5 gallon Ex-mayonaise/pickle bucket which can be found at many restuarants for free for the asking.

Caches save me carrying all my supplies for multi-week hikes. I have done it in the Sierra Nevada,in Denali Park, and in the Grand Canyon.

11:59 a.m. on March 6, 2011 (EST)
87 reviewer rep
1,067 forum posts

I do some of the same things Gary. I take the directions if I need them and put it into the bag with the contents.. I do use packitgourmets gocery for dehydrated wine base and sausage and chalulu hot sauce..Minimus for alot of packets for different meals that I have added..But since you and Rambler were talking about dehydrateing I went out and baught one..For the price of a meal by a company..I can make 4 to take with me..I wanted to give new hikers somewhere to start because thats the hardest part.You just gave them alot of information that can help them..I found out from a long distance hiker. kale has alot of Vitamins and minerals.If you dehydrate it and throw it through a cuisinart and make a powder of it.Add 1Tblespoon to each dehydrated meal you make. It adds the vitamins and minerals you may be missing at times and you can't taste it in the food..I also wanted them to have some options if they chose not to purchase a dehydrater where they still could get get goods. I also go to Asian Markets buy things there or any ethnic grocer to get items..There's no bounds besides weight in backpacking food..

1:26 p.m. on March 6, 2011 (EST)
210 reviewer rep
4,226 forum posts

If you have a gas oven, one can use it with just the lowest setting or even just the pilot light to make a food dehydrator. Regular sheet pans can be used with paper towels to absorb moisture. Or make simple window screen and wood frame drying racks. Dehydrating this way is an experiment as one has to try small quantities to test how long it takes. I have dried everything from making my own raisens from grapes to drying meat into jerkylike strips and drying vegies. Friut leather is a little harder to make using a oven.

Be sure to place dried foods into sealed baggie,Ziplocs or seal-a-meal bags immediately to keep out unwanted moisture and prevent mold or mildew.

I often like to buy dried seaweed sheets and use them in the place of table salt.

I read somewhere about making a food dehydrator with a standard sqaure window fan and screen trays strapped or stacked on top with the fan between two chairs for air flow.

Drying outside is also possible with bug netting wrapped around screened trays.

7:49 p.m. on March 6, 2011 (EST)
37 reviewer rep
71 forum posts

Good links, thanks for posting!!!!

2:28 p.m. on March 7, 2011 (EST)
MODERATOR REVIEW CORPS
658 reviewer rep
2,149 forum posts

That is an awesome list of online food resources, thank you for posting it, Denis!

6:59 p.m. on March 7, 2011 (EST)
45 reviewer rep
28 forum posts

I've ordered from Minimus and they are very good. 

10:42 p.m. on March 7, 2011 (EST)
87 reviewer rep
1,067 forum posts

@kelly Yeah love Minimus. Buy what you need and save on the weight..

More Premade meals sites

www.trailfoodexpress.com

www.Outdoorherbivore.com vegetarian fare

www.hawkvittles.com

www.Wildernessdining.com

Import food items

www.Importfood.com  thai food items

Just trying to help my fellow backpackers..

10:31 p.m. on March 8, 2011 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
2 forum posts

www.expeditionfoods.com

These are freeze dried meals, not dehydrated, so they taste really good and retain their nutrients better. The meals pack lots of calories for little weight. You just pour hot water into the bag and let it rehydrate for 5min.

@garypalmer, I also like dried seaweed for something salty and very lightweight.

10:53 a.m. on March 11, 2011 (EST)
87 reviewer rep
1,067 forum posts

vegatarian and international mix's

www.Fantasticfoods.com

9:24 p.m. on March 16, 2011 (EDT)
30 reviewer rep
1 forum posts

The dried beans and rice dinners sold in supermarket are not only a complete vegetarian source of protein but an irresistable bargain as well. Vigo and Zatarrans are my favorites. I toss the boxes and note how much water and cooking time on the inner envelopes.

October 25, 2014
Quick Reply